Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will the public view global warming over the next 20 years?
People will be less concerned as they learn that it's not a threat 26 40.00%
People will be less concerned even though the threat is real, because it won't impact their daily lives in the short run 6 9.23%
People will believe that it's a problem but won't be willing to do anything substantial about it 13 20.00%
People will have the same level of concern as today and the controversy will continue 12 18.46%
People will become more concerned even though the theory is incorrect 0 0%
People will be more concerned because the theory will be proven correct 9 13.85%
The world will unite to stop the dramatic changes that will be noticed in all parts of the world due to global warming 5 7.69%
The global warming issue will die and people will worry about other things 15 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,965,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMlost12 View Post
Seems to me like there are more glaciers dissapearing and the changes in the polar ice cap are quite dramatic, I wouldn't base any opinion on a cold winter in a certain area.

Dramatic? Notice the sea ice comparisons. Go ahead and put in various dates and do comparisons. Dramatic is not what I would use to describe the long terms analysis.

Daily Arctic Sea Ice Maps

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 10:06 AM

292 posts, read 544,512 times
This so called "global warming" is NOT real.

I repeat... NOT REAL!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:51 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,452,606 times
Lightbulb Predictions: Global Warming and Public Opinion

Global warming is not a matter of opinion, public or otherwise. The earth has been in a warming trend for thousands of years; since the end of the ice age.

More than likely, a warming trend is preferable to a cooling trend.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:22 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,073,423 times
Quote:
If I am reading this correctly the ice concentrations have greatly decreased in the last 30 years, great pictures.
Yeahh great pictures.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
If I am reading this correctly the ice concentrations have greatly decreased in the last 30 years, great pictures.

And how are you figuring this?

Notice density.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
It appears that purple is the highest density of sea ice followed by red, yellow, blue but very littel of any other color although the are covered by purple appears to be less in 2010
In some outlying areas yes, but the mass of the ice is denser. Also, if you read the current science of the issue, the melt is showing to be not from warming, but rather from wind patterns that have shifted and causes melt. This coincides with the largest melt areas being branches most vulnerable to this.

The main point is that there isn't a dramatic melt, in fact trends are currently showing growth that is closing back to that of earlier trends.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
The pictures you sent from the UI were from the NASA site, indicated below is a good animation of the receding ice cap at the North Pole. It goes kind of quick but you can step through it by year from 1979 to 2005. They also have 2 mages of 1979 and 2005 ice concentrations at the bottom of the page and I would say that is a dramatic loss. I could not find anthing relating th eloss to wind currents rather than warming.

SVS Animation 3266 - Sea Ice Minimum Concentration for 1979-2005

Still not sure why there is only one color on the UI website you sent but in their own words they indicate the dramatic loss of multi-year ice since 2007.

Polar Sea Ice Cap and Snow - Cryosphere Today
The attribution to wind comes from the following research:

Influence of winter and summer surface wind anomalies on summer Arctic sea ice extent

It doesn't discount warming, it is merely another fact that was not considered before when considering rate of melt and evidence to its cause.

As for dramatic, I will concede that if we are to narrow the window of assessment, there is a large loss in that time range, but I am interested why you think the return of extent is insignificant?

Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis

Observation System — Arctic ROOS

Total ice area from 1978 to present — Arctic ROOS

If we evaluate the decline of ice based on the same standards, then the loss is insignificant in its occurrence just as you mention the increase is. That is, if you look at the graph above, the return is almost back to its normal trend of roughly 2.6% per decade. Would not then the loss as you determine dramatic also make the return equally dramatic? Now obviously the point of contention made by those suggesting an ice free arctic is that this is simply a delay in the tipping point, but then this is a hopeful assessment that is attached to a bias.

The data is what it is. Yes, as you say a dramatic turn existed in a short period, yet as you also say, short time evaluation is not an appropriate measurement of the trend, though this is consistently the position by those in the field even though the long term trend is fairly consistent in its decline.

My point is that if we are to disregard the return, then we must also disregard the decline.

Depending on the source you use, their "commentary" on the data will vary. Some insert more assumptions of intent while others tend to provide more of a "here it is, you decide" type of analysis. Honestly, while I read what they provide in opinion, I take it with a grain of salt and pool from a larger source of opinions on what the data means (especially considering the revelations in the field that have administrations and some scientists purporting bias).

In the end, we have a down turn and an up turn in extent. Where it goes from there, time will tell. As for the cause, certainly there are numerous factors to consider. Warming is one, but there is also wind, and even volcanic influence as has been discovered in Greenland.

At the end of the day though, we have a 2.6% decline per decade to which a large decline indicated a pattern change in the 2006-2007, yet recovery placing it back into its trend 2008-2010. It is entirely possible that the extent could continue to grow taking us on trend or above it. There is also the possibility that the trend could increase in loss reaching the tipping point to which some seem to predict (though I honestly think this one very unlikely considering the data).

If I had to speculate, I think we may hit a track back to normal or above normal.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Also the graph you posted from the University of Colorado indicates an average ice loss of almost 400,000 sq miles over a 21 year period, you can't take 4 months or a year and draw the conclusion that there is a cooling trend. That is an enourmous amount of ice loss.
Nor can you with the extent of loss either to which 2006-2007 is greatly attributed to a "dramatic loss" spurring the opinion of an ice free zone.

As I said, the trend has been 2.6% loss per decade, that trend is consistent since 1979. There is no "dramatic" loss unless we assess only a small portion of the data to claim such.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 AM

20,484 posts, read 12,409,348 times
There isnt an option that deals with the hit science will take when people find out how scientists have been corrupted by politics.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
There isnt an option that deals with the hit science will take when people find out how scientists have been corrupted by politics.

That or their incompetence.

The new math – IPCC version « Watts Up With That?

Though, when you consider these points were brought up and still rejected without proper reasoning, it does seem to point to corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies