Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:24 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Could it be because Chile with a GDP of $16 billion dollars and a casualty rate that has yet to approach four digits does not have the same dire need as a country which by every possible indices is the poorest and most desperate country in the Western Hemisphere even without a national disaster?

Oh, of course that couldn't be the answer, only some bizarre argument of Obama's (you can add this one to the list after you look it up) Neo-Pan Africanist sentiments could be!
That and there's only so many dollars to go around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 02:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Haiti is much closer physically as well so there's that. People react more to things they know.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:28 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
America has a hard time multi-tasking disasters.
They cant run 2 wars :-) and do natural disasters in 2 other countries.
We only have some many troops and so much money to be the world policeman.
Oooooo did I just say that, I'm sorry I dont know what came over me..
Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya Kum bay ya my lord we are broke.

Of course Obama did pledge to assist.. everyone must have missed that., checks are being printed right now.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
I'll keep mine at home, I sent my contribution to the Cheyenne River Reservation when the storm knocked out their power and water. Like I said, we need to learn how to say:

"We'd like to help but we are broke and in debt"

Old 03-02-2010, 02:33 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Agreed!

I brought this up earlier in the week in a post, and somehow the Obamacrat Kool-aid crowd took it as a racist comment.

While I'm glad Hillary arrived today with a handfull of satelite phones, there is much more the US should do to help Chile. When will Obama pledge dollars and help to Chile the way he did to Haiti?
Are you really deliberately being that uninformed as to not even read the posts of your fellow posters on this forum where all of this has been explained? Why would you deliberately have tunnel-vision on this? That's just being willfully ignorant.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:35 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
here come some aid now.

Quote:
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says the United States is preparing an extensive aid package for Chile after Saturday's powerful earthquake that killed more than 700 people and displaced an estimated two million.
US Promises Aid for Chile Quake Victims | Americas | English

Old 03-02-2010, 02:49 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
here come some aid now.
Now it's time for the same posters who claimed that Obama withheld aide to Chile becasue he's a racist to claim that Obama is sending aide to Chile to bankrupt the US on purpose.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:18 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Yeah, that must be it. It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that in Haiti, the devastation was 10x's as severe as in Chile. It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that Chile will be able to recover on it's own while Haiti would become a cesspool of disease and continued inhumane conditions without assistance.
Sad thing is, Haiti was a cesspool of disease and dishonesty, long before the quake. The US has dumped millions, if not billions into Haiti over the past to help this country improve, with no results. I hate to say it, but seems like money wasted. Chile, on the other hand, is a prosperous country, with a growing middle class, excellent work ethic and world class city (Santiago). Should we have to choose where to send money, seems Chile should get the dollars.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:21 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Sad thing is, Haiti was a cesspool of disease and dishonesty, long before the quake. The US has dumped millions, if not billions into Haiti over the past to help this country improve, with no results. I hate to say it, but seems like money wasted. Chile, on the other hand, is a prosperous country, with a growing middle class, excellent work ethic and world class city (Santiago). Should we have to choose where to send money, seems Chile should get the dollars.
it's a sad commentary that the weaker the person or country, the more help that he/she/it is likely to get. but it is true.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:23 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I'll keep mine at home, I sent my contribution to the Cheyenne River Reservation when the storm knocked out their power and water. Like I said, we need to learn how to say:

"We'd like to help but we are broke and in debt"

exactly right- When does it end? Every time a natural disaster occurs in the world it's always a matter of how much it's going to cost us....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies