Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,799,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
I'd like to see both parties rise above the mudslinging and make it about the issues rather than justify dumbing down my side.
Don't give the world so much material, and there will be an empty stage for "spotlight on dumb". Who did you offer up as republican? A fiscal liberal? Talk about DUMB. (But let's conveniently blame McCain for his constituency's hateful, irrational, ignorance )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 09:35 AM

38,041 posts, read 22,214,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So it's not so much of "...look what I did" campaigning. It's more like "..look how bad the Republicans are".

IMO one should campaign on their own merits, not by pointed fingers and barbs to the contender.

Obama prescribes election plan to Democrats: Lead - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100204/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama - broken link)

snippet:

"In a blunt election prescription for his own skittish party, President Barack Obama on Wednesday implored Democratic leaders to swing big, be honest with an angry public and expose any obstructionism by Republicans.
Let policy be our politics, Obama told the senators, and make sure everyone knows about petty acts by the opposition."
When you cannot stand on your own accomplishments and truthfully articulate your agenda, then just blame the other guys for your failure and ineptitude.

The thread title is not accurate, there isn't any mud to throw at republicans, unless democrats are throwing mud they scraped off themselves and claiming it belongs to the republicans.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:29 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,308,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
When you cannot stand on your own accomplishments and truthfully articulate your agenda, then just blame the other guys for your failure and ineptitude.
Like Republicans blaming Obama for the economic dire straits we find ourselves in?

I knew you'd come around!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,315,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So it's not so much of "...look what I did" campaigning. It's more like "..look how bad the Republicans are".

IMO one should campaign on their own merits, not by pointed fingers and barbs to the contender.

Obama prescribes election plan to Democrats: Lead - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100204/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama - broken link)

snippet:

"In a blunt election prescription for his own skittish party, President Barack Obama on Wednesday implored Democratic leaders to swing big, be honest with an angry public and expose any obstructionism by Republicans.
Let policy be our politics, Obama told the senators, and make sure everyone knows about petty acts by the opposition."
Barack learned his Alinsky lessons very well. Old Saul said that when things get tough you mash the accelerator to the floor and that is just what Obama has called for from his friends. Yep, he did learn his Alinsky lessons very well.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Been paying the AMT for years and years, dearie.

Then they hold 90% of the wealth. It's a funny thing about income taxes. If you match up income taxes paid with share of wealth owned, you get virtually the same curve all the way along the income scale. Republicans don't want you to think about that, though. They want you to think that wealthy people are being soaked somehow.

By the way, you definitely don't want to talk about ALL taxes. Things like payroll and federal excise taxes fall disproportionately on the poor. State and local taxes also.
I have wondered ever since Obama came out with his payroll taxes claim just what kind that is. Could you explain to me what they are? I have always considered payroll taxes to be income withholding, SS, and Medicare. Are their others that weren't there when I stopped being in the withholding group?

From your talk about excise taxes, I see that you don't believe they should be the same for everybody. When will the present Democrat controlled Congress do something about that? You know like make them progressive determined by how much money the person has.

Really what do you people mean when you say withholding taxes? Do you know that SS tax rates are set by law? How about the Medicare taxes. Aren't they done according to law and rules the IRS follows. I know you know that SS taxes are determined by law and didn't Congress set them?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Don't give the world so much material, and there will be an empty stage for "spotlight on dumb". Who did you offer up as republican? A fiscal liberal? Talk about DUMB. (But let's conveniently blame McCain for his constituency's hateful, irrational, ignorance )
I don't mind being called racist because I voted against Obama by voting for McCain, but I do take exception to that hateful, irrational, ignorant crap because I don't agree with you.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,467,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

The thread title is not accurate, there isn't any mud to throw at republicans, unless democrats are throwing mud they scraped off themselves and claiming it belongs to the republicans.
I like everything you have said here, and not in a mean way either. But true. How can Obama be proud of his accomplishments and agenda, when it has failed him. Seems oh to easy, to blame others for the mistakes you yourself make.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,326,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Ummm, okay. Care to tell me how tax cuts to 96% of Americans increases tax revenue and pays down debt?
Come on, it was a play on the Obama lie that 95% of us would get a tax cut.
I just added another 1% to make it look better.

Remember the Obama lie about the 95% of us getting a tax cut.

So, I ask you the same question.

Even if he did give us all a tax cut, ( which he did not ) why aren't you asking him how is 95% tax cut would pay down the debt.

Especially since he is piling the debt on us so fast we cannot keep track of it.

I will be waiting on your answer because if you didnt think it would work if you thought it was my idea, I wonder how you think Obama's would.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:21 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,326,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't mind being called racist because I voted against Obama by voting for McCain, but I do take exception to that hateful, irrational, ignorant crap because I don't agree with you.

I know, the racist rants get old. The real racist were those 95% of one group who voted for Obama just because they "thought" or were told he was black.
Boy did they get fooled because da man is not black in the first place.

If I voted for Obama I would not even be admitting it right now with all his failures adding up daily.

How can a proven failure such as Obama be giving someone else advice is beyond me.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,308,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Come on, it was a play on the Obama lie that 95% of us would get a tax cut.
I just added another 1% to make it look better.

Remember the Obama lie about the 95% of us getting a tax cut.

So, I ask you the same question.

Even if he did give us all a tax cut, ( which he did not ) why aren't you asking him how is 95% tax cut would pay down the debt.

Especially since he is piling the debt on us so fast we cannot keep track of it.

I will be waiting on your answer because if you didnt think it would work if you thought it was my idea, I wonder how you think Obama's would.
It doesn't make sense as far as paying down debt, but it does make sense in the realm of jumpstarting the economy.

While Obama has mentioned that he's concerned about the debt, he's ALSO made it clear that priority one is getting the economy moving again.

The Republicans have, in the meantime, criticized him for the massive defecit, while screaming that they want MORE TAX CUTS MORE TAX CUTS MORE TAX CUTS!!!

So from what I can tell, Obama is at least making some sense whereas the Republicans want their cake and be able to eat it too on this one....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies