Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 05:00 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Isn't it a pity that America doesn't put as much effort into solving problems at home as it does solving overseas problems. I have spoken to many of my American neighbours who are incensed by the billions now being payed by the USA to build a New health system for all in Iraq yet the American right scream if money is going to be used to build a new health system for all in the USA.
Europe and the USA both have problems but this tired old...."Only when the individual is allowed to prosper through individual freedoms can an entire country prosper and become innovative and a leader"..... no longer fools the public. This only works if the benefit of success filters down.
Individuals are as encouraged in Europe to prosper as in the USA with one big difference.............. Success in Europe is NOT at the expense of less fortunate Citizens. Ask Sir Richard Branson or Sir Alan Sugar or any of the top earners in the UK and they will tell you that success is created by innovation and a genuine concern for the "workers" interests. You get far more with Honey than vinegar. Unfortunately greed in the USA is now keeping America rooted to the spot and it is to the detrement of many great hard working Americans. The attitude of " i am going to make it to the top, no matter who i trample over to get their" is becoming the battle cry of too many in the USA and it is destroying the greatest country in the World..... America.
Wake up!
OK, that's two. I suggest you not even try to compare the innovators from the US with the ones from the UK. A short list would include automobiles, airplanes, computers, (hardly anyone has heard of Sugar's Amstrad computers), arguably the most significant innovations in history. Of course, there are those who will succeed and prosper under nearly any circumstances, but my argument is that the American system has been the most conducive to innovation and individual achievement. But, to paint all achievers with the "I'm going to make mine, not matter who I must trample over" brush is unfair and inaccurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 05:02 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
I'm glad you can toot your own horn, with all your homes and tax payments.

Me?,,,I was born with absolutely NOTHING, and have managed to keep most of it. What little I have came at the behest of hard work, entrepreneurship, a lot of hard work, and some luck.

Of course, you and I are probably from different generations. My generation were foolish enough to believe that if you applied yourself, worked hard, and made good decisions in both your business and personal lives, then you might be successful. I've been busted financially more than once, and each time I learned from the mistakes I made,....WITHOUT turning to the government for a handout, or a hand-up. It's called being responsible for your own actions, setting priorities, living within ones means, and working your ass off.

America is a great country. You ridicule this country, belittle it, and scoff at the opportunities it offers. You praise Obama's healthcare policies and apparently the liberal agenda without ever stopping to realize that the man you hoist to that pedestal came from a broken home, had questionable parentage, was a half black man who smoked dope, experimented with drugs, hung with Marxists,......and now is the President of the United States.

Not bad for a guy who was a "low earner"
I thought "tooting horns" was a American thing???????
I am sorry that i defended myself by explaining to you that i am NOT someone who wants others to "pay for me".That was the inference about anyone who wants a UHC. I also was born with nothing. I come from the "East End of London which is the poor, poor part of London and have worked to get where i am. I also have had failures and successes.
Let's get something straight that some Americans seem to find impossible to grasp. The benefit system in the UK is paid for by money paid in by its Citizens..... You could say its like a huge American Insurance Company. We pay our monthly contributions and it is there for us if we need it, just like paying a insurance premium and then making a claim. The BIG difference is that i accept that i will be paying for anyone who has fallen between the cracks and am more than happy to do that. It DOESN'T dilute any help i may get but does help in my Countries overall well being. I have just got out of a Hospital after major surgery and it was a complete success. NO co pays etc etc. just get on with making me well. The guy in the Next room had the same good treatment but he was unemployed and had no money... he got the same great healthcare with no co pay or even the slightest fear of money problems or debt. Sickening isn't it that two UK citizens got great healthcare and one of them does NOT contribute...... No skin off my nose, i am getting better and so is he....didn't cost me any more or fortune either.
What we earn or how successful we are should NOT be the criteria for healthcare. Our life is our most important and fragile possession yet in America today it is only precious if you can afford to keep it.... rather disgusting in the 21st century.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
OK, that's two. I suggest you not even try to compare the innovators from the US with the ones from the UK. A short list would include automobiles, airplanes, computers, (hardly anyone has heard of Sugar's Amstrad computers), arguably the most significant innovations in history. Of course, there are those who will succeed and prosper under nearly any circumstances, but my argument is that the American system has been the most conducive to innovation and individual achievement. But, to paint all achievers with the "I'm going to make mine, not matter who I must trample over" brush is unfair and inaccurate.
I absolutely agree with you that the American system has been one of the most conductive to innovation and individual achievment and may i add in such a quick time. If you have read my posts you will see that is exactly what i say but i also can see that this is in the past. This was when America actually built things, had a flourishing forwad thinking and successful auto industry, had a great textile industry and so on and so on. Now let's get to TODAY. China makes nearly everything in America.... go look it is outrageous. I imported "Americanalia" to a busines of mine in London a short while back. I bought from American companies as i wanted the "real thing". You know the kind of thing "I love America" etc etc etc. EVERY single item had "made in China on it"... i was really shocked and saddened.
I never painted ALL achievers as "i'm going trample over...." but look around you and see how this is becoming a cancer now in America. Faith in Govt is being destroyed by constant revolations of corruption and sleaze...... happens in the UK too. To strive to become a "self made man" is the way to success but to do it, as many seem to be doing now such as the Insurance and finance houses,to others detriment is destructive and doomed to overall failure with the only ones profiting out of the carnage are the top few. When did America last make any kind of C change??????????? Used to happen all the time.
I love America and adore the American people but i detest the "profiteers" who use this " i am going to get their on my own hard work" as a excuse to keep down the less fortunate or the ones who have fallen on hard times.

Last edited by geeoro; 02-26-2010 at 05:34 AM..

Old 02-26-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Righty-o. Before we even dream of anything resembling UHC, this economy needs a strong foundation of absurdly low unemployment. With 8.5 million of us still having no income stream, this is just a flat out retarded time to implement UHC.
Has it NOT occured to you how much employment the creation of a Govt health system would involve?
Not just medical personel but builders, architects, suppliers, security staff, cooks, cleaners,drivers,electricians, teaching staff etc etc etc etc.
Everyone agrees that health and unemployment are two big problems in America yet cannot see how the creation of a UHC would fix both problems..... ooops i forgot...... its NOT all Americans that do not want this just the top few who will lose their "elitist" health cover and the ones who are brainwashed by the scare tactics of the top few.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:44 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Why are Americans such idiots?

"Either taxes will have to rise or other policies need to adjust to deal with the higher costs of state pensions, health and long-term care."

UK debt 'will push retirement age to 70' | Money | The Guardian

Perhaps Americans choose not to listen to countries that are sliding into the toilet, too, with the debt they've piled up. I see they are about to propose moving the UK retirement age to 70. Do you get any quality healthcare in the UK when you are 70 years old considering your formula for treatment is based on cost and number of years you are expected to live?

Perhaps that's your solution to rising healthcare costs. Kill off the old people so they don't drain the system.

"Pensions and healthcare costs could push Britain's net debt up above 150pc by 2050, it now fears the added cost of the financial crisis means the debt mountain could in fact rival that in 1945, when the cost of fighting a world war pushed debt well beyond 200pc of GDP."

UK's debt will quadruple unless drastic steps are taken, says S&P - Telegraph

And what's this?

"Britain must charge for health care and raise retiring age to escape debt crisis, says IMF"

Britain must charge for health care and raise retiring age to escape debt crisis, says IMF | Mail Online

You should be asking why our President and majority party in Congress want us to go down the same rabbit hole as you guys.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
I Love how Obama seems to be the fly in the ointment for many on here, rather than the health debate itself. It is abundantly clear to anyone that this whole health debate has turned into a Obama "hate fest". .
Wrong again. We hated it when it was Hillary's idea, too.

Do you know why there is no UHC in the U.S.?

Because we don't want it. If we wanted it, we'd have it by now. DUH.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wrong again. We hated it when it was Hillary's idea, too.

Do you know why there is no UHC in the U.S.?

Because we don't want it. If we wanted it, we'd have it by now. DUH.
Myopia is a amazing thing!

Old 02-26-2010, 05:58 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Quote:
Healthcare is amazing in America as long as you have enough money to pay high insurance premiums or you havs a gold plated diamond encrusted healthcare plan such as the decision makers in Washington or the Media anti health reform pundits such as Hannity, Beck, Limbaugh, Rove etc. These people who have Normal Americans health in their hands really do NOT care whether Mr and Mrs America curl up in pain and fade away or become bankrupt because of America's one sided health system. The top earners, decision makers, wealthy or the ones with good on the job health cover are pretty pleased with the status quo and will fight tooth and nail to keep it.
Republicans now see the health debate as the foot in the door back to power.Everyday Americans are just collateral damage to them in their quest for the Whitehouse.
UHC has become a word of fear in America because of fear and brainwashing by the powerful who would rather see good honest Americans go bankrupt or even die than give up their "Elite" health cover.
I am in the UK at the moment recovering from Emergency Surgery from a badly gangrous gall bladder.
I doubled up in pain last Thursday and was rushed into Hospital by Ambulance. Straight into the Emergency room. Medical team straight in to see me. Pain killers and tests were immediately done. I was taken to a ward kept under Obs and more tests. By then it was Friday morning and i was taken to the Theatre and the Consultant Operated on me. Keyhole surgery and complete success.
Monday am... feeling great.... given pain killers, anti biotics etc to take with me and going home.
Tuesday up and about .... going to my GP tomorrow to get wounds checked etc etc.
No out of pocket expenses and Nothing to pay for the drugs etc etc.
I paid my NHS insurance every month i worked in the UK and that was that. No Bankruptcy, No sleepless nights, No hidden suprises. If i had been unemployed or on benefits or just a UK citizen or legal resident i would have got exactly the same treatment etc.
This must be the DEMON UHC!
STOP letting the people with self interest fool good honest American's that a UHC or Govt run health plan is bad for you...... it is the best investment America could ever make and would create millions upon millions of NEW jobs.
Get real America and give America back to good honest American's and not the plaything of the decision makers and overpayed media who now dictate to America and the next time you pick up a glass and wish "good health" you mean it for ALL Americans and not just the ones at the top.
For the first time in America, create a real AMERICAN health service for All Americans.
Well fortunately here in Australia we have health care system that is so similar to the UK and thank God its not like the US heath care system.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:07 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Well here in Australia at first when it was introduced universal health care it had alot of opposition especially among the medical profession and other Australians, but the oppositon to it largely dissapeared over time.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why are Americans such idiots?

"Either taxes will have to rise or other policies need to adjust to deal with the higher costs of state pensions, health and long-term care."

UK debt 'will push retirement age to 70' | Money | The Guardian
Damn...... if i listened to the Guardian and other such like media i would be hiding under my bed.
Perhaps Americans choose not to listen to countries that are sliding into the toilet, too, with the debt they've piled up. I see they are about to propose moving the UK retirement age to 70. Do you get any quality healthcare in the UK when you are 70 years old considering your formula for treatment is based on cost and number of years you are expected to live?
Is that the same toilet America is in right now? Our house prices are rising are yours??????
Do you know how many years this increase in retirement age has been "bandied about"? MANY! In fact we have reduced many aspects of benefits and retirement to a universal 60 years of age where previously it was Women retire at 60 and Men at 65. Many retire at 55 with privte retirement plans and then still get their state pensions when they choose at a later age.
My father is 88 and has just recently recieved a double heart bypass, mytral valve replacement and pacemaker on the NHS. He is recovering great and has the best treatment. Now YOU tell me how his life expectancy at 88,as you suggested, has affected the quality of his healthcare.

Perhaps that's your solution to rising healthcare costs. Kill off the old people so they don't drain the system.
You ar one of many now in America who believe the lies about "killing off old people" in a UHC. It is Absolute RUBBISH!

"Pensions and healthcare costs could push Britain's net debt up above 150pc by 2050, it now fears the added cost of the financial crisis means the debt mountain could in fact rival that in 1945, when the cost of fighting a world war pushed debt well beyond 200pc of GDP."

UK's debt will quadruple unless drastic steps are taken, says S&P - Telegraph

And what's this?

"Britain must charge for health care and raise retiring age to escape debt crisis, says IMF"

Britain must charge for health care and raise retiring age to escape debt crisis, says IMF | Mail Online

You should be asking why our President and majority party in Congress want us to go down the same rabbit hole as you guys.
If you are one of the people who believe the media then go straight ahead. The media earns money with sensationalism.... a bad story sells far more than a good one. A recent point on this was my daughter. She was approached by a few National UK Newspapers for interviews about her friend who was a X-factor finalist in the UK. They tried hard to put bad spin on my daughters friend and my daughter would not go along with them. They only printed what could be considered bad publicity for her friend and left out the good points. Not lies but very bent truth.
We read these stories of fear in the UK.... Wrap our fish and chips up in the old newspaper and get on with real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies