Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 05:12 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I think there needs to be some evaluation of such, but the EPA has gone far beyond that. They have become their own legislative branch, dictating what is and isn't without the support to do so.

Or do you not remember DDT?

How about ETS?

And now the ever special Co2.

They are too big, have too much control, too much authority to dictate, regulate, and enforce their will and no controls on the influences they have.

You worry about "big corporations" and all of the evil they produce and yet turn a blind eye to the influence the green movement has had on the EPA?

No amount of freedom is worth giving up on "claims" of disaster and the EPA is the master of "claiming" such without properly supporting it.

So should something like it exist? To a very minimal extent and without the direct authority. It should be just as bureaucratically inefficient for them to dictate as it is other aspects of our government. Unfortunately, there is no check and balance for them and it has become a nest for corruption because of it.
I think it was pretty minimal during the Bush administration and I think that was bad for the country.

And yes, I do worry about corporations being able to stretch or ignore rules and poison the environment. The Green movement has had an effect on the EPA and I don't always agree with them... but, all in all, I think the EPA is on a better track now that what it was during the last admin.

We disagree... I have a feeling that's not going to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 07:07 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I think it was pretty minimal during the Bush administration and I think that was bad for the country.

And yes, I do worry about corporations being able to stretch or ignore rules and poison the environment. The Green movement has had an effect on the EPA and I don't always agree with them... but, all in all, I think the EPA is on a better track now that what it was during the last admin.

We disagree... I have a feeling that's not going to change.
Odd that the EPA's encroachment on individual liberty coincides with your increased approval?

Though on this I am certain we will never agree. I do not think liberty is something to be tossed aside based on the position that bad "could" result. It is a sales pitch for bondage.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Odd that the EPA's encroachment on individual liberty coincides with your increased approval?

Though on this I am certain we will never agree. I do not think liberty is something to be tossed aside based on the position that bad "could" result. It is a sales pitch for bondage.
I don't see the EPA taking away liberty... although you apparently do.

Take it easy...

Old 03-30-2010, 07:35 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I don't see the EPA taking away liberty... although you apparently do.

Take it easy...
So regulating and dictating, fining for refusal to adhere to dictation, or closing a place down because of it isn't limiting liberties?

Take it easy? Are you getting upset or something?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
So regulating and dictating, fining for refusal to adhere to dictation, or closing a place down because of it isn't limiting liberties?

Take it easy? Are you getting upset or something?
When the regulations are there to stop poisoning for our benefit... when dictating tells someone to stop poisoning for the sake of our health... or closing down an operation that has been warned repeatedly to stop poisoning due to possibly making the local population sick or even killing them... that's not limiting a liberty.

And me saying... "take it easy" is simply a salutation I often use... sort of like 'take care'.... meaning nothing more than... 'take it easy'.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:47 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I say there is no "acorn" anything looking over your shoulder and you are trolling the boards. Am I close?

I dont think there is acorn looking over my shoulder either, but I still dont like goverment in charge of most things in my life, and think the goverment both state and federal should be 1% of their current size.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:53 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post

I suspect those who are for big government are all for it as long as it is looking over everyone elses shoulders but theirs.

As those who claim to be for less government do a 180 when government supports their agenda.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:21 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
I must be living some sort of sheltered life, outside of 4 years in the military, getting my passport renewed, I can't think of once in nearly sixty years that I have had any contact with a Federal agency or employee, or have I ever noticed anyone in the Federal government telling me how to live my life. So, what are you folks doing to have all this interaction with the Fed?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:03 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
Quote:
Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Cooper, 29 November 1802

"if we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy."

But what did they know right? When Obama says things like that, it disappoints me as it is an affront to everything we stand for.
Thomas Jefferson?! Come on! If Obama was at the Constitutional Convention, he would have lectured on and on, wagging his finger at the others like they were little children. And then, if someone tried to ask a question, he would hold his hand up, to silence them. Stupid revolutionaries they were. Too bad ObamaCare wasn't there from the beginning!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:59 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
This is a tricky question, because just look at your many different answers on this subject. Your going to get those who want more big Governement and just as many who oppose Big Government. Your going to get many who want the Government to have a lesser role. There will never be agreement on this manner just take a lookat this forum, no two people will ever agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies