Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:48 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

after the Haiti earthquake, it seemed like everyone was bending over backwards to aid the Haitians. there seems to be nowhere near the lvel to aid the Chileans. Agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 01:57 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
after the Haiti earthquake, it seemed like everyone was bending over backwards to aid the Haitians. there seems to be nowhere near the lvel to aid the Chileans. Agree or disagree?
Agreed!

I brought this up earlier in the week in a post, and somehow the Obamacrat Kool-aid crowd took it as a racist comment.

While I'm glad Hillary arrived today with a handfull of satelite phones, there is much more the US should do to help Chile. When will Obama pledge dollars and help to Chile the way he did to Haiti?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:00 PM

768 posts, read 942,206 times
I'm sure it's because Haitians are black and Hussein Obama only cares about his black brothers.

Palin 2012, ya'll!

Old 03-02-2010, 02:00 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
...the Obamacrat Kool-aid crowd...
Oh, gawd, you can't possibly be doing your own typing with a brain that dead.

Obama and other world leaders immediately offered aid and it was refused at first!

Do a little fact-checking before trotting out your moronic right wing nutjob cliches.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 PM

768 posts, read 942,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
Oh, gawd, you can't possibly be doing your own typing with a brain that dead.

Obama and other world leaders immediately offered aid and it was refused at first!

Do a little fact-checking before trotting out your moronic right wing nutjob cliches.
You'll notice in time that it stems from a lack of intellectual ability, but as time goes on that inability or unwillingness to absorb the nuance of the world results in an unquenchable desire to simply "pick a team." Nothing more.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
You'll notice in time that it stems from a lack of intellectual ability, but as time goes on that inability or unwillingness to absorb the nuance of the world results in an unquenchable desire to simply "pick a team." Nothing more.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Exactly what Obamacrats have done. Follow the leader (pretend leader)....pick a team.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:15 PM

92 posts, read 255,028 times
Default Yes, BUT...

I agree that it seems no one is in a rush to aid Chile. But here's why (I believe):
  • Chile is MUCH better-equipped to handle a disaster like this as it has buidings designed to withstand earthquakes, better emergency response, etc.
  • Haiti, on the other hand, was very poorly equipped to handle such a disaster as it is not used to such things happening whereas Chile has earthquakes relatively often. Relatively (key word there).
  • Haiti is an EXTREMELY poor country compared to Chile. Hardly any people had good access to good food to begin with and after the earthquake, they had pretty much zero access to ANY food OR water. So Haiti was in dire need of assistance.
I lived in Chile for two and a half months a couple years ago so I would know about these things. Not to sound like a know-it-all, but, you know. lol

Old 03-02-2010, 02:17 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Initially they stated that they didn't require aid - I am guessing that might be behind the delay.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:18 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. Exactly what Obamacrats have done. Follow the leader (pretend leader)....pick a team.
Yeah, that must be it. It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that in Haiti, the devastation was 10x's as severe as in Chile. It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that Chile will be able to recover on it's own while Haiti would become a cesspool of disease and continued inhumane conditions without assistance.

Last edited by songgirl; 03-02-2010 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-02-2010, 02:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Could it be because Chile with a GDP of $16 billion dollars and a casualty rate that has yet to approach four digits does not have the same dire need as a country which by every possible indices is the poorest and most desperate country in the Western Hemisphere even without a national disaster?

Oh, of course that couldn't be the answer, only some bizarre argument of Obama's (you can add this one to the list after you look it up) Neo-Pan Africanist sentiments could be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies