Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:34 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
and it was just Rahm being Rahm ... still don't make it right.
Sorry, but I don't see the problem. When conservatives start playing the PC card, then you know we're in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 01:37 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
And the words "uppity" and "nappy" are common insults. But don't tell that to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson when they have their rent-a-mobs riled up at Imus....
Fortunately we have the right wing bigots to teach us all compassion.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:45 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I do not use language like this, but I abhor political correctness. Rham Emanuel is known to be a real insensitive abrasive a**hole, and I do not care what sort of language he uses. He better not, however, try to pull the political correctness card on anyone else outside of his own political persuasion.
My friend once said about teenagers, but it applies to anyone, "it's better to not like what they're saying, than if they're not saying what they really think".

Old 02-04-2010, 01:55 PM

Couth is not a 4 letter word.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:22 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
We became so spineless when the liberals kept insisting on pushing the limits of political correctness to ridiculous extremes in order to further their own agendas. It is only natural that it occasionally bites them in the ass when the media is willing to cover their statements that are derogatory. Most of the time they are swept under the rug while conservatives have statements taken out of context in order to assasinate their character.

But back to your question, society became so spineless from the 90's up until today as the PC police were constantly given more and more power by the left and the mainstream media.
I have disdain for so-called political correctness because pc is artificial and superficial posturing. I don't consider the use of this word a pc issue. It is an issue of civility, understanding and kindness. There is a difference.

Remember, Rahm did not use the word in a complimentary way, but to demean.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I have disdain for so-called political correctness because pc is artificial and superficial posturing. I don't consider the use of this word a pc issue. It is an issue of civility, understanding and kindness. There is a difference.

Remember, Rahm did not use the word in a complimentary way, but to demean.
Sometimes the object of a demeaning term deserves it.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Sometimes the object of a demeaning term deserves it.
I must not have made it clear. The word we are discussing, "retarded" should not be used in a demeaning way because it is not a demeaning word. When we misuse a word routinely, it is perceived in society as acceptable to do so, and it assumes the derogatory connotation that is ascribed to it by such misuse.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I must not have made it clear. The word we are discussing, "retarded" should not be used in a demeaning way because it is not a demeaning word. When we misuse a word routinely, it is perceived in society as acceptable to do so, and it assumes the derogatory connotation that is ascribed to it by such misuse.
Gotcha. Maybe using "effing" before "retarted" gives it a demeaning effect??

Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I couldn't agree more strongly. But I'm afraid you're wasting your breath.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
"David Axelrod, the president's senior advisor, said in an interview: "He's learned something from that -- that words can be hurtful. And you have to be thoughtful about how you use them."

AXELROD's DAUGHTER HAS A DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITY. Lauren Axelrod, 27, suffered irreversible brain damage after nearly two decades of epileptic seizures."

I'm sure David Axelrod didn't appreciate thug Rahm's stupid comment either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies