Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This thread isn't about attacking a man who slept around, and obviously had some character issues.
First, I don't care about either Tiger's cheating or his apology. But having said that, on the other hand when you hold yourself up to be a paragon of virtue in order to bring in more money than you earn in your actual occupation (see product endorsements) then I think folks have a natural right to be a bit peeved. But then again, I don't buy products based upon celebrity endorsements so I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 06:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
First, I don't care about either Tiger's cheating or his apology. But having said that, on the other hand when you hold yourself up to be a paragon of virtue in order to bring in more money than you earn in your actual occupation (see product endorsements) then I think folks have a natural right to be a bit peeved. But then again, I don't buy products based upon celebrity endorsements so I don't care.
Show me one example, where Tiger held himself up as the paragon of virtue.

There isn't one.

He isn't a priest, he isn't a politician who campaigns against homosexuals (and them proves to be gay himself) or anything in the like.

The only thing I've seen Tiger hold himself up as, is a really good golfer.

Unless someone can prove he is cheating at that, we should leave his personal life alone.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:38 PM

257 posts, read 407,912 times
No one should care about his personal life; it's no one's business.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:47 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,181,722 times
I agree it's no one's business.
But in our society- athletes are watched and emulated and almost worshipped. If they are going to get the benefit of all that attention, they will also have to pay the price if they "mess up".
It's a lousy system, but that's what we've brought on ourselves.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:55 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
To me, this whole media following him is stupid.
Not half as stupid as the people who worship the slimeball. And if there weren't so many people interested in this, believe me, the media wouldn't follow him.
Quote:
There are bigger issues facing our country, than Tiger Woods affairs or apologies.
And.......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
No, we shouldn't care at all. Plenty of athletes have made bad decisions, often times worse than Tiger. Two Wizards players pull guns on each other, Donte Stallworth drives drunk and kills someone, but Tiger is the real villian for cheating on his wife.
So since other athletes have done worse, Woods screwing around on his wife and wrecking his marriage/family is no big deal. Is that your line of reasoning?

Quote:
He's an athlete, not a politician. His personal life is none of our business.
I don't get this either. So you're saying politicians have to adhere to some moral code which atheletes don't? ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I put Tiger Woods in the same category as Michael Vick.
Both, have athletic talent. Both have major character flaws.
Both Tiger and Michael are mostly sorry that they got caught.
Hey somebody gets it. Anyone who thinks either of these dirtbags are sorry about anything other than getting caught is - at best - naive and/or deluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I think I've actually gained respect for his as a role model. Yeah, he messed up, and BAD. But I think that he seems sincere about righting the situation,
You're kidding. You saw his very public and blatantly PR scripted "apology" as sincere??

Quote:
and I give him cudos for standing up and taking responsibility, and apologizing. If (yes "IF") he turns his life around, it will be a great story for the kids.
Yeah what a great role model! "If you're rich and famous you can screw around on your spouse any way you want. Just don't be stupid and get caught like me."

What a guy!!

Excuse me while I vomit.

As for him "owning it," let's pretend like he had a choice....no wait, let's not. He was caught, he called in his lawyers and PR entourage, and they concocted this "I'm sooo sorry" bit.

What a pathetic and repulsive joke he and this entire thing is. The only thing that bothers me more are all the apologists burying their head in the sand or trying to excuse/rationalize it all away, just like an insane # of people did with Vick. (well at least they didn't use the "not his fault he's a product of his environment" BS with Woods)

Old 02-19-2010, 07:05 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
it was a lame cold speach in my opinion.. he's just trying to save his career nothing more, and he was like 2 months late doing it!!! he knew what he was doing when he was plugging all those holes. he figured he could get away with it because he is tiger woods.. i always though he had a phony smile..

and for one i hate the fact that if i buy a product from a company that uses him for a sponcer i have to pay more green for that product.. on general purpose i will boycott any product associated with the tiger woods name,and that goes for all products associated with celebs..

Old 02-19-2010, 07:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Woods has already done the damage to his image that he is goign to do. So I could really care st this point. Jsut naother person that wasn't what he protrayed;now shocking.Realistically he did the damage to himelf.family and to golf ;so why apologise to the public.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:40 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,823 times
It'll blow over once he gets back on the tour. The PGA sucks without him now. It's like taking all the black guys out of the NBA, it's boring as ****.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:09 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
It'll blow over once he gets back on the tour. The PGA sucks without him now. It's like taking all the black guys out of the NBA, it's boring as ****.
dang it would still be boring with a hundred tigers in the PGA

Old 02-19-2010, 08:17 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,832,259 times
Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies