Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:12 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,858,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
This is true but Palin writing notes on her hand is pretty pathetic.

Then she does not even have the awareness to not show her hands to the camera.

Palin has many issues.

However the fact that Robert Gibbs had to mock Palin tells us alot about the maturity level of our leaders in Washington.

Like I said -a bunch of Children.
I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 07:29 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,928,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
That has diddly to do with this thread. The then press secretary was not ridiculing a person who held an opposing view. Apples and oranges.
It has EVERYTHING to do with this thread. It's an example of the White House Press Secretary joking with the press corps in the briefing room. Something press secretaries have been doing for a long, long time. And the joking hasn't damaged the dignity of the White House before, but somehow a little joke, a harmless joke, now does. The press briefing room is not as formal as other parts of the White House. Reporters shout out questions, it can be a raucous, noisy atmosphere. Part of the Press Secretary's job is to cultivate a relationship with the reporters assigned to the White House, and humor is one of the ways such relationships are nurtured. The Press Secretary wasn't mocking Mrs Palin's opposing views, he was mocking her for cribbing notes in her palm during a speech where she took a knock at the President for using a teleprompter. And it's not like Mrs Palin doesn't use teleprompters.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:46 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,222,169 times
i kinda feel that the White House ought to keep quiet. Let the comedians make fun of Palin. It brings back memories of when Mc Cain
s campaign advisors were working with Palin on her debate with Joe Biden and she would get the two Joe's mixed up, Joe Biden and Joe Liberman, so after a whole day of coaching Palin, and she still would get mixed up, they told her, just ask Joe Biden, "Do you mind if I just call you, Joe".

Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
i kinda feel that the White House ought to keep quiet. Let the comedians make fun of Palin. It brings back memories of when Mc Cain
s campaign advisors were working with Palin on her debate with Joe Biden and she would get the two Joe's mixed up, Joe Biden and Joe Liberman, so after a whole day of coaching Palin, and she still would get mixed up, they told her, just ask Joe Biden, "Do you mind if I just call you, Joe".
If the White House held a press conference just for the purpose of mocking Palin, then I might agree with you. But there are daily press briefings in the briefing room at the White House, and joking between the Press Secretary and the press corps is a regular part of the discourse there.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,074,974 times
It doesn't bother me. He's got to have the worst job in the world. I'd rather shovel manure than do what he does for a living, shilling for the President and painting everything in the crapper as a bed of roses.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:04 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,765,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
Yep, a grown woman who has to write **** on her hand so she can remember? Pathetic... from someone in politics who holds a position of power and gives speeches often?

She's a stone cold idiot and that's a fact.....
She could have used a teleprompter. That would have given far more material for the dolts on the left. Gibbs is losing his touch and one would think there are far more serious issues at hand than what is written on one.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:10 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,305,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I'm surprised that she didn't mispell "hi mom" ... HIE mom! I wonder what flunky thought up that precious little piece of jockularity.
For future reference, you mispelled jocularity.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:15 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,337,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It has EVERYTHING to do with this thread. It's an example of the White House Press Secretary joking with the press corps in the briefing room. Something press secretaries have been doing for a long, long time. And the joking hasn't damaged the dignity of the White House before, but somehow a little joke, a harmless joke, now does. The press briefing room is not as formal as other parts of the White House. Reporters shout out questions, it can be a raucous, noisy atmosphere. Part of the Press Secretary's job is to cultivate a relationship with the reporters assigned to the White House, and humor is one of the ways such relationships are nurtured. The Press Secretary wasn't mocking Mrs Palin's opposing views, he was mocking her for cribbing notes in her palm during a speech where she took a knock at the President for using a teleprompter. And it's not like Mrs Palin doesn't use teleprompters.
There is a huge difference between joking with the reporters about a little known disease (at the time) and calling out, mocking, and ridiculing a person of the opposition. There is no comparison. Even the reporters in the room were not pleased by this stunt. I cannot fathom either Tony Snow or Dana Perrino engaging in such childish behavior, but it's par for the course with this thin-skinned administration. It just makes him look partisan and not only that, it makes the POTUS's claims that he wishes to move forward in a bi-partisan fashion seem disingenuous and a big fat farce... which we all knew anyways.

I think you are missing the point though. I don't have a problem with Dave Letterman or Jon Stewart et al making fun of her for writing notes on her hand. It does seem a bit odd to do in this day and age of technology. Write it in your blackberry or w/e. I just think that for Mr. Gibbs to engage in the ridicule is beneath his office, and further shows the public that this administration has no intention of courting and including the opposition in any substantive manner as they claim they wish to do.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:15 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,268,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I would rather Obama remember there are not 58 states without using a teleprompter! I'd rather Obama focus on the problems at hand. Obama is the POTUS and needs to get his *ss to work.

Palin is not an elected official so why should the White House worry with her....other than maybe deflection, to take the heat and focus off the pathetic job Obama is doing.
Calm down Francis. Did you forget the topic of this thread? Yeah that's right, it's about Gibbs, NOT Obama. I know, I know you righties get panties into such a twist all the time about Obama that you just ASSume Obama is the one who did this particular incident we're talking about. And newsflash: what exactly do you think he's doing as president, picking his nose? Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but he IS focusing on the problems at hand. You know, all those press conferences & such that the righties complain about so much? That's him doing his job & getting the word out. Fixing problems....must be a new concept for some.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
For future reference, you mispelled jocularity.
I thought it was deliberate. A reference to Mrs Palin's athleticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies