Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 02:54 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
[Absolutely not.

This is wealth redistribution Reagan stile.
Where the taxes go so does the money in the economy. You want to ***** about the “poor” on government assistance free loading. Well that is a symptom of wealth redistribution. The rich are getting richer at the middle classes expense making them poor. And if they stop spending money like they were middle class well the economy would collapse. So they need to be earning more money. You know working for what they get and all that stuff. Cut the entitlements and give them a pay raise that is what is needed.
Ok let me see if I have you correct. By reducing the tax burden on the Rich, they begin to spend more (invest in new business, take risks, etc...) which then results in more opportunities for those in the middle and lower classes allowing them to effectively increase their incomes as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 02:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This isn't the first time this has been posted, by you maybe? I don't know anyone like this. Sorry. If you do then you need to deal with your own. More likely it's your fantasy "what if" or a conglomeration of several things you have "heard". Pfft.

Nope. I see it every single day at work. And I lived amongst it. Inconvenient truth, but truth nonetheless.

For some reason, it makes liberals feel better to think this is all a lie. But it's not. Sad, but true.

As to the 'poor' accumulating more wealth...that is done through work and savings. Not people handing them more money to mismanage.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Ok let me see if I have you correct. By reducing the tax burden on the Rich, they begin to spend more (invest in new business, take risks, etc...) which then results in more opportunities for those in the middle and lower classes allowing them to effectively increase their incomes as well?
I'm not even rich. Just upper middle class. But when I have more money, I employ more people and spend more. When I have less, the opposite is true.

As soon as the new Obama tax hikes take effect, goodbye pool man, gardener, and maid. Goodbye monthly trips for a massage. Goodbye wine.com purchases. I have to make up for that loss somewhere. And it won't be from my savings.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:04 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm not even rich. Just upper middle class. But when I have more money, I employ more people and spend more. When I have less, the opposite is true.

As soon as the new Obama tax hikes take effect, goodbye pool man, gardener, and maid. Goodbye monthly trips for a massage. Goodbye wine.com purchases. I have to make up for that loss somewhere. And it won't be from my savings.
Oh no, no, no. You cannot get rid of the pool boy. I've oft dreamed of having a pool boy... *sigh* need a pool first though.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Oh no, no, no. You cannot get rid of the pool boy. I've oft dreamed of having a pool boy... *sigh* need a pool first though.
Lol...it's just the guy who comes once a week to clean, balance chemicals, backwash, check on filters/motors, etc.

No...not someone you want to see without his shirt on.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:14 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinChicago View Post
The Entitlement Society feels that having a flat-screen T.V. 2 new late model cars, rent paid by Section 8, free education, free health care, kids dressed in latest Nike/Jordan fashion, Aid, aid, and more aid, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner at MickeyD's and Red Lobster, $200 dollar do's, weekly visits to the nail salon....
I know very few people who are living like that. Most people I know who've fallen on hard times are making the necessary sacrifices. In the past, they might've bought things they didn't need like flat-screen TVs, video game consoles, and expensive clothes. But now that they've lost their jobs or seen their hours scaled back, they're cutting back on unnecessary expenditures. I think a lot of people on the right just assume that everyone out there who's struggling is guilty of not saving. That's a stereotype about the poor. It's easier to think they're all a bunch of irresponsible lazy people looking for handouts than believe that they might actually be doing what the rest of us would do doing hard times, which is cut spending. I've had ex-coworkers who've lost their jobs dramatically scale back. No going out to eat, no new clothes, no deficit financed trips to Best Buy to get the latest gear, cancellation of cable and other non-essential services. Some have sold their cars and either gotten cheaper cars or learned to get by on one car per family. A lot of them have begun dipping into their savings to continue paying their bills. Most are trying to sell their homes, but just can't find buyers no matter how low they drop their price. But if you listened to people like Glen Beck or Hannity, you'd think every unemployed American out there is just a deadbeat looking to the government to give em free money. Guys like that need to get out of their studios and see how people are really living.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:14 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Nothing is extremist about living within your means......if you can.

Medical costs, transit costs, housing costs. Food costs. It all adds up. Frequently, it adds up to more than what an individual can make without sacrificing something, time, health, neglecting family.

By the way, I love the stereotype that anyone with low income is irresponsible and frivilous with money. You right wingers cling to that more than Glen Becks nonsensical rants.

If a whole population is expected to live on say 20K per year because thats the wage dictated by the wealthy, then why do the wealthy need 1 million instead of two? Why do these big banking firms need their huge bonuses. Live within their means, right? Their means obviously isn't much if they led us into the current financial mess. Pretty incompotent if they couldn't see the problems their own flawed policies were creating. I dare say they deserve less than a guy cleaning floors or preparing my food because they obviously can't do their job that well in comparison.

I would have been fine with pre Reagan levels of taxing, but now you've inspired me to want the government to take it all. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Oh yeah, wealth redistribution happens right now. The wealthy's share of the total resources is continuously increasing. Its not like we have balance, the wealthy are the ones stealing, whether you want to believe it or not.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:16 PM

"The share"? You act like money and wealth is finite and if one person has a million dollars, no one else can have a bite of the pie. Talk about nonsensical ranting.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:17 PM

769 posts, read 887,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
"flat-screen T.V. 2 new late model cars, rent paid by Section 8, free education, free health care, kids dressed in latest Nike/Jordan fashion, Aid, aid, and more aid, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner at MickeyD's and Red Lobster, $200 dollar do's, weekly visits to the nail salon.... "

I don't know why they insist on perpertrating these stereotypes of leftists. I don't receive any government handout or aid, I drive a reliable car that is over 10 years old, I don't get section 8, I took out loans and repaid them in full for my eduction, I have to pay for my health care insurance, my kid doesn't wear Nike/Jordan, I rarely eat at McDonald's, in fact I rarely eat out, I have never been to Red Lobster, never been to the nail salon, and my spouse cuts my hair. About the only luxury I have, which I paid for, is a flat screen tv. I bought after getting rid of my 15 year old tv. Most of my lefty friends have similar lifestyles. They are not interested in status symbols or luxuries.

The stereotype isn't that you are like this. It is that the people you believe just need a little extra help 'cause life dealt them a bad hand' are like this.

Personally, I grew up in a...nicely put, not middle class area. (not upper either). And I am being 100% honest, all the poor people living in that town were like this. Couldn't pay for their childs school lunch so they got it for free, yet they had the lastest Playstation system and probably close to 500 DVDs. So growing up, this is all I saw of the people that were getting government assistance. Not a shocker that I am completely against it.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:18 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Lets say you give me some money. What would I do

Risk it on something that could lose all of the money I was given. So I in effect have gained nothing.

OR

Pocket it for myself. Put it in a bank account...etc.

Difficult choice. I wonder what I would do?

If trickle down really worked, class inequality would have decreased since Reagen. Can you show me some clear cut evidence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies