Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:46 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Liberals do seem to be more condescending and smug than other political ideologies (with the exception of "that wasn't real Communism" Communists and some Neocons). I say this as someone with more liberal sympathies than conservative sympathies. I also find that they are quicker to turn on you as well. For example, I remember John Stossel (who is a libertarian) mentioning that he often speaks to both liberal and conservative groups. He speaks about his positions on various issues healthcare privatization, anti-war, school vouchers, gay marriage, welfare reform, drug legalization, and so on. Now, he said that he tends to give the same speeches to the various groups. He said that after he does speaks to a conservative audience he tends to get people who come up to him and say, " I disagree with you on this, this, and this, but I like your views on" while liberals come up to him and either accuse him of hating poor people or being a corporate shill. Although he did say that he has had more liberals come up and say that he has changed their mind about an issue, but generally speaking they are often angry or accuse him of a hidden motive.
The smug from San Francisco is heading to meet the smug from Southpark. Then there's this other smug from George Clooney's acceptance speech also heading that way. It's the making of a perfect smug storm. THE SMUG IS COMING THE SMUG IS COMING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 08:47 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
My personal observation (not scientific) is that they are self-congratulatory, that is, the motivation for doing things is so they can feel special/good about themselves. If they can't raise themselves, they have to lower you to achieve that feeling.

I highly recommend this episode of South Park called Smug Alert. You can watch it for free on the show's website:

South Park Episode Player - Smug Alert

Old 02-07-2010, 08:53 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Liberals do seem to be more condescending and smug than other political ideologies (with the exception of "that wasn't real Communism" Communists and some Neocons). I say this as someone with more liberal sympathies than conservative sympathies. I also find that they are quicker to turn on you as well. For example, I remember John Stossel (who is a libertarian) mentioning that he often speaks to both liberal and conservative groups. He speaks about his positions on various issues healthcare privatization, anti-war, school vouchers, gay marriage, welfare reform, drug legalization, and so on. Now, he said that he tends to give the same speeches to the various groups. He said that after he does speaks to a conservative audience he tends to get people who come up to him and say, " I disagree with you on this, this, and this, but I like your views on" while liberals come up to him and either accuse him of hating poor people or being a corporate shill. Although he did say that he has had more liberals come up and say that he has changed their mind about an issue, but generally speaking they are often angry or accuse him of a hidden motive.
Frank ! ...

An excellent descriptive post regarding the Thread content!

The few Liberal Leaning folks way up here on the East Coast are much the same way ... They cannot accept an opposing political view and as a result of this acute malady they literally become somewhat "Unhinged" as they spew forth a deluge of malicious postulated accusations !

It appears that some of these folks may be seriously lacking the logical and commonsense approach of simply debating the opposing issues in the true spirit of American Politics ... which of course should not hinge on the fanatical vindictiveness so apparent among the Republicans and Democrats these days !

The sad state of American politics these days !

Thanks / Lamar

Old 02-07-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My personal observation (not scientific) is that they are self-congratulatory, that is, the motivation for doing things is so they can feel special/good about themselves. If they can't raise themselves, they have to lower you to achieve that feeling.

I highly recommend this episode of South Park called Smug Alert. You can watch it for free on the show's website:

South Park Episode Player - Smug Alert
LauraC ! ... A most accurate assessment indeed ! Thanks / Lamar

Old 02-07-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
For some reason, a lot of them view themselves as intellectuals. However, they're on the same level as mac users and volvo drivers. Many feel the mac is superior, but in reality, it's just like any other PC, but less of a target because few people actually use them. A lot of ignorant people also feel that volvo's are "safer" cars, but they're actually just driven by more people that are looking for a safe car and drive more cautiously.
The beauty of this is it's easy to mess with their heads. They generally are incapable of thinking for themselves, are easily manipulated, and gullible as hell.
You just can't say it any better than this !

Your last paragraph is an absolute "Gem" and it truly says it all regarding these extremely delusional folks !

Thanks / Lamar

Old 02-07-2010, 09:16 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The smug from San Francisco is heading to meet the smug from Southpark. Then there's this other smug from George Clooney's acceptance speech also heading that way. It's the making of a perfect smug storm. THE SMUG IS COMING THE SMUG IS COMING!
one of the best episodes ever and I still give all the prius drivers the thumbs up when I drive by. They probably think I'm doing it in approval of their smugness, though.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
one of the best episodes ever and I still give all the prius drivers the thumbs up when I drive by. They probably think I'm doing it in approval of their smugness, though.
"Say, is that a hybrid?"
"Why yes it is."
"Good for you!"
"Thanks"

Old 02-07-2010, 09:52 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
So let me see if I understand this thread, the general consensus among conservatives is that liberals express feelings of intellectual superiority, and to prove the point you provide an excerpt from "South Park". Oh the irony.......

You surely have to see how funny this is?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:01 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
almost better than the irony of someone criticizing South Park in the way you just did. You obviously have never watched it and even if you did, I'm sure you wouldn't get it.

thanks

Old 02-07-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So let me see if I understand this thread, the general consensus among conservatives is that liberals express feelings of intellectual superiority, and to prove the point you provide an excerpt from "South Park". Oh the irony.......

You surely have to see how funny this is?
The SouthPark episode came from seeing people's reaction to seeing someone driving a Prius Hybrid. They saw this smug attitude and wrote the funniest bit of satire about the whole thing. What makes it even worse is the reason why other hybrid cars weren't sell as well as the Prius is because they don't look like a hybrid. With the Prius, it's obvious it's a hybrid. Until the Honda Insight, all other hybrids were traditional sedans converted into a hybrid. People were driving Prius cars to be SEEN driving a Prius car and acting like their poop don't stink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies