Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is President Obama too reasonable for his own good?
Yes 23 46.94%
No 20 40.82%
Not sure 6 12.24%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:46 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,697,867 times

Advertisements

If he were more forceful from the outset with his proposals, he could then moderate his positions as negotiations proceed, and he would be more appreciated for his willingness to compromise. Instead, he starts out wanting to "play nice" with everybody, and gets steamrolled as the process moves along. The health care debate is a prime example of this.

Why Obama's Too Reasonable for His Own Good - Newsweek.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 02:08 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,019,914 times
He's getting steamrolled??

The Dems are going for reconciliation, at his request. Trying to pass legislation that affects nearly every American, that will cost over 2 trillion. That his own party doesn't fully support, and no members of the opposing party support. And most importantly...the public doesn't support!!

Tell me again who's getting steamrolled?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,406,766 times
The fact that REPUBLICANS have collosal flaws doesn't reflect one bit on President Obama's brilliance. Some say he's too reasonable. I say that Republicans are wholly unreasonable. He attempted to "reach across the table" as he promised, but I'm sure even he has to admit that trying to make progress with Republican input is as useless as a blind man turning around to look.

President Obama doing an excellent job, now realizing that to get things done, he must go around clueless Republicans. After all, 8 horrific years of Bush taught us that Republicans are no longer qualified to be a major political party or to be taken seriously.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:38 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,699,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
The fact that REPUBLICANS have collosal flaws doesn't reflect one bit on President Obama's brilliance. Some say he's too reasonable. I say that Republicans are wholly unreasonable. He attempted to "reach across the table" as he promised, but I'm sure even he has to admit that trying to make progress with Republican input is as useless as a blind man turning around to look.

President Obama doing an excellent job, now realizing that to get things done, he must go around clueless Republicans. After all, 8 horrific years of Bush taught us that Republicans are no longer qualified to be a major political party or to be taken seriously.
Step One: Please remove head from sand.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:38 PM

768 posts, read 943,892 times
I read that article and disagree strongly. Whenever I hear the "Obama is soft" charge from a liberal it is usually a politically unsophisticated type (ie, Moore, Maher, Krugman(brilliant, but doesn't get the game) et al) who doesn't really understand how Washington works. You can't just hammer stuff in the way many think you can. Look: the system is broken. The game is rigged. If you want to wax poetic about that, fine. I'll probably end up agreeing with you. But as the system stands now, legislation has to be massaged, cradled, amended, and then (maybe) sent forward.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:42 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,876,854 times
No, he's not too reasonable, he still thinks he is working with adults. I don't many of us do, however.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:42 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,415,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If he were more forceful from the outset with his proposals, he could then moderate his positions as negotiations proceed, and he would be more appreciated for his willingness to compromise. Instead, he starts out wanting to "play nice" with everybody, and gets steamrolled as the process moves along. The health care debate is a prime example of this.

Why Obama's Too Reasonable for His Own Good - Newsweek.com

If by reasonable you mean directly and willfully opposed to the expressed desire of the voters, then yes, I agree. He is far too reasonable.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:44 PM

768 posts, read 943,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If by reasonable you mean directly and willfully opposed to the expressed desire of the voters, then yes, I agree. He is far too reasonable.
How so?

I'll probably disagree, but as a sincere request, why not bother explaining or defending yourself? What is up with people who come on here to just spew one-liners and then skate away? Why bother making the post?

6,084 posts, read 6,053,121 times
He hasn't been reasonable about the public option, much less single payer, he hasn't been active about financial reform, letting an 80 year old man do most of the leg work.

He has been quite reasonable with savvy suits and health industry insiders.

Its a shame, there have been surprisingly more women that have been outspoken on reform while the White House has been disturbingly silent.

6,183 posts, read 6,083,568 times
My beef with Obama is he feels obligated like he has to get an opinion from the right. Bipartisanship is a good thing, but these morons don't want to help you or the country. They'll never soften up to him. The best thing he could do is take what he has with his liberal congress and get done what he feels should be done. Screw gridlock. Pass healthcare reform, wellfare reform, loosen gun laws, raise taxes on upper class, and so on. If the Republicans whine, tell them to kiss his half black/half white rear. And when he's campaigning in 2012 he can say "I loosened gun laws and reformed wellfare laws, 2 conservative instutitions, in 4 years. None of which the right could do in their 6 years in total power."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies