Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:03 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
Do you agree with paying for police, fire and even the military? These are paid with taxes and you pay it no matter if you need/want them or not.

Fire = in case of fire
Police = in case of crime and/or incident
Military = in case of national interest being threatened domestically or abroad

Are these not insurance as well?
That's a good one. Where I live you are lucky if you even see an emergency service person an hour after you call - even if your house is on fire. LOL Anyway, I could do perfectly fine without them. I suppose that I pay them when I pay my property taxes, but if I did not like it, I could move somewhere else. So again, it is a question of choice. With nationalized, socialized health care, there is no choice involved.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 03:04 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,688,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea2010 View Post
No parties please.

Can you just put down the reasons as to why it is a bad thing for the American people to have free health coverage? I know nothing is 4 free, but you know what I mean.
No, I don't know what you mean. If nothing is "free" then what do you mean?

Old 03-22-2010, 03:46 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,717,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
bluefly...

I agree that the garbage that person posted was just that....BUT

this bill reduces a 1.7trillion dollar deficit by 130 billion over 10 years...thats only 13 billion dollars a year....on a 1.7 trillion dollar defit on a 4.1 trillion dollar budget

and thats only on the senate bill,,,not the reconstiliation bill
The indiividual claimed the bill added trillions upon trillions to the debt. I was simply pointing out that s/he was wrong.

I'd say any bill that moves our health care closer to providing for all AND reduces the deficit (even if only by a hundred bucks) is a win-win.

I'm not a fan of the mandatory coverage aspect either, but overall it's a move in the right direction.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:53 PM

380 posts, read 643,137 times
Quote:
No parties please.

Can you just put down the reasons as to why it is a bad thing for the American people to have free health coverage? I know nothing is 4 free, but you know what I mean.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:03 PM

268 posts, read 454,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
This is good for employers and employees. It is good for single people and young families. This is not good for the insurnace carriers who have been raising rates, denying coverage and reporting RECORD PROFITS!!!!
You realize insurance companies aren't getting less business, they'll be getting more, right?

I always find it amusing when people say insurance companies are part of some conspiracy propaganda united against obamacare. These companies are going to profit. Now more than ever. If you owned a health insurance company, which side would you be on?

Old 03-22-2010, 04:03 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,434,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
By your measure, why should government force me to anything? I should be free to drive if I wish. Why can't I?

And why should there be this law?
Really? Are you really asking not getting this?

I'll try to make it as simple to understand and use small words for you....you ARE free to drive if you wish. If you want to, there are rules that you must follow. But you don't have to buy insurance, because you don't HAVE to drive. You can take the bus. You can ride your bike. You can sit on your butt. If you want a car, you must get auto insurance in case you hit someone. It's for THAT person and the bank financing your car. It's not for you.

The only comparison between auto insurance and health insurance is the word "insurance". If you're not bright enough to see they're entirely different, I've just wasted the last two minutes of my time, as you'll never understand anything.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,035,808 times
Quote:
No parties please.

This bill does not provide free healthcare for Americans. From my understanding, we all will have to purchase insurance and only those on the lower end of the payscale will have a discount due to government subsidy. I'm still out to lunch on the ObamaCare plan but it appeals to me more than a universal healthcare type situation.

Regarding the notion of "free health care," it does not exist as we ALL would wind up paying with higher taxes in a universal type health care system. Even those who do not pay income taxes would wind up paying more for products as prices would have to be raised to account for the higher taxes that would be charged to businesses.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,035,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Free for the people who don't work for it maybe, but anyone that has a job won't equate "health care" with "free".

Besides, whats ANOTHER trillion dollars on the deficit anyway?
Even those who do not work will see their cost of living expenses rise as businesses will try to recoup the cost of additional taxes by raising the cost of merchandise. Nothing is free.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:07 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,865,272 times
DISASTERS IN OBAMACARE

Old 03-22-2010, 06:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,412,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
No, I don't know what you mean. As you said, nothing is free. Health coverage will not be free. So please, explain what you mean.
You limit the amount of loss, by paying a large sum up front, to prevent a larger sum at the end of the month.

Works for credit card interest that is to high.

Healthcare costs are rising faster than the rate of inflation. If not controlled, they would consume up to 50% of our GDP in less than 10 years. What the current bill does, is control the long term costs, by paying some now, so you pay less later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies