Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:32 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

According to the results of this study that answer may well be Yep, Yep and yep. It seems that those with degrees are more likely to believe in same sex marriage and a number of things that you need to read to the end of the article to see all of.

CNSNews.com - College Professors Are More Likely to Believe ‘Ten Commandments are Irrelevant Today,' New Study Says (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=61703 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 10:37 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
This makes me very happy. The sooner we get rid of fairy tales and book of myths from schools, the better.

When you get a degree, you are educated. Most of them know there is no there is no danger in same sex marriage and MOST IMPORTANTLY you realize just how silly religion is. I know I am and I am going through university. To do what? I am going for education and eventually hope to become a professor to put more logic into students. Yes, conservatives. I will be there to brainwash your children with my liberal beliefs.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:58 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
That's one stupid survey. So more professors are likely to agree that America corrupts otherwise good people? I'm sure professors would agree that just about anything corrupts otherwise good people. Educated people are taught to think for themselves and not immediately spout what they learned in grade school. There are shades of gray out there; not everything is black and white. The educated are more aware of those shades, while less-educated people prefer black and white.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:04 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Having a degree makes us feel superior. Why can't people just worship us as the gods we are for getting that piece of paper?

Old 02-24-2010, 02:10 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
"Does having a college degree affect the way we think?"

Oh, most assuredly! How can the process of academic inquiry not change how one thinks.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
The religious community has long known that education can often lead to the end of belief. Or at least certain beliefs.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:17 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Wow this one is going to stoke the fires of anti-intellectualism on the right.

A college degree has value, I believe, in two main areas. First, many degrees offer concentrated skill training in an area of science or arts as job preparation. My college experience in computer science has led to a very satisfying career as a corporate trainer in which I train programmers and developers in new languages.

The second area in which a degree has value is alluded to above. Most college degrees require courses where students develop critical thinking skills-- a necessary skill set to mentally collate and evaluate the massive amount of information available and come to a reasonable conclusion. As a part of this, college teaches the difference between scientific study and simple belief-- a delineation that seems sadly missing from the discourse of many here on CD. I'd bet my cool new laptop that most conspiracy theorists are seriously challenged in the critical thinking department... Which would include the birthers, truthers, etc....

Do I expect to be worshipped because I went to college? No, of course not. Am I better than the guy who makes furniture for a living or the woman who cleans hotel rooms. Nope. But I have developed skill sets that make my opinion in some debates more reasoned and less easily undermined with even light scrutiny.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
According to the results of this study that answer may well be Yep, Yep and yep. It seems that those with degrees are more likely to believe in same sex marriage and a number of things that you need to read to the end of the article to see all of.

CNSNews.com - College Professors Are More Likely to Believe ‘Ten Commandments are Irrelevant Today,' New Study Says (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=61703 - broken link)
The Ten Commandments were never really relevant. How many did Moses get killed, following "Thou Shall Not Kill"?

It shouldn't take a college degree to figure all that out.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:23 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Eh...
I find those that are genuinely Happy and Satisfied, and have a college degree, are pretty much clinging to the middle, not the left or the right. The ones in the corners are like those old guys in the Muppet Show.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:28 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Eh...
I find those that are genuinely Happy and Satisfied, and have a college degree, are pretty much clinging to the middle, not the left or the right. The ones in the corners are like those old guys in the Muppet Show.
I think you could be on to something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies