Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:52 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,974,155 times

Advertisements

DON'T GET THAT COLLEGE DEGREE! - New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 10:02 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that someone will be better off in life if they remain uneducated. Every study ever done shows that people with college educations are generally healthier, wealthier, happier, and more involved with their communities. Of course there are exceptions, but this author's making an argument that is plainly ridiculous on its face.

Not to mention the fact that education is about a lot more than making a buck. There is enormous inherent value to education, apart from the financial incentives.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:05 PM

83 posts, read 299,866 times
I read this yesterday.

So stupid.

Keep in mind the Post is owned by the same company as Fox News!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:38 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
That article makes too many assumptions based on averages. No one I know has made consistent 8% returns on stocks it is always up and down the only persons who have come close are people I know whose families have held the same stocks for generations. Who knows where the market will be when a person will need to draw from their savings for retirement. Secondly no one will ever get the average pay consistently all throughout their career, there are lay offs, transitions etc. not to mention it will take a while to find a job after college or high school especially in this environment, that will impact how much someone will earn so it is impossible to predict the return on investment for a degree with the certainty the article does. Finally it assumes a consistent savings rate this does not happen. Now the savings rate is around 5%, but that is the highest it has been in decades. I wonder what the math would look like for this problem if they used 2006 savings rates of -.02%. Additionally savings rates are not equal for all income earning categories the more you earn the more you save so chances are the higher earning college grad would save at a higher % then the high school grad. There are so many varibles this article doesn't take into account it is insane. People should decide whether or not to go to college based on what they want to do with their lives not on some contrived and faulty collection of averages that almost never apply in the real world.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:48 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Now you tell me.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:51 PM

527 posts, read 1,282,254 times
Psh. A news article isn't going to stop me.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:55 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nookiee View Post
The best thing to do is be a non-white minority and get someone else to pay the costs under some diversity program....like Obama.

Nobody helps disadvantaged Whites, ever.
What does this have to do with the article? Disadvantaged whites can apply for financial aid just like any other disadvantaged people. My roommate was from a poor family and she had all kinds of aid and then on top of that she chose to go to a HBCU on a minority scholarship. Quit whining.

That being said - this article is so stupid.
Quote:
Worst of all, bright citizens spend their lives not knowing the things they ought to know, because they've been granted liberal-arts degrees for something far short of a liberal-arts education
Exactly what is it that bright citizens ought to know? All the education in the world will never be the equivalent of common sense.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
It's very difficult to get even an administrative job without a degree. Although a degree does not guarantee a job, employers would likely screen someone out simply because they do not possess the degree. It is better to get a degree in something that's marketable, obtain work experience or internships while in school and work on polishing your interview skills. So if everyone and their mamas are obtaining business degrees, look into another type of degree that will set you apart from the competition. Ultimately, it's how you market your product (your education, experience, skills, accomplishments, etc) that will get you the job. The goal is to set yourself apart from the competition. What a prospective employers sees that you have a degree, they will likely view you as someone who has discipline, hard work and persistence to accomplish that goal.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,280,673 times
Just another right-wing effort to dumb-down America.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
The issues described in the article can be avoided. I went to a State college. I worked while going to college. I only owed around $3000 when I graduated. I'm doing better than if I'd not obtained a college education. No problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies