Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:28 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,139,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Without question, fiscal reform.

I want to see someone with the balls to stand up to the growing entitlement population in America today and tell them no more. It's time to hit the reset button on our country.
Would that apply to 2.2 trillion dollar entitlement to Wall Street. Or did that save your backside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 03:29 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Democrats are obviously excited about health care legislation, and Republicans are obviously not happy. When Republicans have control again, what would be highest on your wish list for major reform?

Try to name something other than, "The repeal of health care reform."

I would like the government to hold themselves to the same standard that they hold us, no deficit spending, balanced budgets, term limits, merit based education system, and a beginning of the reemergence of states rights.

I would like to see immigration (illegal) laws enforced. I would like to see real health care reform, and the global warming scam finally put to rest.

I would like to see the political system reformed to kill our 2 party system (never happen but one can dream).

Old 03-20-2010, 03:33 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,735 times
[quote=odinloki1;13374525]I'm not expecting the government to provide for needs, I'm expecting the government to make success attainable, because the private sector is inept at doing so except for their own elites.[quote]

Clearly you've bought into the theory that no matter how much hard work and determination you put forth, you will never get ahead in America unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth. I don't know anyone who started out "rich." I know a lot of people who are doing just fine (if not great) for themselves. Would I love not to have to have a monthly budget and buy what I want when I want it? Sure! But my husband and I have worked hard, done some cruddy jobs while keeping our eyes on the prize and have emerged as successful, happy citizens through no help from the government or a "Rich Uncle".

It's sad to me that you think you can't get ahead by working hard. I am trying to raise kids and show them that your life is usually a direct result of the choices you make. I was raised that way and am living proof that you can succeed and do well for yourself by keeping your eyes on the prize. In America, you have the opportunity to get back up, brush yourself off, and change your life when it's not working for you. I did some stupid stuff when I was younger...who didn't? The difference is that AFTER I maxed out my credit cards in college and AFTER I spent every dime of my paycheck without putting anything away for a rainy day, I finally woke up and made some changes. It took me 9 years to get to the place I am now but it was worth it. The government would be more than happy to let me blame someone else for my mistakes...to tell me that it wasn't the dumb purchases I made until I reached my credit card limits, but the evil credit card companies that raised their rates. The government would be more than happy to employ me in a government job where I could put in exactly 40 hours per week and not one second more, collect a hefty retirement pay and earn 12 hours of vacation a month. I would rather work for a company where my doing a good job is rewarded instead of watching people with more seniority continue to do nothing while being paid better than me. The government isn't your friend and has never given anyone who works for it a reason to work harder than they're required to.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:44 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
pgh said it was "the most ignorant post" he had ever read on CD. Nice way to get around the TOS. If he had said I am ingnorant, it would be a personal attack. (If you can't figure out what made me angry). pgh is constantly insulting people in that way.

I wasn't referring to medical schools. pgh was talking about community college, for Pete's sake! That's not where you get a medical degree.

Good for the Cleveland Clinic med school. Most med students borrow most or all of their tuition and living expense money. Isn't that what we are constantly reading in these threads? Docs graduating with $150K in debt?

Good for this "friend of my daughter's". I'd bet her experience is not verifiable. I always laugh when I hear about these "full-ride scholarships" that other people get, especially the athletic scholarships at D-3 schools that don't give out sports scholarships.

You are aware that there are foundations for every sport imaginable (not just NCAA/NAIA) that promote/administer scholarships aren't you? All scholarships do not originate at the schools.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So you are opposed to scholarships, student loans, etc? How is someone supposed to support him/herself in school w/o these programs if the family can't afford to?
could you show me one place where I said I was opposed to any of the above? My granddaughter and her husband would have been in a mess if they hadn't depended on student loans and our other granddaughter was lucky to get almost a free ride because of her GPA and sat scores. I am opposed to anyone thinking they deserve a handout, just because. How in the world did you ever get, from what I said I was opposed to student loans? I am not opposed to anyone getting government help when they truely need it. There will always be those who are disabled. There are those who lose their jobs and don't have a lot of severance pay coming. They need unemployment just to survive (for a certain period of time) why do you take everything I say and spin it? I can't quite understand it??

Nita

Old 03-20-2010, 04:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I would love for people to make it on their own, and I believe its totally possible for people to achieve some degree of success on their own. However, I disagree that it has to be as hard as possible. Which for many people it is. Example, for many people to return to school, how do they get by in the meantime, what happens to their families, their children, etc. Have you ever worked 40 hours a week and school? How about taking care of a family on top of that?

What if someone gets trained in something that is "in demand" but during the course of their training the market becomes saturated because everyone was trained in the same field, now wages have tanked and its impossible to pay for student loans.

What about people that move across country for work (because they can't get a job nearby) and leave their families behind because companies relocate to where taxes are cheaper?

What if someone gets laid off and gets sick? Lots of blue collar workers in their 50s are getting laid off, by the time they get retrained their in their early 60s. What for them? Can they really compete in the job market?

What if someone gets in a car accident and can no longer do their job?

I know people in many of these situations. I want to see them retrain/be successful/acheive on their own. Providing aid to these people is simply the ethical thing to do. It makes it possible for them to acheive success. They still have enough difficulties and stresses in their lives. Adding more stressors and thinking they'll be that much better off IF they succeed, will only result in more failure and desperation.

That being said, I know some exploiters of the system, the stereotype welfare mom that drives a Cadillac, etc. and they should be stopped/cut off. But honest people that are working hard should never be punished as well.
I am maninly talking about exactly what you are, those who depend on the government from generation to generation or those who choose to have work related disabilities they imagine to be disabilities. We have someone in our own family who is doing this right now. She could be out working, but she is living on disability. In her case her husband, my brother is making enough so her disability is like a second income.

As for working 40 hours a week and going to school: my grandson in law is doing this right now. He finally graduates in December. (actually, I think he is only working 36 hours a week)

Ms welfare mom, I think Octamom was the perfect example. Now, she is about to be evicted and is going to lose her home because she is behind in her morgage.. Many years ago, when I was a teen, I was a summer camp councilor. I can't tell you how many kids were going to camp on full scholarships because mommy was on welfare. When we would return, after a week in the mountains, mommy would pick the kids up in her new car, not always the caddy, but certainly better than my parents were driving and my dad was an engineer. I think this was my first wakeup call about government entitlements and I didn't even know what the word meant.

Nita

Old 03-20-2010, 04:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You are aware that there are foundations for every sport imaginable (not just NCAA/NAIA) that promote/administer scholarships aren't you? All scholarships do not originate at the schools.
Division 3 schools do not give out athletic scholarships. Period. They may give an athlete some other type of scholarship, say, for academic merit even if the student isn't that meritorious, but they are not allowed to give althletic scholarships if they are a member of Division 3.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:25 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I think independants and libertarians should be included in this since we outnumber either liberals or conservatives. Term limits 12 years for congressmen and senators, same 8 years for presidents, 25 years for Supreme Court Justices. Entitlement and social spending reform. Put back every dime borrowed from social security with interest. Cutting foreign aid by 50%, to start. Tax reform. Illegal immigration still needs to be dealt with.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:02 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
first thing I would do.....its an a or b thing

a) get rid of earmarks....or
b) bring back line item veto

and term limits/change terms

change senate to 4 year terms

set limits as follows:
8 terms(16 years) to representitives
4 terms (16 years) to senate
3 terms (12 years) to potus

Old 03-20-2010, 07:08 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
first thing I would do.....its an a or b thing

a) get rid of earmarks....or
b) bring back line item veto

and term limits/change terms

change senate to 4 year terms

set limits as follows:
8 terms(16 years) to representitives
4 terms (16 years) to senate
3 terms (12 years) to potus

term limits is nice, but I would say 1 term for president, 2 terms for senators, 6 terms for representitives and 1 10 year term for all federal and scotus judges.

also, no retirement benefits for any of the above, they dont like it, then quit or dont go for the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies