Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:45 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland City View Post
More racist BS from a white man pretending he knows about black relations. What a load of crap.
Wait. So you are saying the the black community doesn't have a big problem with absentee fathers? Maybe you need to tell Obama that he doesn't need to concern himself with that issue. Of course this article was dated 2008, so maybe the problem is solved now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/16/us...cnd-obama.html

Quote:
Obama Sharply Assails Absent Black Fathers

CHICAGO — Addressing a packed congregation at one of the city’s largest black churches, Senator Barack Obama on Sunday invoked his own absent father to deliver a sharp message to African-American men, saying, “We need fathers to realize that responsibility does not end at conception.”

“Too many fathers are M.I.A, too many fathers are AWOL, missing from too many lives and too many homes,” Mr. Obama said, to a chorus of approving murmurs from the audience. “They have abandoned their responsibilities, acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our families are weaker because of it.”

The speech was striking for its setting, and in how Mr. Obama, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, directly addressed one of the most sensitive topics in the African-American community: whether absent fathers bore responsibility for some of the intractable problems afflicting black Americans. Mr. Obama noted that “more than half of all black children live in single-parent households,” a number that he said had doubled since his own childhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 12:46 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
There are many reasons why a Black woman may have more abortions, 1 being poverty and the inability to take care of the kid. To insinuate the stereotype of the fatherless black child as the main reason is racist trash.
Perhaps. But there is some historical validity to this claim. When slavery was abolished many black woman became the defacto head of the household and could often find domestic employment easier than black men. Sometimes the men had to go elsewhere to look for work, and sometimes they didn't come back. It's not a "racist" statement, and it can apply to other races as well at various times and in various places. But for blacks, in large numbers, it's how things played out.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:46 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,444 times
Quote:
There are many reasons why a Black woman may have more abortions, 1 being poverty and the inability to take care of the kid. To insinuate the stereotype of the fatherless black child as the main reason is racist trash.
I'm sure the poverty and inability to care for the child are not entirely relegated to the black community, just as I'm sure the fatherless white child is a common trait as well; however, that being said, why then is it pointed out in everyday conversation that the black man will forsake a black woman far quicker than a white man with a white woman, or any other race as well? I know some white women who raise their own kids, and who have had abortions for a variety of reasons, and it's all sad, but I hardly think the notion(s) is racist.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:48 PM

328 posts, read 306,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Wait. So you are saying the the black community doesn't have a big problem with absentee fathers? Maybe you need to tell Obama that he doesn't need to concern himself with that issue. Of course this article was dated 2008, so maybe the problem is solved now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/16/us...cnd-obama.html
I have seen your posts and it's confirmed you're a racist so I'm not even going to waste my time explaining it to you.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Perhaps. But there is some historical validity to this claim. When slavery was abolished many black woman became the defacto head of the household and could often find domestic employment easier than black men. Sometimes the men had to go elsewhere to look for work, and sometimes they didn't come back. It's not a "racist" statement, and it can apply to other races as well at various times and in various places. But for blacks, in large numbers, it's how things played out.
What does any of that have to do with Abortion?

Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
I'm sure the poverty and inability to care for the child are not entirely relegated to the black community, just as I'm sure the fatherless white child is a common trait as well; however, that being said, why then is it pointed out in everyday conversation that the black man will forsake a black woman far quicker than a white man with a white woman, or any other race as well? I know some white women who raise their own kids, and who have had abortions for a variety of reasons, and it's all sad, but I hardly think the notion(s) is racist.
Considering most black women who have abortions are lower income yes. You are generalizing on the actions of Black men like you know each black person and their intentions.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:56 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,444 times
Quote:
Considering most black women who have abortions are lower income yes. You are generalizing on the actions of Black men like you know each black person and their intentions.
Never said I know each black person and their "intentions." Why don't you educate me. How do YOU know that most black women are "lower income?"

Old 02-11-2010, 12:58 PM
miu

Quote:
I have seen your posts and it's confirmed you're a racist so I'm not even going to waste my time explaining it to you.
So you are going to ignore President Obama talking to a black community church about the problem of their absentee fathers? I didn't make up that article. The New York Times isn't on the level of Fox News or the National Inquirer.

And what about the high numbers of single black women of all ages? And they aren't single by choice. So doesn't that suggest that black men aren't interested in marriage?

And when it appears that black men aren't interested in getting married and raising a family, it does make them less desirable as even dates to women of ALL races. A good number of women aren't interested in ever dating player and bad boy types. Just some food for thought.

As to my being a racist. I don't find dark skin sexually attractive. And BTW I know that not every man is attracted sexually to Asian women, but that doesn't bother men.

And my conservative upbringing makes me not interested in associating with anyone from an urban city culture that is also not interested in having a higher education. In addition, the majority of blacks are church-going christians (or muslims or even jewish), and I have no interest in dating or marrying anyone religious of any race or culture.

So find me some college educated black atheists raised in a middle class suburb, and we can be good real and close friends. And I am just as picky making good real friends with people of other races and nationalities. A close friend is someone I trust and who has similiar moral values to me. Otherwise, I am less picky about who I consider a casual friend or associate.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:59 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say it's the MAIN reason however I would say it's one of the top reasons. It's really not racist trash, it isn't even the rule but it is a fairly prevalent among the black community. To deny that is ignorant.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:11 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Abortion billboards in Georgia are causing a stir!! Exposing the whole purpose of Planned Parenthood.

Atlanta Billboards Proclaim 'Black Children Are An Endangered Species' - ParentDish
How interesting. And odd since I feel that of all the pro-life picketers I've ever seen in person and in the media have been WHITE people. I really don't think that I've ever seen any black person picketing a Planned Parenthood or other abortion clinic.

Well I guess that you better rally up your black friends and start picketing Planned Parenthood ASAP, before the black race becomes extinct!!! Or just keep mixing with other races and using that one drop rule to keep your numbers high... Basically, I can't even believe that the O.P. or anyone is actually worried that the black race is going to go extinct. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies