Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:15 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
California is already so far gone, it's probably pointless to care one way or another.
And are they gone because the republican's ruined the state or because of the liberal democrats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 12:37 PM

516 posts, read 1,376,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
The only thing that is on the tea party agenda is what Beck and Palin tell them what is on it.

I'm not even a huge fan of Palin... so please keep your generalities to yourself

Old 03-29-2010, 12:50 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
And are they gone because the republican's ruined the state or because of the liberal democrats?
California is not as left leaning democrat as you might think. Remember Southern/Inland California have a very strong conservative base. Yorba Linda/Orange County played a very important role in the shaping of modern conservatism. Both Nixon and Reagen come from Southern Cal. San Diego definitely has a strong republican influence as well. Of course the Bay Area and Sacramento are different stories.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:33 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
i could have sworn i posted this in the politics forum. But oh well. Didn't intend to post it here.

Making a post at 3 in the morning can sometimes lead to it being on the wrong forum.
Maybe you shouldn't be smoking when you start a new thread...

Old 03-29-2010, 04:07 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,501 times
Quote:
California is not as left leaning democrat as you might think. Remember Southern/Inland California have a very strong conservative base. Yorba Linda/Orange County played a very important role in the shaping of modern conservatism. Both Nixon and Reagen come from Southern Cal. San Diego definitely has a strong republican influence as well. Of course the Bay Area and Sacramento are different stories.
Nice try..... It's falling apart because of failed liberal policy.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:47 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Nice try..... It's falling apart because of failed liberal policy.
I guess you've never bothered to read about California. The current problems in California have little to do with republican vs democrat ideology. California has a strong boom and bust cycle, it always has. Yet, its tax revenue is from very volatile sources which tend to reinforce the boom/bust. Budgets are also extremely difficult to get passed in the California legislature.

As the other person stated, California is hardly a liberal heaven. Southern California is rather moderate, the Central Valley is conservative and the bay area is of course liberal.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:14 AM

628 posts, read 1,316,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
The only thing that is on the tea party agenda is what Beck and Palin tell them what is on it.
I might be classified a tea party supporter....I dont like big government..dont like higher taxes BUT...I dont like Palin and dont really care for Beck either. I do support the full legalization of marijuana in California and every other state in the union...sorta busts your idea of tea party conservatives, huh?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
The tea baggers should be supporting this legislation. After all why should the government tell an individual what they can drink, smoke or otherwise make amusements with.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:01 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
But will California tea partiers be swayed to vote against legalizing marijuana should government ads tell them that marijuana contains 400 chemicals?

Old 03-30-2010, 02:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
One of the biggest upcoming political debates is going to be a voter initiative in California on the legalization of cannabis at state level.

Whether you want to admit it or not, if this bill passes it is going to shake things up and challenge an incredibly large and powerful funded bureaucracy at state and federal level that has existed for almost 100 years.

So why aren't the tea party activists showing support for this initiative? If their goal is to push back for what they consider to be an intrusive government this would be another good start.

I thought these right wingers were all for liberty, personal freedom, less government interference, and individualism. Prohibition is a perfect example of government intervention into peoples personal lives. Yet, we most likely wont hear a single word from any of these groups. Republicans have long played the less government political card yet when it comes to prohibition of marijuana they take the toughest stance possible.

So, I'm guessing the right is full of hot air when it comes to liberty, personal freedom, and less government.
They have their minds other places. Maybe to you and a few this is the biggest issue facing the nation: to most, it really isn't. It affects a state that already has pot smokers standing on corners, who really cares?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies