Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:56 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

In Rhode Island:

"A cat [named Oscar] with an uncanny ability to detect when nursing home patients are about to die has proven itself in around 50 cases by curling up with them in their final hours, according to a new book. Dr David Dosa, a geriatrician and assistant professor at Brown University, said that five years of records showed Oscar rarely erring, sometimes proving medical staff at the New England nursing home wrong in their predictions over which patients were close to death."

Cat predicts 50 deaths in RI nursing home - Telegraph

Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats in Congress immediately moved to amend their healthcare bill and allocate money for a billion dollar grant to study the cat. After consulting with Cass Sunstein, President Obama is considering Oscar for his Death Panel Czar but will likely wait until after the 2010 elections to appoint him. An unnamed source said Harry Reid was relieved.

<only kidding with the last paragraph>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:15 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
In Rhode Island:

"A cat [named Oscar] with an uncanny ability to detect when nursing home patients are about to die has proven itself in around 50 cases by curling up with them in their final hours, according to a new book. Dr David Dosa, a geriatrician and assistant professor at Brown University, said that five years of records showed Oscar rarely erring, sometimes proving medical staff at the New England nursing home wrong in their predictions over which patients were close to death."

Cat predicts 50 deaths in RI nursing home - Telegraph

Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats in Congress immediately moved to amend their healthcare bill and allocate money for a billion dollar grant to study the cat. After consulting with Cass Sunstein, President Obama is considering Oscar for his Death Panel Czar but will likely wait until after the 2010 elections to appoint him. An unnamed source said Harry Reid was relieved.

<only kidding with the last paragraph>
Quite an unusual story, but one that shows that the animal kingdom is sometimes more atuned to nature than homo sapiens. I especially liked the addendum.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:23 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Oh crap - I had two cats snuggling me all night, that can't bode well

Cool story though. It is interesting that Oscar would want to be close to people who are dying....most animals are scared of death.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Oh crap - I had two cats snuggling me all night, that can't bode well

Cool story though. It is interesting that Oscar would want to be close to people who are dying....most animals are scared of death.
Not if they're hungry....

Health Insurance Death Panel executives applauded the cat thinking it just may hasten death instead of simply predicting it.
They are now looking for more cats to hurry the deaths of seriously ill children......which seriously cuts into their profits

Old 02-02-2010, 07:50 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
You will die in 3 days... meow.
Now give me some milk.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
The cat is perceiving the "death smell"--a phenomenon well known to health care workers who have a good sense of smell--and for whatever reason is attracted to it.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:11 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,701 times
Interesting story and not totally surprising.

Cats are a trip.
Had a cat that sure seemed to know the spouse was pregnant before she did.
Damn thing acted like a chicken sitting on its eggs when it would lay on her belly.
The cats behavior definitely changed from the way it had acted prior to her pregnancy and the way it started behaving did raise my suspicions enough to believe the wife truly was pregnant.
Shortly thereafter, a test confirmed my suspicions and the cat was right.

So, IMO......there are cats that are keenly aware of things like impending death....as well as impending birth.
Cats (and many other animals) are also known to be fairly good at earthquake prediction......very soon before one occurs.
From what I've heard, anyway.

Good story and so was the second paragraph.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:20 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Cool story!

Reminds me of those dogs that can "smell" skin cancer before it's even been diagnosed.

Animals have much to teach humankind.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:24 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
That is an unsuaul story, but not one hard for me to believe. When my husband had his heart attack, our pet foxy a pomerarian would not stay away from my husband, i did not know this happened early early in the morning, the dog would not leave his side. My husband ended up having a 4 by pass operation and is now doing great. But my husband says, that foxy would not leave his side, even just before the pains started happening, so i honestly believe that animals can sense things before they actually happen. Interesting story.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:33 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
It's a freaking cat in a rest home. The odds are pretty good it's gonna decide to sleep with someone that is gonna die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies