Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:07 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

Bullying is a real problem. Cyber bullying is as well. Anyone doubting that is a fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 03:08 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Cant blame some HS kid if they bullied someone, and then they killed themselves.

Guy should be a man and fist fight them or something. Not just commit suicide cause some guy calls you a name. Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words cant hurt you. what happened to that?
I agree these kids shouldn't commit suicide over this but fighting back isn't that easy. Generally the kids doing the bullying tend to pick on kids smaller than them and sometimes you can have a group going after one kid. So it can be difficult for a smaller kid to fight a bully who's bigger than them and when there's more than one bully. We need to put more focus on stopping the bullies who again delibertly choose to pick on kids smaller than them. It's the bullies who are the cowrads. Bullies rarely pick on kids their size or larger.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:11 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
My point was that electronic harrassment, made possible by cellphones, social networking and GPS, makes bullying an easy group activity and far more threatening and damaging because there is no respite after school and at night. There is also a much larger potential audience for the victim's shame.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
My point was that electronic harrassment, made possible by cellphones, social networking and GPS, makes bullying an easy group activity and far more threatening and damaging because there is no respite after school and at night.
You may have a point, but you are talking to, I was going to say Neanderthals but that would be insulting to Neanderthals...

I'm out of here, I don't need the high blood pressure.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:15 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,647 times
Lord have mercy! Honestly dude, what kind of crap is that? Granted, I think I'm probably the only other person on this forum who believes that it isn't just bullying that causes suicide. Honestly, I think the kid has to have other problems within themselves to go so far as to end their own life.
I also understand that most of those kids also never speak about their problems. I know because a friend of mine committed suicide my senior year of high school. He was a great guy and had tons of friends, I being one of them. Nobody ever bullied him and he never bullied anyone. I don't know.
Anyway, the short of it is I think it's incredibly insensitive to say that any of those kids should have fought back and that would have fixed everything. That's just not the case.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:16 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I agree these kids shouldn't commit suicide over this but fighting back isn't that easy. Generally the kids doing the bullying tend to pick on kids smaller than them and sometimes you can have a group going after one kid. So it can be difficult for a smaller kid to fight a bully who's bigger than them and when there's more than one bully. We need to put more focus on stopping the bullies who again delibertly choose to pick on kids smaller than them. It's the bullies who are the cowrads. Bullies rarely pick on kids their size or larger.
Not just physically smaller, but kids who are considered weak in other ways as well. Emotionally, mentally, intellectually, etc. It's like in nature when the pack tries to take out the weakest members. It's animalistic really.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:25 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
No. But if i was getting bullied i would fight people. And because people knew that, it didnt happen Always wondered why people getting bullied didnt fight back.
What if it were 9 on 1 you would fight back? Are you sure? Honesty check here and a chance to redeem yourself at least in part.
I'll let it out here a little bit. Former member of SBT US Navy. I was trained to do a lot of things. 9 on 1 is just about 100% you will get pounded. Even a H.S Kid knows this. They will not fight back. They will hope and pray that a teacher or some other authority figure will step in to help them. They hope that an adult who knows right from wrong will save them. This is a false hope of course, because it all relies upon 1 thing. The adults in charge need to actually care about the children in their care. They have to be less entertained by the exchange and more outraged at the obvious degradation of the victim.
But of course this hope is not a reality because not many teachers actually care that much to get involved. Now how do I know?
Born with a bi-lateral cleft of the lip and pallet. Went through my first 6 years of school with a very flat nose and a horseshoe scar on my upper lip. Yeah everyday was a beat down by the bullies. My dad who was my hero til the day he died was from the mountains of Wyoming. He firmly believed that 1 or 10 you stand and fight like a man. I was also under sized. I weighed 68 pounds in 8th grade. Fortunately 10th grade I had the mother of all growth spurts. No coming home crying either or else we get in the car and go look for the boys. Then I had the honor of fighting them 1 at a time. win lose or draw. My dad was an awesome man. Fighter pilot, Rodeo cowboy, expert shot with a rifle. But no clue what it was to be the small hair lip in school.
Fight back against the bullies? Even if you do the bullies friends always jump in. Been there and walked that mile.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:25 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Cant blame some HS kid if they bullied someone, and then they killed themselves.

Guy should be a man and fist fight them or something. Not just commit suicide cause some guy calls you a name. Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words cant hurt you. what happened to that?
If you are talking about the 15 year old GIRL from Massachusetts than you are completely off your rocker. 10 students, male and female, from the same age up to 18 harassed this child in school, outside of school, online, basically everywhere. Oh and one of them is now charged with RAPE. Is that really "sticks and stones"??

It is one thing to harass or tease someone who can get away from the situation but when a child is bullied by schoolmates they have no way to get away unless they drop out of school.

The children who bullied this girl are not legally responsible for this girls death but they surely are morally responsible for at least a portion of the state of mind she was in. They are also legally responsible for criminal harassment and possibly worse.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
My point was that electronic harrassment, made possible by cellphones, social networking and GPS, makes bullying an easy group activity and far more threatening and damaging because there is no respite after school and at night. There is also a much larger potential audience for the victim's shame.
I think you posted this before. I'll say my piece again, too. My friend's son was bullied in the early 90s, before a lot of this technology. He had his bike stolen (theft), their house was TPd (vandalism), and other acts committed all outside of school time. Someone else posted about receiving harassing phone calls, I think in the 70s. The more things change, the more they stay the same. The only difference, as I see it, is that bullying can be done over the WWW.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:27 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
People respect people who have principle and will fight. Even if you get your ass kicked, if you will fight someone, they would definitely leave you alone.

Fighting makes trouble and if they know some guy is willing to fight them, they will just move on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies