Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:29 PM

292 posts, read 544,176 times

Advertisements

All of this time and money that we've spent fighting this is health care "reform." We could have spent all of that time trying to found out a way to help the job market or improve our educational system, etc. If more people had jobs, there wouldn't be as many people without health insurance, because then, they would be able to afford it.

We have all of these other more important things to worry, but why are we getting so stuck on the issue of health care reform?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 07:33 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,540,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
All of this time and money that we've spent fighting this is health care "reform." We could have spent all of that time trying to found out a way to help the job market or improve our educational system, etc. If more people had jobs, there wouldn't be as many people without health insurance, because then, they would be able to afford it.

We have all of these other more important things to worry, but why are we getting so stuck on the issue of health care reform?
Because health care reform (or more appropriately, health insurance reform), is important for the long-term economic health of this country. That's the real issue. Unfortunately, it gets bogged down in an argument over whether health care is a right or a privelege. Liberals can't seem to understand that taking that route is a loser's argument.

The system as it is keeps people in jobs they hate and prevents aspiring entrepreneurs from going out on their own, taking risks and creating jobs. That's where the real growth comes from in the long term. Furthermore, companies outside the U.S. are not saddled with health care costs the way U.S. companies are.

So, IMHO, we can disagree as to the solution, but the issue is very real.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:

What the progressives are talking about is health insurance reform and they are using that to make it appear that they really want care reform when all they are after is government control of health care that will lead to more government control of other parts of our lives.

Anybody with a mind to think with could see that that is the reason for the speed they want to act with. It must be done by the end of this month because much later would make it very hard to convince voters in November that they hadn't been screwed over and it is what they want to do.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Quote:

Hmmm the deficit and the amount of it that is the result of skyrocketing health care maybe!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,349,473 times
It just makes sense, both from a moral standpoint, but maybe most importantly, from an economical one.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
This is the first real chance the libs have had in 70 years to implement their vision of UHC. The debacle in 1994 should have given them pause, but they didn't learn from their mistakes......thankfully.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
It's not healthcare reform. They are not reforming any healthcare. It's all about the insurance premiums.

The real question is "Why is government so concerned about subsidizing health insurance?"

Old 03-04-2010, 09:03 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,517 times
Here's what I don't understand about health care reform and the opposition. Obama ran a campaign in 2008 with a clear message that he was planning to reform healthcare and that everyone should have healthcare.

In fact, it was a major issue in the primaries between Hillary and Obama.

So, a majority of American's voted for a man where one of his major platforms was healthcare reform.

So, what does Obama do when he gets into office? He attempts to give the people what they asked for.

Maybe the majority doesn't want it anymore, I don't know. My point is, if you voted for Obama and you can't understand why he's pushing for health care reform, then you probably should stop voting.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not healthcare reform. They are not reforming any healthcare. It's all about the insurance premiums.

The real question is "Why is government so concerned about subsidizing health insurance?"

Of course I would insert "Congress" in place of "the government."
It's very misleading to say "the government."

Also, OP, there are many hard working people out there who work full time and don't have health insurance. Also just because someone has health insurance doesn't mean they can afford to utilize it. There are many people who work part-time and don't have health insurance. I have a part-time job and if it wasn't for my mom's job covering me on her health insurance, I would be without health insurance. My job doesn't pay me enough to be able to afford health insurance on my own. Who knows if I'd even qualify for health insurance? It seems like having a beating heart is a pre-existing condition these days.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:33 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Here's what I don't understand about health care reform and the opposition. Obama ran a campaign in 2008 with a clear message that he was planning to reform healthcare and that everyone should have healthcare.

In fact, it was a major issue in the primaries between Hillary and Obama.

So, a majority of American's voted for a man where one of his major platforms was healthcare reform.

So, what does Obama do when he gets into office? He attempts to give the people what they asked for.

Maybe the majority doesn't want it anymore, I don't know. My point is, if you voted for Obama and you can't understand why he's pushing for health care reform, then you probably should stop voting.
Not quite.

He was AGAINST the individual mandate.

He was AGAINST fine/penalties for not having HC.

He was AGAINST taxing health care plans (we all remember how he mocked McCain for that, don't we?)

He was AGAINST funding for abortions.

He was AGAINST funding for illegals.

He said his plan would save $2500 on premiums - a LIE.

He said you could keep your plan if you liked it - a LIE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies