Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:04 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It will actually do the exact opposite.

Most small businesses that employ the majority of citizens, do not provide healthcare to their employees now. That is how they keep cost down to their customers, with less overhead.

Now the government steps in and says, it will be mandatory you as an employer, provide healthcare benefits to all your employees.

That is going to do 1, of 3 things to your business.

1.) The cost of everything will skyrocket. You think tripling the cost of things is bad.... Wait and see!

2.) You will see all employees, mislabeled as subcontract labor, to skate the new law.

3.) To stay competitive, the additional cost involved with employees, will hinder hiring.

But your an employee and would never understand the price of doing business, especially if your a government employee.
4.) The private sector has always provided sexier nurses than government institutions.

Last edited by ergohead; 03-14-2010 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 12:13 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

Oh yes because private health insurance companies don't get between people and their doctor...
People can switch insurance companies and/or specific insurance plans if they don't like the limitations imposed. They can't switch governments without surrendering citizenship and moving out of the country.

Quote:
Please provide proof for the part in bold.
Everything listed under...

AGENCY FOR HEALTHCARE RESEARCH AND QUALITY
HEALTHCARE RESEARCH AND QUALITY
(INCLUDING TRANSFER OF FUNDS)

Starting on page 62
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...:h1enr.txt.pdf

And...

PURPOSE.—The National Coordinator shall perform the duties under subsection (c) in a manner consistent with the development of a nationwide health information
technology infrastructure that allows for the electronic use and exchange of information and that—
...(3) reduces health care costs resulting from inefficiency, medical errors, inappropriate care, duplicative care, and incomplete information

'inappropriate care' is not defined.

page 116
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...:h1enr.txt.pdf

Old 03-14-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
No, of course not. Go back through our post-exchange, you maybe got confused. (sounds like a song lyric )
If it's government subsidized, and you admit it is, it's not free market.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Id love to see the stats for that, got em there right handy?
Instead of seeming to be so uninformed by constantly having to ask others to provide info, why don't you post evidence to back your blindly held opinions?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Id love to see the stats for that, got em there right handy?

Im putting my chips on, most people who work for companies that dont offer insurance or whose plans are too expensive for those employees to afford rely on the emergency room and whatever fed or state-funded care assistance.
Care to provide your stats?

I am not covered by an employer and have not been for 15+ yrs. Yet, I have been insured, self-insured, at a much lower cost than "Obamacare" will allow me. I pay what is not covered by my high deductible plan out of pocket.

I know many people who are self-employed or work, basically as private contractors, farm workers, etc..., who do the same.

Your stats?

Maybe you are referring to the millions of illegal aliens who use emergency rooms and do not pay out of pocket for their care but instead stick it to the US taxpayer? Maybe you are refering to those who fail to take personal responsibility to pay for their healthcare because they know the nanny state of taxpayers will eventually foot the bill? Is that the population to whom you refer?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:43 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If it's government subsidized, and you admit it is, it's not free market.
In my first post to you I said that the health insurance exchange is the meaning of free market. You had said something...to which that was relevant.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:44 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,019,000 times
So how's unemployement in Mass? or Maine? Vermont, Tennessee. How many jobs did their healthcare reform efforts create? I've said it before, I'll say it again. This bill takes some of the worst ideas tried at the state level, and shown to be failures, and attempts to implement them on the national level. It's pure folly, and a trillion dollar disaster.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:45 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Another false arguement based upon faulty assumptions.

Just because an employer doesn't provide insurance doesn't mean that an employee is "un-insured".

Just because a person does not purchase a product, in this case health insurance, does not mean they fail to pay their health bills out of pocket, through cultural community co-ops, etc....

Just because the government forces the purchase of a product, again health insurance, it doesn't mean that taxes and medical bill will be lower. In fact, we can expect taxes to be higher, care to be rationed, medical devices to be additionally taxed, etc... .

Higher taxes, further government regulations and burdens upon business, historically have a negative effect on employment and commerce in general.
...and if I'm not mistaken, the penalties for not providing healthcare to employees is lower then the costs if they provided it. I also think the fines imposed on citizens for not buying health insurance are lower then the costs of buying it.

If these are all correct, then its cheaper for everyone if no one buys any health care, and we just wait until we get sick, then apply for health care insurance until we get well again, and cancel the insurance. Rinse - repeat

Old 03-14-2010, 03:31 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Care to provide your stats?

I am not covered by an employer and have not been for 15+ yrs. Yet, I have been insured, self-insured, at a much lower cost than "Obamacare" will allow me. I pay what is not covered by my high deductible plan out of pocket.

I know many people who are self-employed or work, basically as private contractors, farm workers, etc..., who do the same.

Your stats?

Maybe you are referring to the millions of illegal aliens who use emergency rooms and do not pay out of pocket for their care but instead stick it to the US taxpayer? Maybe you are refering to those who fail to take personal responsibility to pay for their healthcare because they know the nanny state of taxpayers will eventually foot the bill? Is that the population to whom you refer?
I didnt ask for your personal details, I asked if you had stats, statistics, to which you might link for our edification, to back this up:
Quote:
Just because an employer doesn't provide insurance doesn't mean that an employee is "un-insured".
If it's just your opinion based on your own personal experience, ya coulda just said so.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:43 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
The Health Care Bill would include a single payer plan... the govt... which is the main objective of the Bill.
And who will fund this healthcare bill? Citizens and businesses who pays taxes. The increase in taxes for businesses will likely offset any potential cost-savings from not having to pay the direct healthcare costs of employees. I often wonder why folks think that government money just grows on trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies