Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:52 AM

563 posts, read 519,587 times

Advertisements

They are better off taxing Sodas and Candies. It may help get America Fit as they stop purchasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 12:26 PM

31 posts, read 19,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
He has pushed a healthcare bill that will quickly implement a 10% tax on people for TANNING. Lets just stop and think for a second. Who tans? WHITE PEOPLE. Why not tax something more diverse? Like soda or candy? Because Obama is racist!
White people tan, but so do Mexicans, Philipinos and pretty much everyone else, including HALF-BLACK people like Obama.

Tanning is a moronic luxury that should be taxed. I live minutes from one of America's sunniest beaches, and there are literally dozens of tanning salons within a couple of miles of me.

If there's anyone in this country we should tax, it's morons who waste money on tanning...

Old 03-22-2010, 12:26 PM

2,362 posts, read 3,001,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
He's just sticking it to John Boehner, that's all.
I was just going to post that. +1 to you.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,599,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I'm white and I think it sucks!!! I think a soda and/or candy tax would not only bring in more money, but it would be more likely to be paid by all.
I would eat a hershey's bar in a tanning booth but I would go broke and my candy would melt...

Old 03-22-2010, 12:30 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,666,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTroyMcClure View Post
White people tan, but so do Mexicans, Philipinos and pretty much everyone else, including HALF-BLACK people like Obama.

Tanning is a moronic luxury that should be taxed. I live minutes from one of America's sunniest beaches, and there are literally dozens of tanning salons within a couple of miles of me.

If there's anyone in this country we should tax, it's morons who waste money on tanning...
I went through my mother and grandmother getting skin cancer....so no thanks to tanning beds OR being out in the sun for long periods of time. I get plenty of Vitamin D, but I'm pale as all get out. Of course, I also have quite a few tattoos and keeping your skin healthy is part of maintaining colors in your tattoos. The more sun you get, the more the colors fade and bleed.

I also live right on the beach and pass quite a few tanning places on my way to work...it's ridiculous that people think tanning indoors is somehow healthier than tanning outdoors.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:15 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,178,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I get plenty of Vitamin D, but I'm pale as all get out. Of course, I also have quite a few tattoos and keeping your skin healthy is part of maintaining colors in your tattoos. The more sun you get, the more the colors fade and bleed.
You might think that you are getting plenty of Vitamin D, but I doubt that you are. If you spend 20 minutes in the sun, your body produces approximately 50,000 International Units (IU). Most Vitamin D tablets in this country are sold in 400 IU potencies. You would have to be taking the equivalent of more than 100 of them per day to equal the same amount of Vitamin D.

If you think you are getting sufficient Vitamin D from drinking dairy products, remember that there is only 22 IU in one liter of WHOLE milk. Skim milk is almost totally absent of this vitamin because it is found in the milk fat, so if you are drinking low fat or skim milk you can bet that you are getting practically ZERO. Even so, at 22 IU per liter (whole milk), (or 88.16 IU per GALLON), you would have to be drinking the equivalent of 567 gallons of whole milk per day to get the same amount of Vitamin D that you would receive in 20 minutes of full sunlight.

So I am thinking that probably you are NOT getting "plenty of Vitamin D", and neither is anyone else who does not go outside in the sunshine. Which is one reason (of many) that the cancer rates are approaching 50% in this country.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 PM

921 posts, read 1,133,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Racists don't like anything that President Obama does, which makes their claims irrelevant.

President Obama is getting it done...and don't you forget it either.
I agree.

Anything Obama does, the racists will throw the race factor in.
They still can't get over the fact that we have a President who is not 100% white.

It's time to move ahead.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:23 PM

79 posts, read 74,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
My original post is just as reasonable and logical as 99% of liberal posts that play the race card. Just trying to fit in around here.
Why does the "Race Card" bother you so much? Why do you care?

Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 PM

412 posts, read 405,539 times
Please tell me this is some sort of joke. There aren't really people stupid enough to believe this, right? (*sigh* of course there are, even if the guy is joking...)

Old 03-22-2010, 02:27 PM

37,971 posts, read 17,921,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Obesity and type 2 diabetes kill people too, so why not tax sugar?
or high fructose corn syrup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies