Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 05:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

And I can see no good teachers wanting to go to a poor performing school to teach or a school in a poor area. If they are going to base teacher performance on test grades then it just seems logical that teachers are going to go for the better performing schools to teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 05:52 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Although I have not experienced this firsthand in my children's school (which happens to be the same school system I went to), I would presume liberal propaganda to include revisionist history.
What kids study in history classes changes all the time. Look at some of the text books from 100, 50 and 25 years ago and you'll see lots of things have been removed and added. It also takes many years for historians to know exactly how important any particular event turns out to be to society. For example, the Tea Parties of last summer could be an obscure, tiny footnote in history 50 years from now or celebrated as the beginning of a viable 3rd party. "Revisionist history" is just the normal course of time providing clarity.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:04 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And I can see no good teachers wanting to go to a poor performing school to teach or a school in a poor area. If they are going to base teacher performance on test grades then it just seems logical that teachers are going to go for the better performing schools to teach.
I don't have any factual data to back this up, but I heard that the government gives stipends/grants to students in teaching programs that require the student to then teach for X number of years in disadvantaged/underserved areas upon graduation.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
What kids study in history classes changes all the time. Look at some of the text books from 100, 50 and 25 years ago and you'll see lots of things have been removed and added. It also takes many years for historians to know exactly how important any particular event turns out to be to society. For example, the Tea Parties of last summer could be an obscure, tiny footnote in history 50 years from now or celebrated as the beginning of a viable 3rd party. "Revisionist history" is just the normal course of time providing clarity.
I know that, and that is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about teachers who assert their personal agenda into how they present historical events. History can be taught with a definite agenda, be it political or otherwise.

I could make up examples if you like, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:50 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I know that, and that is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about teachers who assert their personal agenda into how they present historical events. History can be taught with a definite agenda, be it political or otherwise.

I could make up examples if you like, but I'm sure you can figure it out.
I do know what you mean. I remember reading on this forum about a teacher who was teaching students that the Holocaust never happened. I doubt she/he was a liberal, though. Both liberals and conservatives are capable of putting a personal spin on history.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I do know what you mean. I remember reading on this forum about a teacher who was teaching students that the Holocaust never happened. I doubt she/he was a liberal, though. Both liberals and conservatives are capable of putting a personal spin on history.
I agree. Like I said, I have not ever personally experienced this until college, but that's kind of expected in college. My US History teacher was this funny lesbian who constantly ripped on anything conservative. She would wear a pin every day that said "Closets are for Clothes" and would say "Military Intelligence is a contradiction in terms". She definitely had an agenda in the history she was teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies