Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:37 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times

Advertisements

This would be the exact reason why my federally employed relative refuses to communicate anything political or government-related via email. He's had this policy for as long as email has been around. Paranoia? Maybe... Or just proactive thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 10:35 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Did you read the link?

The program was put in place during the previous administration. Obama's administration decided to de-classify the details.

Per the article, the computers are programmed to catch transmissions with certain words or phrases. The Homeland Security Department will strip identification from the transmissions and turn them over to NSA.

So the Obama administration isn't reaing the content of our e-mails, and I feel no differently now than I did 3 years ago. I still think that the Patriot Act is intrusive and that there are not enough protections for individuals under it.
Could you tell me why Obama and his Congress have failed to repeal the Patriot Act for over a year? Is the reason the same as the one why he can't get Gitmo shut down? Surely if the Patriot Act is so bad the Dems will get rid of it any day now.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Actually, during the Bush administration, they were intercepting all overseas calls, not just the calls of suspected terrorists. Per Congressional testimony.
Whose Congressional testimony? Nasty Nancy Pelosi?

Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i dont like it much but tell me, so you think bush did not do it?

Old 03-05-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Yes, you were doing an important job, and thank you for serving our country, but the difference is Russia was considered a threat to the United States government. Spying on a known enemy who would love to take control of our country is very different than spying on your own citizens. We are considered a threat to our own government, not because we are terrorists, but for other reasons I won't get into right now.

Call me crazy, call Obama and tell him to look at this post, but many things are going on under the radar the government doesn't want you to know.
I don't think the NSA ever spied on me but then I never talked with any terrorists, either. Do you really think that they took down every phone call that went from the US or came into it? I think you have been reading progressive writing about that time.

Really I was never worried about them taking anything of mine down.

So you can know. The group I worked for was the Army Security Agency which was the parent of the NSA. I almost went to work for them but had a college degree to teach high school and made the mistake, as far as money is concerned.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
And that, I can tentatively agree with. I don't think they said they were going to get rid of the Patriot Act, per se, but I definitely felt that Obama was going to limit the act and restore some of the privacy and freedoms to Americans that the Patriot Act took away. I'm disappointed that this doesn't seem to be happening.
Can you tell me some of the privacies and freedoms that have been taken from me? I just haven't found any of them yet.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:48 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
I just don't see how this is possible. Don't get me wrong, I understand there are technologies out there that are unknown and there is always the possibility of such things, but seriously, if you know anything about networking, it is extremely unlikely that they have the means to monitor such without the express permission and knowledge of the various companies who provide these services.

I just don't see it at all past that cooperation. My emails are encrypted by standards that have yet to this date to even be remotely near breaking and unless the NSA has sniffers directly on the servers to which receive this mail, it would be highly unlikely that they have any ability to monitor such. This would require them to be able to apply such without notice by the staff who monitors these servers and there is no way in hell ANYONE could do such without the knowledge of those who run them.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:10 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Can you tell me some of the privacies and freedoms that have been taken from me? I just haven't found any of them yet.
Just because you haven't personally experienced tyranny as a result of lost freedoms doesn't change the fact you have lost those freedoms, you just haven't tried to exercise them.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:20 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I found it! It WAS the Clinton administration. I thought it had the name of a reptile but the FBI email software was called Carnivore.

"Carnivore was a system implemented by the Federal Bureau of Investigation that was designed to monitor email and electronic communications. It used a customizable packet sniffer that can monitor all of a target user's Internet traffic. Carnivore was implemented during the Clinton administration with the approval of the Attorney General."

Carnivore (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's another reference:

"You may have heard about Carnivore, a controversial program developed by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to give the agency access to the online/e-mail activities of suspected criminals. For many, it is eerily reminiscent of George Orwell's book "1984." Although Carnivore was abandoned by the FBI in favor of commercially available eavesdropping software by January 2005, the program that once promised to renew the FBI's specific influence in the world of computer-communications monitoring is nonetheless intriguing in its structure and application."

HowStuffWorks "How Carnivore Worked"

Old 03-05-2010, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 2,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Please, point out where the Bush admin had a policy of reading the content of your emails. The obama administration is the one implementing the program, not Bush.
You don't remember the wiretapping? God, US citizens have such a short term memory. Phones are as bad as e-mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies