Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:30 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Like those jawing away on cell phones while happily going thru a red light and T-boning someone? They're a much larger problem than people jumping in front of trains.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 03:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Like those jawing away on cell phones while happily going thru a red light and T-boning someone? They're a much larger problem than people jumping in front of trains.
Like those train engineers on cell phones?
Expert Says Train Engineer in California Sent Text Messages Before Fatal Crash - NYTimes.com

Old 03-14-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No one should be texting while driving and especially not when they are operating a train full of passengers. I'm grateful that he was not the conductor on my morning train as I use Metrolink for my daily commute.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:11 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Obama has caused such a rush on ammunition that people choosing that route cannot do so the old fashioned way.
Why did he cause people to go out and buy ammunition?

When the planes hit the World Trade Center should have been the reason why!

Terrorist are the enemy!!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
There are train tracks near one of our high schools and more than one student has ended their life this way. It's incredibly sad no matter who or why and it does cause trama to those that have to deal with the aftermath no matter how "trained" they are to deal with that sort of thing.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:25 PM

79 posts, read 76,639 times
Judging by this thread, I'm guessing that most of you have never been through years (sometimes decades) of incurable, major depression. Selfishness is not going through these people's minds when they lie on the tracks waiting for the next train. They want it all to end. There are more private methods of offing yourself, but firearms are by far the most effective and not everyone has access to those and that isn't a sure-fire method anyway.

I do understand that witnessing such a thing would be extremely traumatic. It's part of a sad reminder that our society and the pressure and the torment we put others through for being different in some way often causes individuals to feel that they have no other choice and they don't want to be a burden. Such people really can't win, at least until we find a cure for mental illness.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:29 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
I think people who commit suicide in such a gruesome, "look at me", manner are just exhibiting that they are so consumed by themselves that they crave attention up to the very end.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:33 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I think people who commit suicide in such a gruesome, "look at me", manner are just exhibiting that they are so consumed by themselves that they crave attention up to the very end.
I don't think so. I think many of these people have been thinking about it for awhile & an opportunity comes up & they just do it. I remember one morning I was driving on one of our bridges here & there were some cop cars on the highest point of the bridge...immediate thought was "there's a jumper" & it was true. I don't really think of people who kill themselves as "selfish", I think of them as very disturbed. I actually feel bad for them. I of course feel bad for their family & friends as well. One of my friends in college killed himself & that was just a horrid time to go thru but not at any point during or after that did I think "well, he was just SELFISH!"

Old 03-14-2010, 05:36 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
I did not use the the word selfish but I will say that they are self consumed and oblivious to the fact that they place others in danger.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I did not use the the word selfish but I will say that they are self consumed and oblivious to the fact that they place others in danger.
Especially if the train derails...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies