Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,817,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
One problem. You forgot to take in mind food expenses and utilities. Food is getting more expensive.Utilities are something to think about as well. How do you do that on $3.hour?
Utilities don't cost much in apartments, and you can make meals cheap, at least I know how to. The $3 isn't etched in stone, could be $5, tax free, which isn't much less than taxed minimum wage.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
Indeed I have.

I used to be a neo-con. Then, I wound up homeless, living in an NYC shelter for some five months.

Not as bad as I thought it would be...but, bad enough. I held a low wage job all along. It took me that long to save up deposit/rent/finders fee for this walk in closet I rent for $500 a month.

Sorry if I sound l'm feeling sorry for myself; I'm really not. Some of the people I saw in the shelter make me feel blessed. I remember this one poor guy...he had some kind of spinal disease...he couldn't stand up straight. I used to see him headed down to the shower, hunched over...

How is a man like that going to find a job?

The shelter guards were shameless d--k-offs that treated all of us like animals. (well, most, not all; some were decent) I imagine they get real nice benefits & pay. The taxpayer is getting reamed.

If you call yourself a Christian, and chime in with those so-called "Conservatives" who think that the safety net is full of people who are takin' their ease on the public dole, and advocate "cracking down" on some of those unfortunates...it makes me wonder what Bible you're reading, and which Jesus you are worshiping.
I am not saying that everyone collecting welfare can work, some have disabilities, and I'm not saying that it is a panacea for all of our ills. My plan allows companies to use cheap labor (they don't need to cover benefits, a major employer expense), to make their products more competitive, and at the same time give able body workers a job, and chance to improve their lot in life. While I was never in a shelter, I have done the daily labor thing, and if they don't call your number, you go home without a check, and have to figure out how you will make the rent. I don't think I am being unduly harsh on ANYONE. If anything the free apartment and free medical in and of itself is generous. I am looking for ways to stimulate the economy, besides throwing tax dollars at bankers who are 'too rich to fail'. I see a lot of criticism of my idea, but not any other new ideas, besides a lot of wishing and hoping that people will be more giving, and that the fat cat crooks will get justice - not going to happen. Just going along with the status-quo will progress us into a depression with no forseeable end.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:43 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,172,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Utilities don't cost much in apartments, and you can make meals cheap, at least I know how to. The $3 isn't etched in stone, could be $5, tax free, which isn't much less than taxed minimum wage.
Why pay them at all, lets just round up all the minorities and accuse them of some sort of crime. (It doesn't matter spitting on the sidewalk will do) Then we'll make them work in the factories for free. They can live in a barracks and we can feed them twice a day. ( beans and rice will do) This way we will have the costs down to almost nothing and the CEO's can get even larger bonuses.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:52 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,172,084 times
Wait wait I have a better idea lets create a ruling class. The ruling class will be the top 1% and all others will work for them. They'll just set the work and pay rules and if you don't like you can just go to jail. We can do away with public education cause we know that uneducated people work cheaper and complain less. The ruling class can pick who they want educated and to what level.

Oh wait never mind I think this is in the Republican platform.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,199,185 times
America needs sweatshops. Then we could compete much easier on the world market. It would also be a good idea to abolish unions; they demand too much. Middle-management should also make concessions, such as no pay for any time away from the job, even vacations.
I wonder if anyone considered a repeal of the Fair Standards Labor Act of 1938. Before that was passed it was okay to send children to work in factories. That's quite a vast source of cheap labor.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:49 AM

241 posts, read 252,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Wait wait I have a better idea lets create a ruling class. The ruling class will be the top 1% and all others will work for them. They'll just set the work and pay rules and if you don't like you can just go to jail. We can do away with public education cause we know that uneducated people work cheaper and complain less. The ruling class can pick who they want educated and to what level.

Oh wait never mind I think this is in the Republican platform.
What are you, some kind of bleeding heart pinko? I know of a way that we can cure both unemployment and hunger in America once and for all.
PM me so that I can tell you about my modest proposal...

Old 02-11-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Why pay them at all, lets just round up all the minorities and accuse them of some sort of crime. (It doesn't matter spitting on the sidewalk will do) Then we'll make them work in the factories for free. They can live in a barracks and we can feed them twice a day. ( beans and rice will do) This way we will have the costs down to almost nothing and the CEO's can get even larger bonuses.
We could return to slavery - that worked well in the past, as did the exploitation of 3rd world countries, though that's a bit harder to get away with nowadays.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:45 PM

791 posts, read 1,435,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah yes of course View Post
Hmm, I wonder who is responsible for that belief...

Oddly enough, I'm a dedicated admirer of the Great Communicator.

He got a job in the depths of the Great Depression as a radio announcer. They gave him a record of some baseball game, and asked him to announce it as if he'd been there.

He did so, admirably, and got the job. As happens so often, self made men have little toleralence for the less fortunate/

Old 02-18-2010, 06:41 AM

871 posts, read 1,632,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The $3/hr is just a starting point for the permanent low-wage workforce we need to enable our manufacturing base to return. Housing is the main living expense, so use the low wage earners to built the subsidized housing, provide day-care, etc.

Provide them with subsidized healthcare and higher education, giving them an upwards path. Many youth join the military for just this reason. This would be open to anyone wanting to participate.

This plan would provide, in effect, a non-military alternative. Of course, there will be those who just refuse to work, sorry - no Welfare for you!

Unproductive, stagnant unemployment would be replaced with productive nearly full employment.

America needs to replace Welfare mentality with Work mentality.

No more free ride. Let our manufacturing compete with other countries.

It will benefit the workers as much or more than the government and companies.

this is a great idea actually. i got this idea myself when i was watching the fifth element of all things. i noticed how small and efficient the living space was like cublicles but provided everything he needed and some dignity. all in one type deal. i think creating a whole bunch of them cheaply with a small cafeteria and mailbox in a large warehouse type facility would be good. that and bus transportation for different factory work etc or built where the jobs are being done or created.

there is always a way to make things more efficient. if someone wants to move out of this type of living arrangement can just get more education etc.

this would take care of people and it would be set up simpler for people to have a solid base to work from to be productive and have goals.

the other aspect is i saw similar setups when i was in korea. this is one of the smartest aspect i witnessed about korea. they have many places called goshiwons or one rooms. all utilities, some food, common kitchen and bathrooms were all placed in dorm like settings. these are everywhere in what looks to be office buildings. as a matter of fact, it is in office and business buildings and there are copious amounts of businesses within the buildings as well. in my building there were several restaurants and businesses which is common. the bottom floor is often all businesses. it included a twin bed, small tv, small fridge and a small storage space for your things (some have built in desks and cubbies for storage). it is about the size of a large walk in closet and then the sizes can vary a bit more for more money. some includes personal bathrooms. it includes all utilities as well as internet and basic cable. they also provided very basic amenities to help out such as rice, eggs, kimchi, ramen (available for anyone in the common kitchen) and of course shared kitchen and bathroom for each floor. there is an attendant on duty for each floor but these were not for just college students but for anyone starting out, divorcees, between jobs, even single mothers (only one child) as long as they keep their kids behaved. they also provided basic one set of linens like blanket, sheet (which you return when you leave), and pillow as well as cheap soap and toothpaste. there was floors for women and men. the prices vary from 200 a month (the walkin closet size) on up to a bit larger spaces (usually large room size with small bath/shower/no tub). so if you want more space, you will need to earn more to afford it. of course, they have a great and clean mass transit system though. i think in some ways they are more advanced. there was no deposit or very minimal and no leases. in america, you have to have money for many deposits, credit checks and everything seems like it drags down productivity and that is really most important as well as basic human rights to start. there is too much excuses and blue tape in america over the most trivial things which seems to nitpick someone's life to death.

even monthly motels are very expensive in america (cheapest will be around 200 a week if you are lucky and hopefully they won't be seedy, usually they are around 300 a week which is expensive and just keeps you in the same situation) not enough to save money and transportation can be a big problem.

i think because of the way i saw it's set up in korea, it gives the individual some sense of dignity and not an outcast but a part of society. the most important aspect is efficiency and realism. it's all set up to be efficient for everyone.

they don't have subsidized housing/vouchers/blue tape and all that useless bogged down rigamarole (it's more straightforward and upfront) there but do have a workfare so to speak that you are talking about. they help you to have some dignity and build a life for yourself. of course this isn't very ideal for long so that's the incentive. work, go to school, save money etc and move out or move to better living establishments.

in america, this may not work well unless they have real rules for civility that are enforced. people were not blasting music to disturb others or having all kinds of guests over, wild parties, doing drug deals, or just satisfied with that life. there would definitely have to be rules pertaining to the living arrangement or they should be kicked out. as someone mentioned before in another thread, if people have a degenerate frame of mind, they don't care about living in slimey conditions figurately or literally. there is more dredge of society in america considering it's a first world country and many are natives. there is also a lack of professionalism or general neatness. people are too relaxed or too uptight. there is no real sane balance. people think living well is living high or gluttonous (too much materialism) or else you live like a rat with no manners or no sense of dignity.

Last edited by rory00; 02-18-2010 at 07:24 AM..

Old 02-18-2010, 07:26 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,282,573 times
I stopped at the local Pub one evening and was sitting next to the owner and noted there was a lot of people coming in that evening, he said, it's check day(welfare or ss dis check). My point is, if these people can find time to spend at the bar, they can find time to work at least a couple of hours a day to earn their money, food stamps and sec 8 housing. at least we would get a little something in return for our buck and at the same time maybe, just maybe they would learn a little work ethic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies