Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 08:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Another expired program. Guess Congress will be busy once they get back after their break.

Many are affected and don't even know it.

Congress allows National Flood Insurance Program to expire, for the second time this year | - NOLA.com

"The flood program lapsed Sunday night after Congress adjourned on Thursday without taking action on a bill, HR 4851, that would have extended the flood program, unemployment benefits and other federal programs.

Congress does not reconvene until April 12, meaning that homeowners could find themselves without coverage and real estate closings in flood-prone areas may be scuttled for two weeks."

Here's another one..the USDA rural housing program expired as well.

Real Estate Blog - ALERT: National Flood Insurance Program Expired March 28t...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:23 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Tom Coburn R-Oklahoma should replace Congress in the title.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
This came out a few days ago. It is already causing problems with closings. One has to wonder if the insurance will be made retroactive for those betting hit hard by flooding in the upper Midwest and in the Northeast. Rhode Island has been hit especially hard.

Can you imagine the fall out if people were left without coverage, without their knowledge?

Yep, government sure can handle insurance. Can't wait to see them do this with socialized medical insurance.

Obama mentioned the purchase of 500 new "environmentally friendly" government vehicles yesterday. My question is: Will the POTUS, his czars, and Congress all fit on 500 short buses?

Old 04-01-2010, 08:49 PM

That's several programs or doc fixes that Congress just let lapse and they took off on "break" with nary a concern.

Look at what we've done to ourselves...dependent on a government that acts on their own whim and fancy and pass what they want to pass when they want to pass it.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This came out a few days ago. It is already causing problems with closings. One has to wonder if the insurance will be made retroactive for those betting hit hard by flooding in the upper Midwest and in the Northeast. Rhode Island has been hit especially hard.

Can you imagine the fall out if people were left without coverage, without their knowledge?

Yep, government sure can handle insurance. Can't wait to see them do this with socialized medical insurance.

Obama mentioned the purchase of 500 new "environmentally friendly" government vehicles yesterday. My question is: Will the POTUS, his czars, and Congress all fit on 500 short buses?

Congress has said it will be passed retroactively. Btw, again this is something being held up by one of the most hard right individuals in either chamber.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Congress has said it will be passed retroactively. Btw, again this is something being held up by one of the most hard right individuals in either chamber.
As long as they re-institute it retroactively fine.

Truly these programs need to go away completely. People should provide thier own flood insurance (and their own health insurance). The rural USDA loans are not competative with the private mortgage market, IMO. At least it wasn't when I tried to use it a few years ago.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Smash255, if you notice I did not reference any party and instead said "Congress" and "our government".

Medicare 21% cut not extended.
Flood insurance not extended.
USDA loans not extended.

What else lapsed while they were busy arguing over health care ?
Do you realize how much we are just handing over to the government to manage and run for us ? Do you see how we've lost private industry to a government that is not out to make a profit so competition is moot ?

Now they've taken over student loans and I'm sure the current health care bill is just a step towards total government ownership.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Smash255, if you notice I did not reference any party and instead said "Congress" and "our government".

Medicare 21% cut not extended.
Flood insurance not extended.
USDA loans not extended.

What else lapsed while they were busy arguing over health care ?
Do you realize how much we are just handing over to the government to manage and run for us ? Do you see how we've lost private industry to a government that is not out to make a profit so competition is moot ?

Now they've taken over student loans and I'm sure the current health care bill is just a step towards total government ownership.

I know you didn't pass blame on either side I was simply pointing out that one man is responsible for holding this all up. All of it passed the House, Tom Coburn put what is called a 'hold' on the legislation in the Senate which prevents the Senate from taking up the bill.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
As long as they re-institute it retroactively fine.

Truly these programs need to go away completely. People should provide thier own flood insurance (and their own health insurance). The rural USDA loans are not competative with the private mortgage market, IMO. At least it wasn't when I tried to use it a few years ago.
It is extremely hard to find a mortgage lender in rural areas.
I didn't go USDA..I wouldn't qualify, but the Farm Credit Bureau is where I landed. No one wanted to give me a small mortgage ..I even put 80% down. It's 45 acres with a home 10 miles from town. I tried 2 CU's and a big bank..those guys won't touch anything over 9.99 acres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies