Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:35 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Our education system, starting in first grade, has to start teaching metric only. Within a couple of decades we would have to change all our speed limit signs and put the metric distance first instead of second. People would get used to it.
The UK changed from Imperial to Metric over a 20-25 year period starting around 1965. I was one of the last years at school to learn the old system and that included the old money.

Just try multiplying £1 7s 8d (one pound seven and eightpence) by 13

Remember, 12 pence in a shilling, 20 shillings in a pound, 240 pence in a pound and 21 shillings in a Guinea. Easy right

The money changed from the old system to decimal in 1971. I was 16 and we didn't regret seeing that disappear from our arithmetic tests Other than a few codgers, I doubt there are many who miss it.

Weights and measures changed over a much longer period of time. However miles and pints (20oz) are still used thereby avoiding the need to change all the street signs However, gas is sold in litrres and sugar in kilos.

I spent several years living in Europe before settling here in the USA. So I got familiar with both the metric and non-metric systems and, to be honest, I have no difficulty switching between the two. Same goes for driving on the left, a system which is far superior to the French introduction of driving on the right. Quite why the US would want to go with the French driving system is beyond me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 07:40 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Technically the Metric System has been standard in the US since the end of the Civil War (1860s). However, it never caught on with the public. In recent history presidents Ford and Reagan tried to switch the US to metric, but they were only partially successful, the public still never embraced the metric system.
Understandably so. Although I think the metric system is superior, I understand Americans, especially adults, when they wonder why they should change if there are no clear advantages in everyday life...

Although it is different of course, I assume such a transition is somewhat similar to the introduction of the Euro currency in Europe. Although that was over 10 years ago, I still don't have the same feeling for the currency that I used to have for the D-Mark. Luckily the conversion rate was 1:2, so one can quickly calculate what something would have cost in D-Mark. But it must have been much more difficult for the French. Sometimes I see a price and it is just a number to me, I can't tell if that is an appropriate price or not. Gradually this is changing as my brain has stored more and more reference prices.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
I think nobody can deny that the metric system is much better. 100C water boils, 0 C water freezes. 100 Meters is 1/10 of a Kilometer etc. Americans are just too lazy.
I may be more efficient but it's not as poetic.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
In recent history presidents Ford and Reagan tried to switch the US to metric, but they were only partially successful, the public still never embraced the metric system.
Actually, Ford pursued it; Reagan killed it.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
aint gonna hapen too bad. go live in europe and have your metric.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
aint gonna hapen too bad. go live in europe and have your metric.
It will. But you won't have to worry about it I promise.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
we all know you are obsessed with obama however
So now we are obsessed with individuals we post about? Since you are posting about me, should I assume your obsession is in regards to myself?

Old 03-03-2010, 11:02 PM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I remember in school when we started having to learn the metric system. It was in the second or third grade or so/ early mid 1970s. I remember thinking I had just learned about inches, feet, ounces, miles, etc. and now we have to learn something completely new. This is dumb. I was proven somewhat right since we didn't use over half of what we learned. The same went for solar power. Solar was good, coal and oil and nuclear was bad. The government gets politics in the education sytem and screws things up.
I still can't believe they actually have classes dedicated to taking government achievement tests.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:11 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
About 60% of scientists and researchers in the Silicon Valley were born abroad, i.e. they are used to the metric system. For the nation as a whole the rate is still 21%.

Herhold: Statistics offer glimpses into how Silicon Valley lives - SiliconValley.com
That's nice but I asked if you realize how many inventions were from the U.S.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:01 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
FWIW - The 7.65 x 63 mm, 7.65 NATO and the 308 Winchester ate all the same cartridge. They fit the M-14 rifle and M-60 machine gun. The people that use these things do not get confused.
Ehm - 7.62 x 51 mm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies