Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:49 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
#22 Today, 10:31 AM
TrueIsraelite
befriend
Status: "Trying to keep my sanity among the sheeple idiots here" (set 4 hours ago) Join Date: Jan 2010
203 posts, read 22,168 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR
If that's not fearing change, people not liek you or hate then I don't know what is.

It's not fear its truth of what will happen if we let liberal and multicultists keep their campaign of destroying America up.

Given the fact that you put yourself at an intellectually disadvantaged and biased position due to your beliefs of "white nationalism" I'm still very interested in how the "liberals" and "multicultists" when usher in a society represented in the film.

Please slowly and in detail explain?

It just may be an interesting topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 12:54 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Wait. I clicked on the link, and watched the trailer, and noticed that this is based on Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron". What a great story!

The idea is that in the future, the exceptional are punished to make everyone equal. Are you strong? We'll strap weights onto your body that you must drag around. Smart? We'll make you wear distracting headphones. Handsome? Here's a mask to wear. That sort of thing. It's equality achieved by lowering everyone to a low common denominator. (A system which the story's protagonist bucks)
Vonnegut's tale is an EXCELLENT warning of the consequences of what happens when a dystopian society forces artificial egalitarianism. Everyone is forced down to the lowest common denominator. Then, hey... everyone's equal.

For those who wish to read it:
Harrison Bergeron

Old 02-11-2010, 01:12 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Just like communism. All will be equal but some will be more equal than others.

And that's different than the staus quo in America how???

Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 PM

536 posts, read 414,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Given the fact that you put yourself at an intellectually disadvantaged and biased position due to your beliefs of "white nationalism" I'm still very interested in how the "liberals" and "multicultists" when usher in a society represented in the film.

Please slowly and in detail explain?

It just may be an interesting topic.
Where in your little messed up world did you come up with the assumption I am a "white nationalist" as you put it? We have been over this before I am done banging my head against a wall trying to get things through to you. You are lost.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:07 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It appears we have a difference of opinion. I remember the USA of the 1950's and I much prefer the USA of this decade. Back then I had to remember who to like, who to shun and who to hate. It was very complicated.

Now is easier because I don’t have to hate anyone because somebody tells me so. I make my own decisions about who to hate. I don’t hate anyone but I do despise a few. I think the culture of the USA has changed for the better.
I don't like that time period. I was born in the 1980's and for that, I didn't have to endure the same things people of my ethnicity had to deal with. For me, the 1950's is a step backwards. If I was alive at my age(23) in the 1950's, I would be very unhappy. Being the way I am and the things that I do, I would have had a hard life as an African-American. Please explain how the 1950's were better for African-Americans? It is because of history that I shake my head at such statements such as the ones you made. I think "How would that time period have been good for me?"

Old 02-11-2010, 02:19 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
What is so wrong about equality? Please answer that. What is so wrong with it? Equality is suppose to mean EVERYONE, meaning others don't get left out, which sadly, as American history has shown, people have always been left out.
Because, no matter how much you'd like to believe it, it's a lie ... and nothing good can ever come from believing lies.

We are not all equal. To suggest otherwise it total foolishness. Some people are more physically gifted than others ... some are smarter than others .. some have special talents.

Not everyone can be the QB of high school football team, nor can all women be Miss Universe. Somebody has to pick up the garbage, and someone else has to perform the open heart surgery ... If you needed such surgery, would you want the trash man performing it on you?

There are flowers to admire, and plants to eat, and some cure disease but are not sweet to eat!

What part of this basic truth of life is escaping you?

There are very wise thinkers in this world, as well as some pretty thoughtless, irresponsible ones ... look how badly things have gotten by having the latter serve as our representatives of government?

There are honest, selfless folks, and greedy selfish ones ... look how bad things have gotten by having the latter run our banks and financial institutions?

When you convert to "political correctness" you do have what can be termed as reaching for the lowest common denominator. Does a baseball team make the best thrower it's pitcher? Or should we be kind ... and let the clumsy kid take that spot?

THINK ... don't just float in the clouds ... THINK. Contemplate the consequences of EVERYONE being the same.

Care to watch the same movie for the rest of your life? Or would you become bored?

THINK

Old 02-11-2010, 02:22 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Because, no matter how much you'd like to believe it, it's a lie ... and nothing good can ever come from believing lies.

We are not all equal. To suggest otherwise it total foolishness. Some people are more physically gifted than others ... some are smarter than others .. some have special talents.

Not everyone can be the QB of high school football team, nor can all women be Miss Universe. Somebody has to pick up the garbage, and someone else has to perform the open heart surgery ... If you needed such surgery, would you want the trash man performing it on you?

There are flowers to admire, and plants to eat, and some cure disease but are not sweet to eat!

What part of this basic truth of life is escaping you?

There are very wise thinkers in this world, as well as some pretty thoughtless, irresponsible ones ... look how badly things have gotten by having the latter serve as our representatives of government?

There are honest, selfless folks, and greedy selfish ones ... look how bad things have gotten by having the latter run our banks and financial institutions?

When you convert to "political correctness" you do have what can be termed as reaching for the lowest common denominator. Does a baseball team make the best thrower it's pitcher? Or should we be kind ... and let the clumsy kid take that spot?

THINK ... don't just float in the clouds ... THINK. Contemplate the consequences of EVERYONE being the same.

Care to watch the same movie for the rest of your life? Or would you become bored?

THINK
I don't think II explained myself good enough, so here it is. What is the matter with treating everyone equal? When I hear about people dismissing equality, I am going to think "race issue" because for the most part, that is something I have to think about. When I think about equality, I think about euquality under the law, equality of access, equality of opportunity. That is what I am thinking of.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:27 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Vonnegut's tale is an EXCELLENT warning of the consequences of what happens when a dystopian society forces artificial egalitarianism. Everyone is forced down to the lowest common denominator. Then, hey... everyone's equal.

Harrison Bergeron
Doesn't the dad in 'The Impossibles' say something about that very thing - something about giving every kid a trophy just for showing up. Seems to me, we're already there

Old 02-11-2010, 03:07 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
Sounds about right. I don't see how everyone will be equal though, seeing as how Hispanics are crawling up into majority race status. Hell, they'll probably be 70-75% by 2081.
I don't think 'equal' is the right term...

equal, doesn't even make sense...not at all, when used alone...

I think the idea is that every one has 'equal value' on a humanitarian perspective.
From like Gods view.

What makes us different is 'culture'...and within culture you will find different 'values' or 'taboos' or 'principles' or 'styles' ect ect.

Cultures are different, but the person behind the culture is of equal value, as far as basic life goes.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:30 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Harrison Bergeron
Thank you for the link. Awesome story. Favorite line:
Quote:
"There you are," said George. The minute people start cheating on laws, what do you think happens to society?"
If Hazel hadn't been able to come up with an answer to this question, George couldn't have supplied one. A siren was going off in his head.
"Reckon it'd fall all apart," said Hazel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies