Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:36 AM

301 posts, read 283,061 times

Advertisements

From my observations, sometimes it appears that the quality of some people's day who post on CD is dependent upon their perception that they made *winning* posts regarding political issues.....the gotcha factor. Is that the objective of posting on a political forum? *Winning* shots? lol My guess is that very likely this thread will not be allowed to stand, and I may be completely banned, but I decided to take that chance because it seems to me that that sort of attitude may be a glimpse into the horrific polarization in politics in this country. How deeply *attached* are people to winning a political argument rather than solving a problem? I KNOW that's what's going on with politicians. The question is, is that what has happened to everyday *folks* out there, and could the Internet have played any role in that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
There is a difference between what you call "winning" and setting the record straight from misleading posts and downright falsehoods.

Posts that contain those elements should always be corrected, especially if one cares about the subject .

Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
there are some people that get most of their validation from posting on CDF. curse of the virtual reality junky. reality is not much fun, that is why they are here. far more listen to them here than in real life.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 03-12-2010 at 08:49 AM..

Old 03-12-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
there are some people that get most of their validation from posting on CDF. curse of the virtual reality junky. reality is not much fun, that is why they are here.
Very well said, Huck. Very well said indeed. IMO. And I think *validation* was the word I was looking for.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:46 AM

I would agree with the validation part, especially those posters who are very prolific...like over 30+ posts a day.

Funny how we don't hear the same criticism on posters with over 30+ posts a day.

Double standard maybe?

Old 03-12-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I would agree with the validation part, especially those posters who are very prolific...like over 30+ posts a day.
And how about responses like *you got owned*? Do you think that there is an element of competition in those types of political conversations which would indicate a interest in validation? IMO, 20 posts a day is very prolific, considering this is ONLY ONE politica Internet forum.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworking View Post
And how about responses like *you got owned*? Do you think that there is an element of competition in those types of political conversations which would indicate a interest in validation? IMO, 20 posts a day is very prolific, considering this is ONLY ONE politica Internet forum.
There are many political forums on the internet. If 20 is prolific, what must 30+ be? I'd say THAT poster of 30+ posts sure gets a lot of validation.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Funny how we don't hear the same criticism on posters with over 30+ posts a day.

Double standard maybe?
Ah, you added more to your post while I was answering the original. I'd think anything above 20 posts a day is *very prolific*........so OF COURSE 30+ posts a day would be included. Sorry. I thought most people would understand that. Perhaps I should have made it clearer.....20+ posts a day.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
There are many political forums on the internet. If 20 is prolific, what must 30+ be? I'd say THAT poster of 30+ posts sure gets a lot of validation.
As does the 20+ posts per day person. Unfortunately, my average is 4.16posts per day. But back to the topic if *WINNING* posts. One could make 20+ or 30+ posts per day and never perceive any positive feedback, so would the Quality of that person's day be affected do you think? I'm talking about the goal of a political post being to *win* at all costs, regardless of the spin, questionable sources, etc., could that be the major reason for discussing politics on an Internet political board......having your opinions be validated or is the goal to learn something and maybe come up with solutions and compromise to solve problems?

Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 AM

Yet, there is criticism for the 20-poster, but not for the 30+poster?

If not, then it comes down to ideological differences.

But really, this is what the PoC forum is all about. Political discussion/discourse, debating the topics/issues of the day, proving points with facts and evidence, arguing the points.

What's to complain about...unless one is on the losing side of the argument most times?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies