Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:35 PM

190 posts, read 219,774 times

Advertisements

I've got a friend who's black, highly educated, moneyed, and as a result, naturally articulate. However, on a number of occassions, he tells me he'll post messages online only later to reveal his ethnicity, and will be met with comments like, "Are you really black?" and "I thought you were white".

He becomes very angry at these blatant racial stereotypes as do I. Why is it even mentionable when someone black is "articulate". It seems to me that anyone from a wealthy and educated background would be articulate.

I've noticed the same disturbing trend played time and time again in regards to Presidential candidate Barack Obama. His articulateness, put-togetherness, and education, just to name a few, have come up far more often that any previous Presidential candidate I can remember. While these are obviously positive observations, one can't help wonder whether or not these things are mentioned consistently because Obama is black (actually, he's part white and part black), and that those characteristics are not commonly associated with blacks.

It's more a result of socioeconomics than it is ethnicity per se - that and individuals speaking patters and other ways of communication would be shaped by their upbringing. I find it unfortunate and disgusting that despite the numerous strides this country has made in regards to greater racial understanding and acceptance, that there are still very much widely seen negative black stereotypes that seemingly transcend wealth, education, and upbringing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 01:37 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Wow! Your black? I had no idea!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:43 PM

190 posts, read 219,774 times
No, but my friend is and ex girlfriend.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:48 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
No, but my friend is and ex girlfriend.
Just messing with ya.

In all seriousness, I see this happen a lot on other message boards as well. I find it rather odd the way some people react to this as well.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:25 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
Quote:
I've got a friend who's black, highly educated, moneyed, and as a result, naturally articulate. However, on a number of occassions, he tells me he'll post messages online only later to reveal his ethnicity, and will be met with comments like, "Are you really black?" and "I thought you were white".

He becomes very angry at these blatant racial stereotypes as do I. Why is it even mentionable when someone black is "articulate". It seems to me that anyone from a wealthy and educated background would be articulate.

I've noticed the same disturbing trend played time and time again in regards to Presidential candidate Barack Obama. His articulateness, put-togetherness, and education, just to name a few, have come up far more often that any previous Presidential candidate I can remember. While these are obviously positive observations, one can't help wonder whether or not these things are mentioned consistently because Obama is black (actually, he's part white and part black), and that those characteristics are not commonly associated with blacks.

It's more a result of socioeconomics than it is ethnicity per se - that and individuals speaking patters and other ways of communication would be shaped by their upbringing. I find it unfortunate and disgusting that despite the numerous strides this country has made in regards to greater racial understanding and acceptance, that there are still very much widely seen negative black stereotypes that seemingly transcend wealth, education, and upbringing.
Yes. Those stereotypes still exist; primarily in the minds of people who either don't personally know one or more Black persons, or who don't want to know any and prefer to hold on to those stereotypes in order to justify--as it it's possible--their unfounded opinions and views.

The primary offer of proof is usually "well, turn on the TV and all you see are black people committing crimes" etc., etc. These, again, are the people who either don't know or don't want to know Black persons. If they did, they'd reject and condemn the imagery they see and read every bit as much as we do.

I'm not hear to say that there's not a percentage of our community that isn't chronically poor, under-educated and crime-prone. Rather, that some people still choose to accept the least of us as the example of us.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:26 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:

""""It seems to me that anyone from a wealthy and educated background would be articulate. """"

Haven't met George Bush yet?

"""He becomes very angry at these blatant racial stereotypes as do I. Why is it even mentionable when someone black is "articulate". """

Because not everyone(black, white , or in between) IS articulate. I'm thinking of the trouble Biden got in when he described Obama as, among other things , "clean". I understood what he meant and it had nothing to do with how often he showered or washed his clothes. I also thought it when I first saw him give a speech...clean as in "new", "fresh", "bright"....and articulate because he IS exceptionally (for anyone) articulate not because he's black.
If someone is surprised he's articulate because he's black...well, there are just really ignorant people in the world and I don't think that will change.

But now maybe you and your friend may have a greater insight into what women face with sexual stereotyping...it's as harmful but much more subtle and insidious.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:41 PM

383 posts, read 722,827 times
To me the media has only hurt themselves really. By trying to some black men seem like suave, cool, rough, or a bad boy when they're portrayed on tv. Alot of women already like bad boys or men who are confident and sure of themselves. I don't think the people in the media who want to portray a negative image are helping their case. Some of the questions i have been asked by girls of diffrent races are shocking. Especially the women who grew up in the suburbs. Its like they automatically think they're life will be full of adventure or very exciting if they date a black male. Like being with a black male is the cool thing to do. So it some cases stereotyping has hurt the people who put in out their.

The streotyping is kind of stupid though about black or black men in general. Since the egyptians were the first to do everything. The first language, water irrigation system, medicine, engineering system, all by black men.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:45 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
""""It seems to me that anyone from a wealthy and educated background would be articulate. """"

Haven't met George Bush yet?

"""He becomes very angry at these blatant racial stereotypes as do I. Why is it even mentionable when someone black is "articulate". """

Because not everyone(black, white , or in between) IS articulate. I'm thinking of the trouble Biden got in when he described Obama as, among other things , "clean". I understood what he meant and it had nothing to do with how often he showered or washed his clothes. I also thought it when I first saw him give a speech...clean as in "new", "fresh", "bright"....and articulate because he IS exceptionally (for anyone) articulate not because he's black.
If someone is surprised he's articulate because he's black...well, there are just really ignorant people in the world and I don't think that will change.

But now maybe you and your friend may have a greater insight into what women face with sexual stereotyping...it's as harmful but much more subtle and insidious.

I understand the point of the OP and agree it does exist. I disagree in the case of Obama though. I agree with Who?Me?! on the Obama point. He comes across as exceptionally polished when compared with the vast majority of people, not only when compared to stereotype. I think that's what most people mean when they refer to him in that way.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:45 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,649 times
Quote:

Kudos! and many reps to you for bringing up an important subject. This is all too true.

On a similar note, people often tell me, "I'm not prejudiced; so and so who works with me, I consider him COMPLETELY equal to me." What I tell people is "Don't give me your answer, but if you want to know if that is indeed true, ask yourself if you would be OK with your daughter marrying a black man or you having black or mixed grandchildren."

Old 01-29-2008, 03:12 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,216 times
OK. If you mention that Obama is intelligent, articulate, clean, refreshing etc..I see no problem with it. Reason is, those things about him are TRUE and they are positive things!

Shoot look at all the old cronies there are in politics. Half of them go on..and on..and on when they talk. And the audience either doesn't know what they are saying, are too bored to care or can't relate to the drivel. So we really don't have many people in politics that are articulate and energetic and interesting in the public eye. Half of them (Maybe all of them??) have the public ticked off so bad or a few good scandals under their belt so that the term "Clean" never really comes to mind for most either. If I were Obama I would give a gracious THANKS! And leave it at that.

If you say "For a black guy you are articulate etc, etc" then there is a big issue IMO. And the best response sometimes is none at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies