Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the problem is obama and all who have been in this debate, fail to see the problem....the problem is not INSURANCE, or lack of INSURANCE.....the problem is the COST of CARE

will any of this legislation change the price of an MRI machine??? a x ray machine??? an xray it self??? a doctors visit??? the cost of an ambulance ride????

NO
Probably not and costs will still continue to rise. People also do not factor in the cost of construction and space rent for hospitals. Those things will always go up as do salaries and looks like the cost of educating these medical people will do the same. Certain costs have to be recouped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Going through some of the language, the one thing I could not find was the sticking point for me and that is you would face jail if you could not afford the higher cost of insurance. Our premiums I fear will jump up to the point where we just can't in this economy afford it. We are close to that right now, but at least I am not wearing an orange jumpsuit.

Some of the republican proposals that were added are a plus, however cost for this bill is still staggering. We will see what comes of this.
You can't have a law requiring you to do something, without a penalty for non-compliance. Every law is that way. You can also go to jail for a routine traffic violation, yet that rarely happens.

If 30 million more people start paying into the system, your rates are more likely to go down than up. Because we are still paying for those 30 million people's health care. If this bill becomes law, the costs will be spread around more, reducing the burden on those already paying.

I keep hearing complaints about the costs, yet the cost of doing nothing is so much higher. The CBO estimates that this bill will save billions, not cost billions.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:25 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
I could not find the info to tell if this is true about the CBO on the plan that Obama came out with today were did you get that info. Are you the same florida bob from ffr.
This Proposal is very similar to the Senate bill which has been evaluated by the CBO. Very little difference in the financing that I could see. I don't know what ffr is, so I guess I am not the same person.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
It needs to address tort reform but the trail lawyers have to much control and I thnik like the senate bill it relys on savings that will not come true like other bills to pass CBO .I don't agree he has been involved because this is his first proposal the others were senate and house bills like the stimulus was. Even the administration has admit that in saying that issues were not address in the stimulus which is a understatement at the least.The mandates to states are still there which will really mean passing on so much cost directly to the states who will raise taxes and fees.Medicaid is already in financing trouble and this will make it worse but pass much of the cost on to states.Bascailly it a bill that we especailly now can not afford with the deficit payments coming IMO.Bascailly it willmean higher taxes for veryone that how pays taxes and another entitlement for those that don't.It alos does not addresss the free ride for union based plans while targeting other plans that indivdual pays for. Mucn of the specail interest provisons for democratic specail interests are still there.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 AM

59,067 posts, read 27,318,346 times
I still don't understand at the beginning of debate, Obama said by stopping waste, fraud and abuse of the existing system, he could reduce costs. Why hasn't he done any of that already.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:03 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I still don't understand at the beginning of debate, Obama said by stopping waste, fraud and abuse of the existing system, he could reduce costs. Why hasn't he done any of that already.
Obama Admin has been working on that in the Medicare system. He will continue. But, there is much of the same in the private side and he feels their should be action on that as well, but needs legislation to authorize such action.

Eliminating Waste and Fraud in Medicare and Medicaid

Old 02-22-2010, 12:10 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
This Proposal is very similar to the Senate bill which has been evaluated by the CBO. Very little difference in the financing that I could see. I don't know what ffr is, so I guess I am not the same person.
So your statement that the CBO evaluated most of it is misleading if not outright false or a lie because it is not the same bill and one part will affect the other

Old 02-22-2010, 12:17 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Expecting government to resolve the "problem" with health care cost, is like asking a wolf to resolve the "sheep problem".

(.... so many sheep, so little TIME!)

Old 02-22-2010, 01:02 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
I guess they had better build more prisons.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:20 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The CBO has already evaluated most of it. Very similar to Senate plan in that the financing has not changed significantly. The CBO estimated the Senate bill to result in 100 billion deficit reduction over 10 years. Of course there is always contention about CBO numbers. People tend to believe them when they support their own bias and discount them when they don't.
Bob, I haven't read any of this one yet, but can you tell me if the plan to finance the Medicaid expansion is still to be financed by Medicare? It is that part that I just can't accept. My Medicare payment, deducted from my SS check so I have no choice, is larger than it once was but they are taking money from Medicare to the tune of $50 billion per year. Is it still there along with the union crap. I really don't like the union parts but then I don't owe them my office from election, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies