Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 12:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
So, you're saying if it's not violent it's ok???
Yes, I am.
It's a t-shirt.
Don't like it, don't read it.
I don't happen to read every single t-shirt I come across; I have neither the time nor the interest.

Were you never young?

Old 03-21-2010, 01:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
This is a perfect example of how, ignorance breeds fear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Lewdness by its definition deals with language as well.

I admit the poster you responded to gave a bad example. Action and speech are different, but one can easily be obtain public lewdness by speech alone.

Indecent exposure is the deliberate exposure by a person of a portion or portions of his or her own body under circumstances where such an exposure is likely to be seen as contrary to the local commonly accepted standards of decency

Old 03-21-2010, 01:05 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
What kind of response is this?I hope you are not one of these permissive parents and if my kid was at collage, he wouldn't be caught dead in a t shirt like this, he was raised with a set of values.
I guy a work with and his wife just had a baby...and they have a onesie that reads..."I'm smiling because I'm masturbating!"

Old 03-21-2010, 01:10 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I was working in the Columbus Convention Center and this 19 or 20 year old is walking around with his buddy and in big print his t-shirt says, "F#*%K This PLACE, I'M GOING HOME TO MASTURBATE. " (By,the way, the f word was not blanked out, it was there in all of it's glory) Keep in mind this was about 4 in the afternoon and the place was packed with children. So, I stopped him and said, "I can't believe you're wearing that in public." and he feigned incredulity and said, "So many people are saying that to me" and I responded, " Dude, there's tons of little kids walking around" and he goes, "I didn't have anything else to wear" and I said, "You should take it off" and he said, "I can do that" and just walked away. I immediately walked over to a cop and told him about it, but at that point the punk had gone out of eye sight. SO here's my question; what has happened to decency, respect and civility? Sadly, I'm afaraid many posters are gonna call me prudish and puritanical. I'm saddened by the debasing and coarsening of society.
I'm going to be brutally honest with you .. and hopefully, you might consider being brutally honest with yourself.

I could go on about "words" and how we've become so frightened of everything, we've included "words" as another of our fears, with truth being the greatest victim of the word police.

And, I could ask you what is the real difference between Screw, and F$%# (I'm masking because it likely will be filtered if I don't). Screw could mean the same thing, or it could be just a reference to something used to attach something to something else. Should we eliminate "screw" because of some connotation that has been associated which someone may find distasteful? And if so, what then should we call "a screw" ... should we call it a "cylindrical, threaded piece of metal used to attach something to another"? Given this scenario, we'd complicate the english language to the point that it would take an hour and a half to communicate a single sentence. That is one practical pitfall of being afraid of, and wanting to outlaw certain words. But this is a minor issue, relative to the greater evils of being so easily offended. The greater problem is that for as many people as there are on this earth, you may find just as many definitions and examples of what is distasteful, vulgar, or inappropriate. Was it the "words" that you found so offensive, or was it the message? Given that words are just the way we express a message, it must have been the message. Your complaint was based on the idea that it was vulgarity, and inappropriate. And though many, including myself might agree, that is not the larger point here. Some may find any number of "messages" inappropriate .. and not necessarily based on vulgarity. Maybe political .... or politically incorrect?

So, you decided that you had the right to order this kid to strip in public, because YOU didn't like what he was wearing? And when he refused to comply with your self assigned authority, you decided to enlist the assistance of police? Personally, I think the kid demonstrated a reasonable level of politeness by claiming he had nothing else to wear, rather than telling you to F-Off, (if we're going to be brutally honest here).

I would ask you, who died and left you in charge? And what did you expect the cop to do ... order the kid to take off the shirt, and if he didn't comply, arrest him ... take him to jail .. and subject him to potential harm from other .. real criminals that might be there for more "serious" offenses? All because you were "offended" by his tee-shirt?

Your actions say a great deal more about you than the tee shirt says about this kid that you have no knowledge of ... yet labeled a "punk", with your self-righteousness being far more dangerous. Not only did you take it upon yourself to be the decency police regarding this kid THAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW .. but you attempted to sick the real police on him too, as well as taking it upon yourself to it to unilaterally decide what was appropriate for all of the other children that were nearby. Aside from the basic inappropriateness of your actions, your behavior probably did more to attract the attention of those children to that tee shirt than did the shirt itself.

Yes, our society has become crass and leaning towards way too much vulgarity. But it's a symptom of an even greater set of problems, with far more dangerous consequences.

The TV is a constant stream of bad news, violence, murder, war, and criminality ... much of it at perpetrated by our vaulted leaders. But let Janet Jackson's tit pop out at the super bowl, and everyone is up in arms.

We can be lied into a war that results in a million deaths, with hundreds of thousands of women and children in the mix ... and not much of a peep is made of it, yet you'd have a kid arrested for wearing a tee shirt that said "F$%^ It?

I'd say you are in need of a little less judgement of others, and a little more self evaluation. Then maybe you might discover that those 19 year olds are not the problem with our society ... they were born into a very F$%^ Up one, and the responsibility for it rests in the idiots who allowed it to get that way before they were born.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Indecency is illegal. Wearing a t-shirt with offensive words is not.
The funny thing about that is that it may be illegal one day soon. People have a way of screwing themselves by not being able to self regulate. There are lot's of examples where laws were made only after people sunk to a new lows that nobody ever thought people would sink to before. We never disappoint in that regard.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:13 PM

There's a couple of other infant onesies that read:

I ripped mommy a new one.
I ate my twin.
80 more years of this s*&t ???
F!#k the milk...where's the whiskey t!ts???

There's plenty more...

T-Shirt Hell: t-shirts, shirts, funny t-shirts, funny shirts, baby shirts

"where all the bad t-shirts go!"

Old 03-21-2010, 01:13 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
What is funny is how there are those individuals that see the young man standing there with a tee shirt on.

While others see him there with his unit in his hand screaming and hollering, fixing to blow a load.

Some live in reality, and some live in ignorant fantasy.

It is evident where you stand.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:16 PM

...but, just don't stand in front of him!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:17 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I was working in the Columbus Convention Center and this 19 or 20 year old is walking around with his buddy and in big print his t-shirt says, "F#*%K This PLACE, I'M GOING HOME TO MASTURBATE. " (By,the way, the f word was not blanked out, it was there in all of it's glory) Keep in mind this was about 4 in the afternoon and the place was packed with children. So, I stopped him and said, "I can't believe you're wearing that in public." and he feigned incredulity and said, "So many people are saying that to me" and I responded, " Dude, there's tons of little kids walking around" and he goes, "I didn't have anything else to wear" and I said, "You should take it off" and he said, "I can do that" and just walked away. I immediately walked over to a cop and told him about it, but at that point the punk had gone out of eye sight. SO here's my question; what has happened to decency, respect and civility? Sadly, I'm afaraid many posters are gonna call me prudish and puritanical. I'm saddened by the debasing and coarsening of society.
These people voted for President Zero because he promised more of the same.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:11 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yes, I am.
It's a t-shirt.
Don't like it, don't read it.
I don't happen to read every single t-shirt I come across; I have neither the time nor the interest.

Were you never young?
You admit that you probably would have worn this shirt in college yet you also try to come off as a person who goes out of their way to not read shirts.

Something doesn't add up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies