Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:46 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I decided to pick just three of Obama's broken promises that could have meant a lot to me and others and would have helped clean up DC if he had followed through.

I know that the die-hard partisan spinmasters will do their best to discredit, spin and make excuses but I would post this for any President, Republican, Democrat, Independent, etc.. that would be so bold to make these promises and then completely fail in carrying through with them.
What you posted were some things that I just knew had the least chance of actually happening. At the least, I could appreciate Obama's optimism (or you could say naivete) while campaigning about "changing the way Washington works," but in reality, they were just a bit unrealistic. The culture of Washington is fixed. It's a sad reality, and I have no idea what it will really take to change it because simply voting for the other guy or gal with a different letter behind his/her name certainly won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 08:47 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I voted for Obama, not because I believed he was actually going to be able to carry out every single that he said he would (he's a politician, come on), but because he was the lesser of two evils. I'm independent and have voted for members of both parties, and the last thing I expect of them is perfection. So no, I wasn't "bamboozled" because I know how politics works.
Not all Obama supporters were bamboozled. Sure, some saw through the lies and BS but, such as yourself, voted for him anyways because they saw him as the lesser of evils.

I have to agree with soccersupporter though. Had he actually kept some of those promises ie., limiting special interest influence over washington, he would have the support of many more indies and even some conservatives too. He makes it too easy to hate his politics.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Not all Obama supporters were bamboozled. Sure, some saw through the lies and BS but, such as yourself, voted for him anyways because they saw him as the lesser of evils.

I have to agree with soccersupporter though. Had he actually kept some of those promises ie., limiting special interest influence over washington, he would have the support of many more indies and even some conservatives too. He makes it too easy to hate his politics.
Special interests rule the day. They've got politicians of all stripes in their pockets and they're certainly not going away, especially with the recent Supreme Court decision. It's just one of the big bad things we have to deal with living in a large, capitalist, democratic republic such as ours.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:01 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Every one who is elected makes hundreds of promises while campaigning . Obama made 550, thats being tracked.
He's kept some, he's broken some, he's negoitated some, and some were stalled (by others), or have been completely rejected by other elected officials.

Some things are not as easy as just saying them. Some are unrealistic. Some are not legal.

Can name any president who kept all that he promised? Much is out of his control.

Not too many years ago, a Republican majority was elected based on a "Contract with America".
Not everything they promised was done. So they too were failures?
So he should be forgiven for promising things that are illegal?

Not being able to fulfill a promise because of things out of your control is one thing - he clearly couldn't sign a bill that the House/Senate didn't pass for example. Not fulfilling a promise he has 100% complete control over is another matter entirely, it's called being dishonest and lying by most people and Obama has done more of it than he can honestly account for.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:42 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
So he should be forgiven for promising things that are illegal?
In the sense that the court could overturn it. Just like (some of the) promises made in the Contract with America.
He promises, Congress creates. The court overturns.

Quote:
Not being able to fulfill a promise because of things out of your control is one thing - he clearly couldn't sign a bill that the House/Senate didn't pass for example. Not fulfilling a promise he has 100% complete control over is another matter entirely, it's called being dishonest and lying by most people and Obama has done more of it than he can honestly account for.
You promise your kid a trip to the zoo. It rains. You don't go. Your a liar?
Sh*t happens. Even when you have control.
What was a good idea yesterday, may not be possible today (for many reasons, including self-serving).

One needs to look at politicians on what they do, not what they say they might do (they do not have 100% control), or what others say they will or wont do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies