Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 10:13 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,059,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
All the bums you see on the street, they now can claim to have alcohol addictions, drug addictions, mental disorders (wait, many do!), you name it, FREE.

Even affluent people, usually drug addicted musicians who have destroyed their liver as a result of their drug intake, or alcohol... FREE.

Morbidly obese people who won't stop stuffing their face, who cause their arteries to clog, and have heart attacks, bad hips and knees because of their weight... heart surgery, FREE.

The reason I say free is that those of us who are gainfully employed will have to not only pay for part of the same service, but also pay for those who are going to get it subsidized, courtesy of the government, so people with no income, who already live off the government will get it subsidized, or FREE.

As you said, nothing is free. The US Government does not produce anything you can go into Lowes and purchase. They employ hundreds of thousands, give them yearly raises, etc., but the US government does not make money... they take it. So the reason this health care legistlation is bad is because they are going to tax us even more.
What about the thin people who have clogged arteries, heart attacks, bad knees etc?
What about a baby who is born with a heart problem?
What about young girl with cancer or a life threatening disease?
What about a mother who was hit by a drunk driver and needs multiple surgeries?

We already are paying for illegals, people with no income, etc etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 10:22 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,534,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This list is why most people should not be involved in politics. I suspect the poster (who no doubt picked it up from some propaganda email or some such) believes every word.

I won't correct the whole thing, but one glaring error is that this bill does not add "trillions upon trillions" of debt. It reduces the deficit by about $130 billion over 10 years.

Nice try, though.
bluefly...

I agree that the garbage that person posted was just that....BUT

this bill reduces a 1.7trillion dollar deficit by 130 billion over 10 years...thats only 13 billion dollars a year....on a 1.7 trillion dollar defit on a 4.1 trillion dollar budget

and thats only on the senate bill,,,not the reconstiliation bill

Old 03-22-2010, 02:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,178,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Yet, you probably own auto insurance because the law requires you to do so.

I just don't see the source of outrage on this one.

- And the OP made a horrible mistake by listing it as "free". Just opens the door for all the misnomers that this is some universal health care program. It's not - at all.
I choose to drive an automobile, therefore I am bound by the law to purchase insurance for it. Ultimately the choice is mine to make. On the other hand, I do not have a choice to purchase health insurance or not. Therefore it is wrong. Personally, because I do not go to conventional medical (allopathic) doctors, you cannot even use the argument that I might "need it someday". Because I will never need it, nor use it. SO I am screwed no matter how you look at it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-22-2010, 02:09 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,901,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I choose to drive an automobile, therefore I am bound by the law to purchase insurance for it. Ultimately the choice is mine to make. On the other hand, I do not have a choice to purchase health insurance or not. Therefore it is wrong. Personally, because I do not go to conventional medical (allopathic) doctors, you cannot even use the argument that I might "need it someday". Because I will never need it, nor use it. SO I am screwed no matter how you look at it.

20yrsinBranson
Do you agree with paying for police, fire and even the military? These are paid with taxes and you pay it no matter if you need/want them or not.

Fire = in case of fire
Police = in case of crime and/or incident
Military = in case of national interest being threatened domestically or abroad

Are these not insurance as well?

Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 PM

130 posts, read 497,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
Do you agree with paying for police, fire and even the military? These are paid with taxes and you pay it no matter if you need/want them or not.

Fire = in case of fire
Police = in case of crime and/or incident
Military = in case of national interest being threatened domestically or abroad

Are these not insurance as well?
right on..and what about school taxes even when no kids?

Old 03-22-2010, 02:26 PM

79 posts, read 74,250 times
People pretend to be angry but I know that most people on this forum do not make over 250k per year so their rage is fake and based on other reasons. Unless you make over 250K per year this so called tax is all in your mind.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:29 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,729,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
All the bums you see on the street, they now can claim to have alcohol addictions, drug addictions, mental disorders (wait, many do!), you name it, FREE.

Even affluent people, usually drug addicted musicians who have destroyed their liver as a result of their drug intake, or alcohol... FREE.

Morbidly obese people who won't stop stuffing their face, who cause their arteries to clog, and have heart attacks, bad hips and knees because of their weight... heart surgery, FREE.

The reason I say free is that those of us who are gainfully employed will have to not only pay for part of the same service, but also pay for those who are going to get it subsidized, courtesy of the government, so people with no income, who already live off the government will get it subsidized, or FREE.

As you said, nothing is free. The US Government does not produce anything you can go into Lowes and purchase. They employ hundreds of thousands, give them yearly raises, etc., but the US government does not make money... they take it. So the reason this health care legistlation is bad is because they are going to tax us even more.
Ok, I get where you're going with the homeless. However, I don't get how someone who is affluent/working is getting "free" healthcare at your expense. They have to pay for it too.

You're also assuming that morbidly obese people don't work.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:33 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,864,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Are you forced to drive? So are you "forced" to buy auto insurance?
By your measure, why should government force me to anything? I should be free to drive if I wish. Why can't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I choose to drive an automobile, therefore I am bound by the law to purchase insurance for it.
And why should there be this law?

Old 03-22-2010, 02:34 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,534,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea2010 View Post
No parties please.

Can you just put down the reasons as to why it is a bad thing for the American people to have free health coverage? I know nothing is 4 free, but you know what I mean.
Take a look at your most recent paystub... specifically the Federal Tax deductions part. If you're like most hard-working middle income Americans, you'll see 3 separate lines (with associated amounts that relect a percentage of your income. These percentages generally increase each year, independent of the actual income):

Federal Withholding - which is a tax on your income;
Federal Med - which is a tax to pay for Medicare/Medicaid;
Federal OASD - which is a tax you pay for Social Security.

Sometime in the near future, look for a fourth line:

Federal Healthcare - which will be the tax you'll be paying for the healthcare for the 32 million Americans that did not have health insurance as of yesterday. (Note that this will be in addition to the amount your employer currently deducts for the healthcare that you currently do receive.)

Please be aware that all future generations will pay these taxes up until the point where future Federal Government officials allow the healthcare program to implode, like Social Security and Medicare. Remember, we are talking about the Federal Government here...and they have an established track record with these kind of programs.

Like the boxes of cereal that inch smaller and smaller and the price stays the same - or even slightly increases - you'll be paying more for what you currently get, when it comes to healthcare. That is, unless you're one of the lucky ones that already gets your cereal for free.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:35 PM

634 posts, read 1,560,379 times
This is good for employers and employees. It is good for single people and young families. This is not good for the insurnace carriers who have been raising rates, denying coverage and reporting RECORD PROFITS!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies