Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:52 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Are you two deliberately this dense, or are you just wired that way?

The economy is in a shambles nationwide - we can all agree on that, right? Perhaps you didn't know (for instance, if you've been living under a rock for the last year), but Nevada has been hit the hardest by the economic downturn.

With me so far? Good.

Now let me explain something to you two rocket scientists. I don't think I've seen a post in this thread that suggested that the specific advice President Obama gave was bad. Of course it's wise to live within your means and save for your kids' education. Nobody's disputed that.

Still with me?

The forest you're failing to see - and this has been mentioned several times throughout the thread - is that Mr. Obama could have generalized his statement more. He could have said that people probably shouldn't go on lavish vacations, or they could vacation closer to home, etc. Instead, he specifically singled out Las Vegas - again - despite his last foot-in-mouth comment regarding our city.

The bulk of the arguments supporting Obama in this thread have centered around Las Vegas being some sort of cesspool of gambling that's getting what it deserves. The people making those statements are completely oblivious to the makeup of our city and are only doing what they've been conditioned to do - defend the President at all costs, without regard for logic, reason or facts.

Yes, the economy of our city is largely centered around the tourism industry; an industry that naturally suffers during an economic downturn.

A comment such as the one Mr. Obama made, when made by someone as influential as he is, directly impacts the decisions people make. In this case, it's going reduce the number of people that choose to vacation in our city, which will lead to people in the state most dramatically impacted by the financial crisis losing their jobs. We're not talking about millionaire bankers getting a pinkslip - many of those people will be the wives and husbands of the enlisted personnel stationed at Nellis. That's a simple fact, and not one I expect that the self proclaimed "critical thinkers" have considered.

My point was to make people THINK about why they're supporting a person, or a statement a person makes - something that some people clearly aren't capable of doing. Rather than taking the few moments required to contemplate their position, they instead opt to narrow the blinders, lean in and kick the horse again. It's full steam ahead in their unwavering defense of how their favorite politician chose to word what would have otherwise been a sound piece of advice.

But hey, I'm just a guy that actually lives in Las Vegas, seeing what's going on and reading in the local rags about all the canceled conventions, vacations, etc. I couldn't possibly understand the local economic situation and the financial impact made by the last presidential SNAFU better than some "enlightened" individual that lives out of state and has visited the strip a few times, right?

Good valid points. And i look at it this way, where one chooses to spend their money should be their own business. Most people who go to vegas, are not going to spend there child's education money, because most save from WHEN the kids are little. You go to vegas, with vacation money, and money you saved to go to vegas with and just for that purpose. Not everyone who visits L.V.are into heavy gambling just a little here and there. So many do go for the wonderful entertainment, there are unique places to visit on the outskirts, shopping is great, and the most magnificent places to eat. And i agree with you, last year he said something this year, seems he does have something agains't vegas. People's own business where they choose to spend there own money. After all does Obama listen to us, seems he spends where he wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
......I'm sure Mr. Obama is "trembling in his patent leathers"......
YOu give yourself too much credit.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:56 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Are you two deliberately this dense, or are you just wired that way?

The economy is in a shambles nationwide - we can all agree on that, right? Perhaps you didn't know (for instance, if you've been living under a rock for the last year), but Nevada has been hit the hardest by the economic downturn.

With me so far? Good.

Now let me explain something to you two rocket scientists. I don't think I've seen a post in this thread that suggested that the specific advice President Obama gave was bad. Of course it's wise to live within your means and save for your kids' education. Nobody's disputed that.

Still with me?

The forest you're failing to see - and this has been mentioned several times throughout the thread - is that Mr. Obama could have generalized his statement more. He could have said that people probably shouldn't go on lavish vacations, or they could vacation closer to home, etc. Instead, he specifically singled out Las Vegas - again - despite his last foot-in-mouth comment regarding our city.

The bulk of the arguments supporting Obama in this thread have centered around Las Vegas being some sort of cesspool of gambling that's getting what it deserves. The people making those statements are completely oblivious to the makeup of our city and are only doing what they've been conditioned to do - defend the President at all costs, without regard for logic, reason or facts.

Yes, the economy of our city is largely centered around the tourism industry; an industry that naturally suffers during an economic downturn.

A comment such as the one Mr. Obama made, when made by someone as influential as he is, directly impacts the decisions people make. In this case, it's going reduce the number of people that choose to vacation in our city, which will lead to people in the state most dramatically impacted by the financial crisis losing their jobs. We're not talking about millionaire bankers getting a pinkslip - many of those people will be the wives and husbands of the enlisted personnel stationed at Nellis. That's a simple fact, and not one I expect that the self proclaimed "critical thinkers" have considered.

My point was to make people THINK about why they're supporting a person, or a statement a person makes - something that some people clearly aren't capable of doing. Rather than taking the few moments required to contemplate their position, they instead opt to narrow the blinders, lean in and kick the horse again. It's full steam ahead in their unwavering defense of how their favorite politician chose to word what would have otherwise been a sound piece of advice.

But hey, I'm just a guy that actually lives in Las Vegas, seeing what's going on and reading in the local rags about all the canceled conventions, vacations, etc. I couldn't possibly understand the local economic situation and the financial impact made by the last presidential SNAFU better than some "enlightened" individual that lives out of state and has visited the strip a few times, right?
Unnecessary insults aside, that's a good point. He shouldn't have singled out Vegas. But, I think, for a lot of people Vegas represents the place you go to blow your money frivolously.

The fact that he uses Vegas as a colloquial reference is, in a backhanded way, saying that Vegas is an icon representative of far more than just the city it is.

Still, not a smart move on his part.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Has anyone explained yet what is inaccurate about suggesting people not spend money they are saving for education on gambling?

For all the ranting you all are doing, you seem to be missing the fact that what he said is true and good advice.
You seem to miss the fact that not every person who visits Las Vegas gambles. I do, my choice. Many people don't gamble. They go to Vegas for the shows and the world class restaurants. Obama was a jerk to single out Las Vegas. Many are unemployed in Las Vegas because of the economic downturn and this fool is just pouring salt into their wounds.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:59 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
You seem to miss the fact that not every person who visits Las Vegas gambles. I do, my choice. Many people don't gamble. They go to Vegas for the shows and the world class restaurants. Obama was a jerk to single out Las Vegas. Many are unemployed in Las Vegas because of the economic downturn and this fool is just pouring salt into their wounds.
Read my above post and you might understand where I'm coming from. No need to call your president a jerk. Respect for the office is paramount, as Sean Hannity insists.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
YOu give yourself too much credit.
I don't need credit,...I can pay cash,......like I do in Vegas.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:02 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,281,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
....and those two are also,.....are also CHOICES,...and gambles...
Abortion is a choice women now have that they would not have if it were up to most republicans. Gay marriage is a choice where?

Old 02-03-2010, 09:03 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,454,952 times
why isnt he slamming atlantic city?

Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Obama didn't say you shouldn't blow your money in Vegas. Obama said you shouldn't blow your money earmarked for your kid's college tuition in Vegas, or anywhere else for that matter. Understanding the nuance in Obama's statement is critical. But then again, understanding nuance has never been a strong suit among the anti-Obama morons.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Read my above post and you might understand where I'm coming from. No need to call your president a jerk. Respect for the office is paramount, as Sean Hannity insists.
I don't care what Hannity says, I don't like Hannity either. Obama is a jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies