Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:35 AM

105 posts, read 234,853 times

Advertisements

I recently watched a documentary about people who are over weight. In the documentary there was a study conducted. A group was shown pictures of fat men and women, they were told to write down adjectives to describe the picture..
Fat Men were considered Cuddly, Stocky, Strong,
Fat Women, Sloppy, Lazy, Smelly
There seems to be a hidden double standard about what people think of fat men and women? What do you think about these responses? Do you have the same thoughts as well?
I've always been thin all my life, but when I saw fat people I didn't automatically think heavy due to laziness, because I always believed it has a lot to do with heredity. I ate a lot more than most of my larger counterparts and could barely gain a pound, but my immediate family were not big people. But if I were naturally a heavy person I can't help but wonder if I'd be 300lbs....??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 07:42 AM

769 posts, read 887,801 times
Depends on what you mean by 'fat'. I doubt when shown a picture of a man 60% overweight that anyone said 'cuddly' or 'stocky'. The body has various different natural sizes, true. Our sizes however are also based on evolutionary traits, therefore 'morbidly obese' is not a genetic issue. It is a one two punch of overeating and lack of proper exercise. Beyond healthcare, I really don't have a problem with it, sounds like the life to me.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:44 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
It's called self control and self respect. Heredity, yeah right.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:54 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,403,257 times
The first thing I think about is a lack of discipline. I know that weight control is easier for some people than others, but the formula is a simple one. Calorie intake and carlories burned.

Some people wonder why they are so heavy as they sit down and eat a whole bag of potato chips. As for exercise, some people walk a couple blocks and call it exercise, while others run 5 miles for their exercise.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:01 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Oh goodie, another sanctimonious beat-up-on-fat-people thread.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:01 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
The first thing I think about is a lack of discipline. I know that weight control is easier for some people than others, but the formula is a simple one. Calorie intake and carlories burned.

Some people wonder why they are so heavy as they sit down and eat a whole bag of potato chips. As for exercise, some people walk a couple blocks and call it exercise, while others run 5 miles for their exercise.
agree.

speaking of fat,

BBC News - Director Kevin Smith told he was 'too big' to fly

(Southwest Airlines replies: Not So Silent Bob)

Old 02-15-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
Depends on what you mean by 'fat'. I doubt when shown a picture of a man 60% overweight that anyone said 'cuddly' or 'stocky'. The body has various different natural sizes, true. Our sizes however are also based on evolutionary traits, therefore 'morbidly obese' is not a genetic issue. It is a one two punch of overeating and lack of proper exercise. Beyond healthcare, I really don't have a problem with it, sounds like the life to me.
The show I was watching is called Taboo- look it up .. Taboo "Fat" is the episode, the doctor was discussing how the students were given pictures of men and women who were equally huge.. and that's the responses they received.. I do believe people think that fat men are ok.. because most equate heaviness with strength.. a lot of men let themselves go and that does not stop women from dating them... trust me.. but heavy women (unless a heavy woman of color) have a harder time dating..

Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
It's called self control and self respect. Heredity, yeah right.
Well I understand your point.. I don't know, I never struggled with my weight,, but I ate like crazy.. I loooovedd junk food from 15-24 .. I ate every possible fatty food I could get my hands on... Now that I'm 26, I slowed down because it's not as exciting to eat junk hood, now I'm on health kick becuase it can slow your energy down as you get older.. But through all of this my point is I never got fat.. I am now 130lbs 5'5 ..I never excercised, dieted, not once! So what do you call that.. ? you don't call that lazy.. You wouldn't call me lazy in the street but if I were just naturally big you would????

Old 02-15-2010, 08:21 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,317,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Lots of busy bodies out there worrying about what their neighbor is doing, all while living in denial of their own unhealthy lifestyle choices (smoking, drinking, drug use, unprotected sex,bestiality etc.).

Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
The OP is feining piety? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies