Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
I'm mixed on this one.

Since having never been to Vegas and not a gambler, the remark flew right over as just another way Obama likes to preach to the people.

I was insulted only because I earn my money and should decide how to spend it. Why would I need financial advice from a person who spends other people's money and spends above the means of the people?

It's kind of distasteful advice coming from Obama. These are hard times, yes. Can we ask our Government to stop treating the White House like Vegas? Do they understand the risk in "doubling down" on their failures?
I would guess that most people go to Vegas to enjoy the shows, or just enter the world of glitz and glamor and escape for a while, you know, go on vacation. They may gamble a bit, maybe a hundred or so, but no more then they would spend going to Disney Land.

The point to all this, is that we need to just accept the fact that the hype surrounding 0bama as a great thinker and artful speaker are false. He is just like the rest of us, and he makes stupid comments once in a while, and at times he is too prideful to admit it. The 0-bots simply refuse to allow for the possibility that he makes wondrously stupid comments when not reading off the teleprompter.

Last edited by Wapasha; 02-04-2010 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 10:56 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,952,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The president which is the spokesman for our government made a statement trying to tell people what to do with their own money. A conservative will not back the government trying to tell them what to do with their own money. Its not big governments concern, that is the conservative principle being discussed here.
Me thinks it was a Suggestion, not a demand. If the shoe does not fit then don't worry about it and if the shoe does fit then it was good advice, like some would listen anyway. ANYWAY, This all seems like alot to do about nothing, at least to me.
Casper

Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The president which is the spokesman for our government made a statement trying to tell people what to do with their own money. A conservative will not back the government trying to tell them what to do with their own money. Its not big governments concern, that is the conservative principle being discussed here.
Americans should take financial advise from Mr. Obama. Mr. Obama is the same man who allowed BILLIONS sent to General Motors to support union jobs. General Motors posted a $5 BILLION dollar loss last quarter.

Yep,...Mr. Obama really knows what to do with taxpayer money.

Maybe the odds in Vegas are better than the odds of GM posting a profit.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:09 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Me thinks it was a Suggestion, not a demand. If the shoe does not fit then don't worry about it and if the shoe does fit then it was good advice, like some would listen anyway. ANYWAY, This all seems like alot to do about nothing, at least to me.
Casper
Look at it this way, any business owner would be thrilled if the president complimented your product or service on national TV, stating it was a good investment, and money well spent. Doing the opposite, denigrating your business or product was an example of wasting money, would garner the opposite reaction.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,195,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Maybe Las Vegas needs to lay off building their economy around relieving the suckers of all the cash they have.
Ha! The operative word above is "sucker".

If it wasn't LV, it'd be somewhere (or something) else...

Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,838,230 times
For a City that calls its self "Sin City" and who's motto is "What you do in Vegas, stays in Vegas"...

For a city that smells like urine and vomit, what do you expect.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,952,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Look at it this way, any business owner would be thrilled if the president complimented your product or service on national TV, stating it was a good investment, and money well spent. Doing the opposite, denigrating your business or product was an example of wasting money, would garner the opposite reaction.

Hope that clears it up for you.
Their business is to take your money away from you, hope that clears up the difference bewteen a business and gamblers.
Casper

Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,281,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Where was this insight during the 8 years the Left called Bush every name in the book?
Well deserved for a guy who lied his country into a war that costs the lives of thousands of Americans and countless Iraqis.

Get back to me when Obama starts his own war.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:39 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,230,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Casper
It is not the Presidents job to tell oe suggest individuals what we do with our own money

Old 02-04-2010, 12:49 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,129,983 times
Casper is right.....it is alot of screaming about nothing.....if you are from somewhere else....if you're from Las Vegas and your existance depends upon tourists and you had ALREADY taken one slap from a motormouth President that shoots from the lip, it becomes a BIG DEAL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies