Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I mentioned the consistent regulatory failures on the part of the SEC, the OTS, and the FDIC.

These were the biggest issues that caused the crisis, in my opinion. If I had to single out the 1 biggest problem in my mind it would be the OTS.

What are your opinions on the regulatory changes at OTS, the SEC, and the FDIC from 2000 to 2008?
Do you want to list the regulation failures and the changes made by Bush? And while you are at it, tell me how they affected the world economy, because indeed its a world recessin, not just an american one..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
I mentioned the consistent regulatory failures on the part of the SEC, the OTS, and the FDIC.

What are your opinions on the regulatory changes at the OTS, the SEC, and the FDIC from 2000 to 2008?
Regulators are useless bureaucracies. After all the economy went through with Enron, Tyco et al. they still could not see a slew of Ponzi schemes in the making.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Do you want to list the regulation failures and the changes made by Bush?
No, I want you to demonstrate that you are aware of Bush's financial regulatory policies. I don't think you even know what the OTS is.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Regulators are useless bureaucracies. After all the economy went through with Enron, Tyco et al. they still could not see a slew of Ponzi schemes in the making.

^ This is the aforementioed "GOP-Reagan-Bush philosophy" in a nutshell. Regulators are useless, let's get rid of them and see what happens.

It is a fine ideology, but ideologies need to be put into the context of REALITY. Today's reality is that the banks control the US economy.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Do you want to list the regulation failures and the changes made by Bush?
Quote:
No, I want you to demonstrate that you are aware of Bush's financial regulatory policies. I don't think you even know what the OTS is.
I'm very well aware of the OTS, but is this you admitting you dont have a clue what you are talking about? YOU made the accusation that Bush deregulated.. and when I asked you what he deregulated, you listed all kinds of stuff deregulated by Clinton.. Now you want to change the topic to the OTS.. We arent discussing the OTS, we are discussing the deregulation by Bush and how his deregulations caused a world wide economic collapse..

Old 02-11-2010, 09:31 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
^ This is the aforementioed "GOP-Reagan-Bush philosophy" in a nutshell. Regulators are useless, let's get rid of them and see what happens.

It is a fine ideology, but ideologies need to be put into the context of REALITY. Today's reality is that the banks control the US economy.
What needs to be eliminated is "too big to fail".

And its not that regulators need to be eradicated it is they need a overhaul. they are completely redundant and inefficient. I see it everyday in my line of work.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I'm very well aware of the OTS, but is this you admitting you dont have a clue what you are talking about? YOU made the accusation that Bush deregulated.. and when I asked you what he deregulated, you listed all kinds of stuff deregulated by Clinton.. Now you want to change the topic to the OTS.. We arent discussing the OTS, we are discussing the deregulation by Bush and how his deregulations caused a world wide economic collapse..

It is most certainly on-topic. The OTS, the SEC, and the FDIC are cabinet-level entities, they recieve direction from the U.S. President, and they are regulators who failed to regulate from 2000 to 2008.

So I repeat, what is your opinion of the OTS's regulatory policies from 2000 to 2008?

Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
What needs to be eliminated is "too big to fail".

And its not that regulators need to be eradicated it is they need a overhaul. they are completely redundant and inefficient. I see it everyday in my line of work.
As an individual going through the process to create a hedge fund, I can tell you first hand that someone in my limited "cash" situation, should not be authorized to make such a step. All it takes is money to file the legal fees and whalaa.. here it is..!

The bank creation that I'm involved in, is taking 3-4 years to go through the process, but somehow I can create a hedge fund in 60 days.. go figure..

Old 02-11-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
It is most certainly on-topic. The OTS, the SEC, and the FDIC are cabinet-level entities, they recieve direction from the U.S. President, and they are regulators who failed to regulate from 2000 to 2008.
No, do I have to go back and quote YOU saying that Bush deregulated? failing to regulate, and deregulation is not the same thing at all...
Quote:
So I repeat, what is your opinion of the OTS's regulatory policies from 2000 to 2008?
Considering they've had thousands of policies, I'm not spending time to discuss them all. Are there particular ones you want to discuss in an effort to deflect away from your wrong posting claiming Bush "deregulated"...?

Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Considering they've had thousands of policies, I'm not spending time to discuss them all. Are there particular ones you want to discuss in an effort to deflect away from your wrong posting claiming Bush "deregulated"...?
You could start with their collective policies on

A) stemming regulatory arbitrage
B) regulation of the creation and sale of derivatives such as CDS's, and ensuring adequate capital ratios
C) regulation of the creation and sale of MBS's
D) regulation of bond rating agencies and "payola"
E) regulation of the inherent systemic risk of FDIC-backed commercial banks acting as hedge funds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies