Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:49 AM

768 posts, read 1,088,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn View Post
The extent of taxation is set by our elected representatives.

That is not tyranny.
It's a good thing that most of the posters on this thread were not living at the time of the American Revolution or we'd still be under British rule as it appears the majority here prefer shackles and servitude to freedom and personal sovereignty It is true, the majority of Americans get the government they deserve and the rest have to suffer due to the cowardice and or apathy of the majority.

Quote:
Paying one's taxes by force of law is a fact?.
So was slavery at one point. So was racial segregation. So was male only suffrage. Using your logic we should still have these forms of oppression.

Quote:
You are calling my country tyrannical and you're calling the federal gov. a tyrant. I don't see it.
Some only see what they are comfortable seeing. Others are cursed with seeing what really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 AM

938 posts, read 1,230,905 times
Quote:
It is nonsense. You'd be lectured by any judge under the sun if you tried pushing an argument like that.

Why do you capitalize the word 'labor'?

FYI contractors break the law all the time with undeclared cash payments for services rendered.
Ok I'm done. You know it all. I work with contractors daily but you know it all.

Have fun choking down your taxes. just don't cry when some stupid tax you finally don't agree with comes down the pike like a tax on your car travel. oh yeah, ever heard of cap and tax? get ready. but it's all in the name of paying our 'fair share' right? you deserve every dumb tax instituted.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:54 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,489,970 times
Congress is not bought & paid,politicians are elected democratically...
By deception,by demagogy,by populism...maybe...but they are legitimately elected...

Run for office,bring them down...democratically,if u can...

Old 03-15-2010, 11:58 AM

938 posts, read 1,230,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
By deception,by demagogy,by populism...maybe...but they are legitimately elected...

If I had the money to buy a seat, I would. they are bought off and paid for. not for the people. do some more research and you'll find that out.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post

So is self-delusion working okay for you? The "if you can" tag at the end of your post tells me you don't wholeheartedly believe what you are saying and neither do I.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:34 PM

377 posts, read 326,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consent Withdrawn View Post
It's a good thing that most of the posters on this thread were not living at the time of the American Revolution or we'd still be under British rule as it appears the majority here prefer shackles and servitude to freedom and personal sovereignty It is true, the majority of Americans get the government they deserve and the rest have to suffer due to the cowardice and or apathy of the majority.
They fought for taxation with representation.

You got that.

You got light taxes.

You got light reporting requirements -you only have to file once a year.

What is it that you're complaining about?

Quote:
So was slavery at one point. So was racial segregation. So was male only suffrage. Using your logic we should still have these forms of oppression.
Are you comparing our low taxes to slavery and the women's movement?

Can you see how someone looking at that might think you are extreme in your views?

Quote:
Some only see what they are comfortable seeing. Others are cursed with seeing what really is.
That's true. But I don't live in a solipsistic shoebox. I know what the tax laws are. I know how our tax rates compare internationally. And most important, I think I have a grasp on what is and what isn't a pressing issue in today's world.

And our Tax rates are not a pressing issue.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:36 PM

377 posts, read 326,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
Ok I'm done. You know it all. I work with contractors daily but you know it all.

Have fun choking down your taxes. just don't cry when some stupid tax you finally don't agree with comes down the pike like a tax on your car travel. oh yeah, ever heard of cap and tax? get ready. but it's all in the name of paying our 'fair share' right? you deserve every dumb tax instituted.
As do you.

And you will pay your taxes or you will enjoy a cooling down period in prison.

It's up to you how far you want to go with your perceived heroism over modest taxation.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:50 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,489,970 times
There are many examples of Dem politicians who got elected while being broke poor & having the local/regional, even their party's establishment against them...

Numerous examples of Davids,with no money,no endorsements,no support from "lobbies " who succeeded over Goliaths...

If u r a David,run for office,if u r good enough,u will succeed...

Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
They fought for taxation with representation.

You got that.
Oh we have taxation with representation all right and no one questions that. But the question is, who is being represented? When our tax dollars went to bail out Wall Street, who was represented? When are tax dollars are used to fight wars that the majority of Americans's do not support, who is being represented? When our tax dollars are used to fund a government that passes laws making it legal and lucrative for American corporations to move out of the country and in the process lay off thousands of employees, who is being represented? When our tax dollars are used to provide salaries and benefits for politicians which are way out of line with the salaries of the majority of people they claim to represent. who is really being represented?

Quote:
You got light taxes.
Relative. Are you also taking into consideration all the enforced mandated expenses? Any time one must spend money against their will and with threat of punishment or sanction, I call that a tax.

Quote:
You got light reporting requirements -you only have to file once a year.
Yes and that is probably be design and definitely works in the taxing authority's favor because the once a year reporting causes most people not to think about taxes the other 364 days of the year and makes it easier to fall into the apathetic torpor that the government wants us to be in so it is all the easier to manipulate us. Your post is proof positive that their scheme works.

Quote:
Can you see how someone looking at that might think you are extreme in your views?
My views aren't as extreme as you think although my rhetoric may be. When you push for an extreme solution, at least there will be forward movement. You push for A in hopes to getting B.

Quote:
That's true. But I don't live in a solipsistic shoebox. I know what the tax laws are. I know how our tax rates compare internationally. And most important, I think I have a grasp on what is and what isn't a pressing issue in today's world.
No I am definitely a part of my community and one of the ways I contribute to my community is by working and paying my own way. I am not a drain on my community in any way. My use of the roads is paid for by gas taxes and my annual vehicle registration fee. The one time in my life I collected unemployment, it was paid for by my former employer and myself paying into the UC fund. From a non-monetary standpoint, I am a peaceful person who does no harm to others. That's all anyone should be expected to do.

Quote:
And our Tax rates are not a pressing issue.
Something tells me you are in a minority there because even when taxes per se are not center stage, any issue that is pressing must be decided based on the application of taxes. Whether it's healthcare, education or crime, it's always about taxes. Universal healthcare, for example, is not really a divisive issue in and of itself. Who wouldn't want it? It is the funding of it that is the issue and that is taxation. Almost every pressing issue is about taxes my friend.

Last edited by Consent Withdrawn; 03-16-2010 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-16-2010, 11:01 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
You know what needs to be killed? This thread with the asinine title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies