Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:52 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times

Advertisements

It'll certainly encourage outsourcing. That should do amazing things for/to our economy.
Those 15-20% who are uninsured now still won't buy insurance no matter how cheap it is. Will the government fine them? No assets, the fine means nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 01:57 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
The real troubling part is for those who will be forced out of their current health-insurance if the Senate version passes the House. Those with private HSA's. With the IRS as the enforcement strong-arm of the government designated in the Senate bill, all assets could be seized for unpaid healthcare taxes could they not?

Old 03-10-2010, 01:58 PM

938 posts, read 1,230,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
There's lots of debate over whether the Fed Govt should take over Health Care, and to what extent, etc.

Well, suppose it does happen. What do we do then?

Several proposals are out there. Most seem to have several things in common:

1.) Health care insurance will now be mandatory for everyone. If you don't want to sign up, you will be assessed a fine, maybe around the level of $700 per year.

2.) Employers will also face a similar choice. It might depend on how many employees they have. They can either provide insurance for their employees, or they can pay a similar fine to the government for each employee they DON'T insure.

3.) All insurance companies will be required to offer insurance that complies with new government standards, including to anyone who has a pre-existing condition. People who want to sign up, who already have a condition the insurance must pay for (broken arm, diabetes, cancer, other long-term chronic condition etc.), cannot be refused coverage due to that pre-existing condition.

Everyone wants, naturally, to minimize the costs they have to pay, while maintaining sufficient security in case bad things happen.

With these factors in mind, it becomes clear what companies must do, and what each individual should do.

A) We should each drop our present health insurance, as soon as possible. It will cost less to simply pay the annual fine. If you're getting your health insurance thru your employer, negotiate with them to start paying the amount they spend on your policy, directly to you in your paycheck instead. You might find that your employer is soon dropping ALL insurance policies, since it will cost them less to pay their fine too.

B) If/when you incur some major medical problem, THEN go to an insurance company and sign up. The problem you came down with, is now a pre-existing condition... but under the new rules, the insurance company cannot refuse you. They will sign you up for the normal coverage, on the spot, and most of your expenses will be paid for. You will pay the normal premiums during the time they are paying for your medical care, which are far less than your paying for the care yourself.

C) When your condition is cured, drop the insurance, go back to paying only the annual fine (which is much less than the premiums) and wait for the next major malady to come along. If one comes, then sign up for insurance again, after it's diagnosed. Again, they cannot refuse you.

This will get you the security of being able to have insurance pay for anything bad that comes along, while minimizing the amount you have to pay. A win-win situation all around, wouldn't you say?

Of course, how this system will be able to support itself, with basically nobody paying premiums (except the relatively small fine) until they have a condition where they will draw out much more than they pay in, might be a problem. But it's not YOUR problem. Government is handling it. You're obeying all rules and laws, to the letter. Let them worry.

Comments/questions?

I LIKE this idea. I will definitely consider this when the time comes.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:17 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
If the plan goes into effect as stated above.

I will drop insurance for myself and my family. I will then pay my employees a difference in salary based on the premiums they were previously paying to obtain what ever coverage they want. I will pay the penalities to go without insurance and put the money into a money market or CD over time and only pull it out if I need healthcare. If I need more than what I have saved, Ill sign up for government insurance until I no longer need the treatment and continue saving.

Screw the nanny-state for trying to tell me I have to pay for myself (private insurance) and pay higher taxes for everybody else. I am done with the free loaders.
Yeah, screw them! I'm going to drop my auto insurance too! I'll show the Nanny State! The bastards steal my hard earned money every month and use it to pave roads so illegal aliens can drive on them, force me to pay for fire protection when my house has never caught fire, force me to pay for public libraries when I can't eve read... WHERE DOES IT ALL END!?

And keep the Nanny State government off my Medicare and Social Security while you're at it!

Old 03-10-2010, 02:20 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
A) We should each drop our present health insurance,

B) If/when you incur some major medical problem, THEN go to an insurance company and sign up.

C) When your condition is cured, drop the insurance
How very bootstrappy.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:22 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, screw them! I'm going to drop my auto insurance too! I'll show the Nanny State! The bastards steal my hard earned money every month and use it to pave roads so illegal aliens can drive on them, force me to pay for fire protection when my house has never caught fire, force me to pay for public libraries when I can't eve read... WHERE DOES IT ALL END!?

And keep the Nanny State government off my Medicare and Social Security while you're at it!
When confronted with difficult issues, do you normally descend into hysterical ranting and nonsense like this?

Have you sought help?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Flee the Country with Rush, just like the millions who fled RomneyCare in Massachusetts

Old 03-10-2010, 02:26 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
When confronted with difficult issues, do you normally descend into hysterical ranting and nonsense like this?

Have you sought help?
Ahh yes because the OP wasn't a hysterical rant and nonsense.....

Old 03-10-2010, 02:29 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,399,303 times
Quote:
There's lots of debate over whether the Fed Govt should take over Health Care, and to what extent, etc.

Well, suppose it does happen. What do we do then?

Several proposals are out there. Most seem to have several things in common:

1.) Health care insurance will now be mandatory for everyone. If you don't want to sign up, you will be assessed a fine, maybe around the level of $700 per year.

2.) Employers will also face a similar choice. It might depend on how many employees they have. They can either provide insurance for their employees, or they can pay a similar fine to the government for each employee they DON'T insure.

3.) All insurance companies will be required to offer insurance that complies with new government standards, including to anyone who has a pre-existing condition. People who want to sign up, who already have a condition the insurance must pay for (broken arm, diabetes, cancer, other long-term chronic condition etc.), cannot be refused coverage due to that pre-existing condition.

Everyone wants, naturally, to minimize the costs they have to pay, while maintaining sufficient security in case bad things happen.

With these factors in mind, it becomes clear what companies must do, and what each individual should do.

A) We should each drop our present health insurance, as soon as possible. It will cost less to simply pay the annual fine. If you're getting your health insurance thru your employer, negotiate with them to start paying the amount they spend on your policy, directly to you in your paycheck instead. You might find that your employer is soon dropping ALL insurance policies, since it will cost them less to pay their fine too.

B) If/when you incur some major medical problem, THEN go to an insurance company and sign up. The problem you came down with, is now a pre-existing condition... but under the new rules, the insurance company cannot refuse you. They will sign you up for the normal coverage, on the spot, and most of your expenses will be paid for. You will pay the normal premiums during the time they are paying for your medical care, which are far less than your paying for the care yourself.

C) When your condition is cured, drop the insurance, go back to paying only the annual fine (which is much less than the premiums) and wait for the next major malady to come along. If one comes, then sign up for insurance again, after it's diagnosed. Again, they cannot refuse you.

This will get you the security of being able to have insurance pay for anything bad that comes along, while minimizing the amount you have to pay. A win-win situation all around, wouldn't you say?

Of course, how this system will be able to support itself, with basically nobody paying premiums (except the relatively small fine) until they have a condition where they will draw out much more than they pay in, might be a problem. But it's not YOUR problem. Government is handling it. You're obeying all rules and laws, to the letter. Let them worry.

Comments/questions?
Start by learning the system if it's important to you! Don't go by what you're told, go by what you know.

I'd wager it ain't narry as bad as someone has fooled you into thinking it is.

"B) If/when you incur some major medical problem, THEN go to an insurance company and sign up. The problem you came down with, is now a pre-existing condition... but under the new rules, the insurance company cannot refuse you. They will sign you up for the normal coverage, on the spot, and most of your expenses will be paid for. You will pay the normal premiums during the time they are paying for your medical care, which are far less than your paying for the care yourself.

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/917399-if-obamacare-does-pass-what-should-2.html#post13239544#ixzz0hoO8LeCz

With mindsets like that you wonder why there's a need to reform the health care system?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Ahh yes because the OP wasn't a hysterical rant and nonsense.....
Were you about to demonstrate how any of it was?

(yawn)

good luck......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies