Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 03:13 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,526 times

Advertisements

What you are talking about is very load noise in the sub-addible Hz. Range. Going through your bones. I drove buses before 9/11 not long after. And I've flow small airplanes. What I liked about driving buses was seeing the would at my “office desk”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Ly-GT9cE4&feature=related

I went through 9/11 for manorial day back in 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 04:57 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Yet another example of blatant lies and false insinuations.

The head of the EPA clearly said that the concentrations of toxic elements in the air at ground zero posed no health hazards to the workers. This was a bold faced lie.

And I strongly condemn any knuckle head who wants to insinuate that these brave Americans working to rescue their fellow Americans and clean up the disaster are somehow at fault for becoming sick because they didn't have a "half a brain".

What a disgusting, shameful position to take. You ought to be ASHAMED, but you aren't, and that says all that needs saying about you..

do you really not understand, or is it you dont want to understand....I am a new yorker....I worked in the city (midtown)...and as a reservist, I DID WORK THE CLEANUP AFTERWARDS, and most workers were ISSUED masks

wheather whitman(epa) or santa clause stated the 'air was safe' means NOTHING...common sense told most of us to wear a mask

if its DUSTY as heck,,,are you going to wear a mask...even if 'someone' says its safe?????

Old 02-28-2010, 05:57 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I can't speak for people "like me" - I can only speak for myself.

I don't care. In fact, I encourage it - it's pretty good entertainment, and it's free. If people want to spin their wheels and progressively lead themselves down a path that inevitably leads to insanity, that's fine with me. Live and let live, I say.
Thanks for an HONEST answer.

Moprh01

Old 02-28-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the 'government' said it was safe from and type of nuclear, biological, or chemical compound......they never said it was a great clear day to be breathing in that garbage

ANYONE with a HALF a brain, knows if you can see it, you are breathing in that garbage,,,,,,anyone with 3/4 a brain knows if you can SMELL it you are breathing it.....anyone with any type of brain knows that drywall dust, concrete dust, and smoke are toxic

we were ISSUED masks when we went in....many CHOSE not to wear them
That's not enough, the people of NY should have been told to stay indoors, or evacuate the state, until some form of safety plan came up. Gezz, people just saw the most traumatic event of their LIVES, so at that moment, they are not thinking about AIR QUALITY!!!!!

As far as masks, for this particular day, you needed a highly specialized, expensive type of mask to be 99% safe breathing the air on that particular day.

Yes, mask were handed out to rescue workers, but it was not the kind of mask that was required for this particular day. Also, according to the workers themselves, it was NOT mandatory for them to wear them; hence most of the guys took them off and now quite a few of these guys have died (and will continue), in their 40's!!!.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Could ask the same question--I don't believe there was a controlled demolition, not because of what the government said, but because of what others I personally know and have known for decades said and who were actually hands-on at the site and participated in the analysis. The flaw in the "you just believe what the government said" argument is that the government were not the only people involved in the investigation. I know, I know, the standard answer to that is that they are keeping quiet because they are afraid of losing their jobs or something. I know how ridiculous a statement that is, so let that one lie.

The fact remains that NON-GOVERNMENTAL engineers, scores of them, who knew the structure of the WTC inside and out when it stood, were in or at the WTC themselves on 9/11/01, worked on the site afterward, and or worked with NIST on the investigation did not see any evidence of explosives in the collapse and can explain the structural failure in a way that a layperson can understand. Further, if you were inside one of those towers at the plane impact as I was, you don't need to be any kind of expert to know the structural damage was significant or to know that there was fire everywhere. Now, if you were in my place, would you believe the technical experts that you know personally as well as your own experience, or someone's interpretation of YouTube videos?

As for the air business--there's no "we now know". The EPA's statement that the air was safe to breathe was incredible, but not a big surprise to those of us who had to endure Christie Whitman as our governor prior to her stint at the EPA. If you had any idea what NYC smelled like, even from across the Hudson, you would know that it is not likely that anyone made their decision to work there or not based on what the EPA said, but the EPA certainly opened the door wide for lawsuits by that inane statement.

If you have been following any of the news about those lawsuits, Whitman is standing by her statement but modifying it to say they didn't REALLY mean the air at Ground Zero itself, but the "ambient air" in the neighborhood. Or something. Bear in mind also that the EPA were not the only ones monitoring the air at Ground Zero, and I expect that conflicting results will be brought forth at future trials.

The lawyers are going to profit handsomely from this, anyway.

There is no one all-encompassing entity known as "the government" that agrees with itself and marches in lockstep, and nothing is as simple as people would like it to be.
I'm not here to argue, so at the moment, I can see your point of view, and agree with some of it.

Thanks for the reply

Old 02-28-2010, 06:41 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
That's not enough, the people of NY should have been told to stay indoors, or evacuate the state, until some form of safety plan came up. Gezz, people just saw the most traumatic event of their LIVES, so at that moment, they are not thinking about AIR QUALITY!!!!!

As far as masks, for this particular day, you needed a highly specialized, expensive type of mask to be 99% safe breathing the air on that particular day.

Yes, mask were handed out to rescue workers, but it was not the kind of mask that was required for this particular day. Also, according to the workers themselves, it was NOT mandatory for them to wear them; hence most of the guys took them off and now quite a few of these guys have died (and will continue), in their 40's!!!.
Unrealistic. The dust came indoors anyway, even with A/C units blasting 24 hours. The city was on lockdown and by midnight you couldn't get in, and was difficult, if not impossible, to get out. And just where would you put 8 million people? Think that Jersey City has that many hotel rooms?

We wore the best masks that we could find. Do you think NYC hardware stores and emergency services had 8 million respiratory masks just laying around?

Old 02-28-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
The dust came indoors anyway, even with A/C units blasting 24 hours.
Yep, and they made you all go right back to work telling you, "it's just a little bit of dust, no biggie!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Think that Jersey City has that many hotel rooms?
A tent city in a location with better air would have been a good start, especially in the month of September. Regardless, I'm not arguing with you, it's just, when your life is on the line, there is no such thing as "Unrealistic". You just do it.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:18 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
do you really not understand, or is it you dont want to understand....I am a new yorker....I worked in the city (midtown)...and as a reservist, I DID WORK THE CLEANUP AFTERWARDS, and most workers were ISSUED masks

wheather whitman(epa) or santa clause stated the 'air was safe' means NOTHING...common sense told most of us to wear a mask

if its DUSTY as heck,,,are you going to wear a mask...even if 'someone' says its safe?????
Remember the people in the Wall Street area wearing masks with their suits as they walked past the site to work?

Are you in the WTC Health Registry? They just (inexplicably) sent me a Happy New Year card that arrived yesterday, lol.

I've participated in a couple of studies.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-28-2010 at 07:36 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 07:28 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I'm not here to argue, so at the moment, I can see your point of view, and agree with some of it.

Thanks for the reply
I'm not arguing either, just providing information.

It's not going to be easy, either, making a legal case against the EPA with the details. For example, take asbestos, one of the many toxic substances in the air in lower Manhattan during the nine months of the cleanup.

Just what is the acceptable level of asbestos in the air? Well, there isn't any answer, one way or the other. Acceptable/Unacceptable levels of asbestos only apply to containment areas or other indoor spaces during ACM removal. It's not supposed to be flying around outside in the first place, and no standards were ever set for asbestos levels in the air outdoors because such a situation was just not anticipated.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:30 PM

4 posts, read 3,109 times
idiots. It was an invasion from mars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies