Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:01 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,493 times

Advertisements

I never quite understood what constitutes a "hate crime" and why the punishment for one is greater than a good ole friendly crime. What does that say to the victim of as non hate crime (whatever that means); basically that their pain and suffering isn't as worthy of the pain and suffering of a victim of a hate crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 11:05 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,517 times
I agree. Although I am a liberal, I believe that a crime, e.g., assault, even murder, is a terrible act and derives from a malicious state of mind. Aren't they all a crimes that arise out of hate?

Old 02-27-2010, 11:09 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I never quite understood what constitutes a "hate crime" and why the punishment for one is greater than a good ole friendly crime. What does that say to the victim of as non hate crime (whatever that means); basically that their pain and suffering isn't as worthy of the pain and suffering of a victim of a hate crime?

The primary reason for designating a crime a hate crime is because some local law enforcement agencies didn't do their due dillagence when investigating/prosecuting a crime when the victim was a minority.... be that race, religion, or sexual orientation. To insure that these crimes were investigated/prosecuted fairly, designating them as hate crimes allowed the federal law enforancement agencies to become involved.

For a quick reference, think civil rights in the 50s and 60s.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime

If justice had been served by local authorities as it should have, hate crime designation wouldn't have come about.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:26 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,663,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
Aren't they all a crimes that arise out of hate?
No, and I've never understood that old line.

Examples:
If a stranger robs my house, it's highly unlikely that he did it out of "hate". Burglaries are generally crimes of opportunity.

If you drive over the speed limit, you've broken the law. Does it mean you hate the road? Or the drivers around you?

As for hate crime laws, my opinion is that they're a form of social engineering - just like all other laws.

Hate crime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-27-2010, 11:32 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,008,826 times
Doesn't the "hate crime" legislation also change the sentencing for whatever given crime? I believe it is an enhancement and usually results in a more substantial sentence then an identical crime without the "hate crime" aspect.
Although, I am not a lawyer or judge, it just seems logical.
I'm sure there's a shark, er, i mean lawyer posting around here somewhere that could be more specific.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:43 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,780,380 times
Yeah, I understand about the federal predicate grounds for this, but I agree that a crime is a crime.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
I don't see the need for a distinction

Old 02-28-2010, 12:22 AM

684 posts, read 1,150,517 times
If a stranger robs my house, it's highly unlikely that he did it out of "hate". Burglaries are generally crimes of opportunity.

If you drive over the speed limit, you've broken the law. Does it mean you hate the road? Or the drivers around you?
Duh. My examples only dealt with crimes against persons like assault or murder. I doubt there are any burglary or speeding crimes that are classified as hate crimes. Same goes for any crimes without a specific mens rea intending harm against a person or a specific person's property.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:54 AM

640 posts, read 1,731,883 times
I think a hate crime is worse because you are are doing something intentionally to create an atmosphere of fear for an entire group of people based on their race/sex/religion/sexuality etc. If I (I'm a tiny Latina chick) attack a white person and start yelling out derogatory things about white people, would you see a thread about it on city data? Most definitely. Because it has created fear for an entire community of people based on their race. I'll admit there does seem to be a double standard when it comes to white people however.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:13 AM

181 posts, read 707,618 times
Once again, South Park gets it right:

Cartman's Silly Hate Crime - Episode Guide - South Park Studios
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies