Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:40 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times

Advertisements

Is there no end to all this flip-flopping only to disagree with everything?

washingtonpost.com

Three years ago, Republican Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) was pretty clear about his stand on the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

A former war hero, McCain said he would support ending the ban once the military's top brass told him they were okay with it.

"The day that the leadership of the military comes to me and says, 'Senator, we ought to change the policy,' then I think we ought to consider seriously changing it because those leaders in the military are the ones we give the responsibility to," McCain told an audience of college students during the "Hardball" college tour on MSNBC.

That day arrived Tuesday, with Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates and Joint Chiefs Chairman Mike Mullen testifying to senators following President Obama's announcement that he would seek a congressional repeal of the controversial 15-year-old policy.

In response, the Arizona senator declared himself "disappointed" in the testimony by Mullen and Gates. The senator said Gates should be asking whether to repeal the ban, not acting as if it had already been repealed.
"At this moment of immense hardship for our armed services, we should not be seeking to overturn the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy," McCain said bluntly, before describing it as "imperfect but effective."

Since losing to Obama in the 2008 election, McCain has become a consistent critic of the president
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
He's trying to appeal to the hardcore right-wingers who plan to vote for his challenger in the upcoming Arizona Republican Primary Election.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:47 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
At least with JD Heydrich you know what you're getting. McCain can't remember his position on anything from day to day

Old 02-02-2010, 03:48 PM

293 posts, read 570,825 times
...maybe McCain thought that people were not writing down what he was saying about the issue? Either way he looks like a partisan hack right now.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:53 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Is there no end to all this flip-flopping only to disagree with everything?

washingtonpost.com

Three years ago, Republican Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) was pretty clear about his stand on the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

A former war hero, McCain said he would support ending the ban once the military's top brass told him they were okay with it.

"The day that the leadership of the military comes to me and says, 'Senator, we ought to change the policy,' then I think we ought to consider seriously changing it because those leaders in the military are the ones we give the responsibility to," McCain told an audience of college students during the "Hardball" college tour on MSNBC.

That day arrived Tuesday, with Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates and Joint Chiefs Chairman Mike Mullen testifying to senators following President Obama's announcement that he would seek a congressional repeal of the controversial 15-year-old policy.

In response, the Arizona senator declared himself "disappointed" in the testimony by Mullen and Gates. The senator said Gates should be asking whether to repeal the ban, not acting as if it had already been repealed.
"At this moment of immense hardship for our armed services, we should not be seeking to overturn the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy," McCain said bluntly, before describing it as "imperfect but effective."

Since losing to Obama in the 2008 election, McCain has become a consistent critic of the president
This is 0bama not being an "ideologue" by wanting to overturn US law, and military policy that could adversely affect moral, in the middle of a war.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:53 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,873,110 times
This fossil needs to retire,he's an embarrassment to himself and the Republican party,no suprise here he can't seem to remember how many homes he owns and now he forgets where he stands on the issues.We and Obama can thank him for our current Administration.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:56 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
John McCain lost all political credibility in my eyes, in the last election.

Him pandering to conservatives who he personally disagrees with, is nothing new.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:57 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
At least with JD Heydrich you know what you're getting. McCain can't remember his position on anything from day to day
McCain's "Senior Moments" are becoming more apparent every day, not that they weren't obvious when he ran for President.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
I have a lot of respect for what he has given for this Country. I used to be a supporter of his, politically. Was even leaning toward him in 2008, until, he picked Palin as a running mate. How he allowed the campaign to be run, was also disappointing. Since the election, he has just continued to disappoint. It's sad, he really used to stand for something.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:05 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I have a lot of respect for what he has given for this Country. It's sad, he really used to stand for something.
I think he has forgotten what he used to stand for - it happens with old age.
I don't think Lieberman whispering in his ear all the time
helps matters much either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies