Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:09 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Why is this thread on P&C?

It's not political, and having read through it, it's not allowed to be controversial?

Just asking?
Good question..

I think it should be moved to the History section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,605 times
Cornelius Langston Henderson Sr.
He contributed to the design of the Canadian side of the Ambassador Bridge, which connects the United States to Canada; the Thousand Islands and Quebec Bridges over the Saint Lawrence River; and the vertical lift bridges over the Welland Canal. Henderson was the design engineer when the Canadian Bridge Company re-built the Canadian end of the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, which allows automobiles to travel under the Detroit River between the United States and Canada.

Grew up in Detroit and never knew about this great man, please read his story.

Cornelius Langston Henderson Sr. from African American Architects: A Biographical Dictionary 1865-1945 | BookRags.com (http://www.bookrags.com/tandf/cornelius-langston-henderson-sr-tf/ - broken link)

Old 02-02-2011, 08:11 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,298,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that February should be renamed Minority History Month instead. What about the Asians, Hispanics and Native Americans? But go ahead, enjoy your Black History Month, and don't forget to read up about blacks enslaving black people and selling them to others. Or keep up to date on all the genocide going on in Africa today. Or the practice of female circumcision and child brides over in Africa also. The black legacy isn't all flowers and rainbows.
The month of May is Asian-Pacific Islander history month.

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

National Hispance Heritage Month is from September 15th to October 15th.

National Hispanic Heritage Month - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your post shows a staggering degree of ignornace. But I can't say I'm surprised racial prejudice and hatred tends to be driven by ignorance, fear, and insecurity.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I know this is a little off subject but has anyone been watching Way Black When on TvOne? Jim Brown was on the other night and he was talking about how he was the first black actor to kiss a white woman on film. I thought that was kind of interesting...plus I never knew he was a football player
Nat. You're kidding me!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:25 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I just thought he was the guy from the blaxploitation movies. Thats the only place I'd ever seen him. Thanks for the info though I didn't catch his whole interview but it seems he's led an amazing life especially in that time period.
Jim Brown is one of my heroes. I got to interview him in 1994. I asked him a question. He didn't answer right away. He just looked at me, impassively, pensively, for about a minute. Then he said, "You're a very perceptive young man."

Coming from him, I was very happy to hear that.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:25 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The month of May is Asian-Pacific Islander history month.

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

National Hispance Heritage Month is from September 15th to October 15th.

National Hispanic Heritage Month - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your post shows a staggering degree of ignornace. But I can't say I'm surprised racial prejudice and hatred tends to be driven by ignorance, fear, and insecurity.
There SHOULD be just as much exposure of these months as well. How is it fair that we ALL know about black history month.. but not the others?

LGBT History Month - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is in October.

Oh wait. Blacks are the only people ever oppressed in the history of ever!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:30 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
There SHOULD be just as much exposure of these months as well. How is it fair that we ALL know about black history month.. but not the others?

Is in October.

Who says that we (Black folk) only want to hear about our heritage and no one else's? I have posted ad nauseum the links to other heritage months and the people of those heritages/backgrounds are either ignorant of the existence of their heritage month or are simply uninterested.

I would love for people of Scottish, Italian, German, Norwegian, French, etc. descent to share their culture and the history yet they seem to believe that its not important enough to bother.

October is Italian Heritage Month
IRISH AMERICAN HERITAGE
November is Alaska Native Heritage Month
Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month
German American Heritage Month
Jewish American Heritage Month
About - Native American Heritage Month
BK Southie » Russian-American Heritage month kicked off in Brooklyn this past Sunday. (http://www.bksouthie.com/2010/06/russian-american-heritage-month-kicked-off-in-brooklyn-this-past-sunday-2/ - broken link)
August 2010
Denham Resolution Declaring June As 'Portuguese Heritage Month' Passes the Legislature - News - CA State Senator Jeff Denham - CSSRC (http://cssrc.us/web/12/news.aspx?id=8152&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1 - broken link)
National Hispanic Heritage Month
Women's History Month (Library of Congress)
Filipino American History Month - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and there are still more.....

Old 02-03-2011, 04:57 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,354 times
Quote:

Is in October.

Well then it's up to you and the LGBT community to increase exposure and awareness of LGBT history. No one is stopping you, certainly not black people.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:00 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,605 times
Quote:

Is in October.

It's a HOTMESS bringing your moaning and groaning into this thread.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:27 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,980,913 times
Arthur Ashe: Conscience leader, Humanitarian, Educator, Athlete; Monthly Features 2010 - June: Education Commencement Summer Plans

Biography of Althea Gibson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies