Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,721,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
Hey.
You need to direct the rah rah critique to some of your fellow citizens here, who operate under the misapprehension that we're in the 1950's.

I'm stirring the barrel here.

You seem to be an enlightened American and yes, you're correct it is more important to focus on why other regions are improving and try copy/adapt
what they're doing.

I fear for your country and the effect of the dark ages (2000-2008).
Not least in terms of learning/awareness of the greater world.
You only have to look that the content of posts of certain posters to realise that in many ways the USA has reached the bottom of the barrel.

Thank you for bequeathing me with your label of "enlightened American". There might have been a time when I would wear that as a badge of honor from a real, live, European! But, then I saw a football match in person and realized the sad truth that moron knows no political boundary.

Judging by the profoundly brutal and often backwards history of Europe, I'm also not sure one should be offering such charges of bottoms of barrels without at least acknowledging the 3 fingers pointing back across the pond. A couple of those fingers need not point any further than the 20th century to start scraping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 08:29 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,003,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
That janitorship looks pretty sweet in retrospect,eh?
Hilarious!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:29 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,041,166 times
Quote:
Frank mate, those of here in the EU refer to the EU as Europe. Maybe I should have been clearer in my earlier post and expressed the term EU as opposed to Europe.
It would be most helpful if you made that distinction.

Quote:
How much further ahead would Europe be if I was to include those additional countries.
It would probably be set back, but you didn't hear it from me.

Quote:
The methodology isn't going down to well, I see.
Tough ain't it?
Actually, I was thinking Asian universities traditionally restricted foreign students from studying at their schools. Only in recent years have prominent Asian universities begun opening their doors to more international students. In contrast, schools in the UK such as Oxford have been huge on attracting students from around the globe, as have Ivy League schools in the US.

In case you have not figured it out, I always question statistics because it is so easy to manipulate them. Still, the US dominates the top tier, which is just fine with me regardless of the methodology used in gathering the list.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:30 PM

529 posts, read 1,302,110 times
Glad to see my alma mater in the top 10.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,634,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Whoops! 65% of the top 20 are from the US? Ouch!
Start a thread with a top 20 universities in the world then.

The rest of us will continue to discuss the top 100 world universities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
They haven't, its just his way of excusing the fact that Europe is inferior to the US, in virtually every way. He likes to lump the 50 against 1 to try and make it look like a competition. Epic fail.
I don't lump anything together.

The EU is an entity.
As I said earlier, we can discuss the relative merits when you accept this reality.

Have you got over your Palin infatuation btw?

God Bless Europe.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:35 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,036,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
In case you have not figured it out, I always question statistics because it is so easy to manipulate them. Still, the US dominates the top tier, which is just fine with me regardless of the methodology used in gathering the list.
American universities do tend to dominate the global rankings. I attended a European Uni (study abroad) and completed undergraduate and graduate degrees at 2 American Unis (both top 20 in all surveys). I completed a second graduate degree at a top Australian uni. I can tell people that American Unis funding and endowments, at least the top tier schools, is a point of envy overseas.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,634,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
That janitorship looks pretty sweet in retrospect,eh?
Repartee.
Did you think that one up, all by yourself?

Chemical Engineering was the place offered.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,003,719 times
So...the US has 32% of the top 100.

65% of the top 20.

Out of 21 countries.

Thanks for the link OP - just proves what a truly great nation she is.

Btw; That's called domination.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,721,951 times
So, two more observations before I bow out of this adolescent lockerroom measuring contest..

1. I thought Europeans stopped believing in God, leaving such provincial phrases as "God bless <insert country>" to we backward folk of the prairie.

2. You want us to acknowledge that we're not in the 1950s anymore, and yet have you spent any time in the US since the 1950s? Aside from some fringe extremists who are blinded by patriotism, there's a pretty universal acknowledgment that we're tracking the same path the British did before us. Doesn't mean we're necessarily failing or that our universities are lacking.

If you want to attack the US, go after primary and secondary education, not the university system. That remains, on the whole, the best in the world. You won't find public education at that level so consistently strong across so many universities anywhere in the world. They all may not show up in rankings, but it's a solid higher education system overall.

3. Perhaps worst of all, you've forced me to almost agree with Sanrene!!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:43 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,643,570 times
Quote:
Chemical Engineering was the place offered.
mixing toilet sanitizer is your concept of chem. e.?
how odd. whatever helps you feel better about yourself, i guess.

say, i notice you haven't frequented that palin thread that you slunk away from in utter humiliation. may i inquire as to why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies