Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:11 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Hellooooooo?

I think it is well proven WHO has the same tired old deflections and answers.
Yes it is, that would be you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:23 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Epic Fail.

All one really needs to do is contrast and compare.

Every single post is exactly the same.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:32 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
BOTH parties talk up small businesses but their policies end up helping large corporations. Of course why wouldn't they? Corporations make the biggest campaign contributions/bribes/whatever.

You can try to blame liberals and say they're the ones "crushing" small businesses but most small businesses are hurting due to lower customer demand. People are out of work and they're trying to spend only on the necessities.

You can try to shout that tax cuts leads to prosperity but we've been consistently cutting taxes for the wealthiest Americans and we're still losing jobs to overseas countries.

These corporations could care less about American workers. If they can find the labor cheaper somewhere else, that's where they will move. All the tax cuts in the world won't make up for that.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/hoard...ry?id=10250559

Old 04-04-2010, 07:36 PM

37,218 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Obama pledged to have the war over by 2009, Are we still on schedule? Its 2010
Obama's Iraq Pledge Sets The Stage - CBS News
If you quit watching the news and learning anything in 2008 you have a problem.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:41 PM

938 posts, read 1,230,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Got any better ideas of how to fix the massive deficit?
stay on topic

Old 04-04-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
At one extreme, ever more dominant Goliaths increasingly lack any real incentive to create new jobs; after all, many can increase their earnings merely by using their power to charge customers more or pay suppliers less. At the other extreme, the people who run our small enterprises enjoy fewer opportunities than in the past to grow their businesses. The Goliaths of today are so big and so adept at protecting their turf that they leave few niches open to exploit.
Who Broke America’s Jobs Machine? - Barry C. Lynn and Phillip Longman

Old 04-04-2010, 07:51 PM

Default Here's the Republican tax policy

Old 04-04-2010, 07:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
These corporations could care less about American workers. If they can find the labor cheaper somewhere else, that's where they will move. All the tax cuts in the world won't make up for that.
In a global economy you either cut costs or go out of business. They have no choice if they want to remain competitive. US regulations, taxation, unions and many other things make it unprofitable to do business here. Now they are piling on more costs with health care and want to pile even more costs on with Cap and Trade... Reap what you sow.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
PurpleLove08 let me give you an example from the real world of what US business's face and you tell me what the solution is. I personally know the former owner of a small manufacturing business that makes coal stoves. He recently sold it but that is besides the point and really has nothing to do with what I'm about to explain.

This business employs a about 20 or 30 people that make a decent wage and the make a very good product. A few years back he was approached by Chinese manufacturer that proposed making his product in China and shipping here fully assembled in a box ready for installation cheaper than what he was making them for. He could have closed up shop and ran his business from a recliner without all the hassle that goes along with doing business here and made more profit as well.

To his credit he declined but he also had that option because overseas competition doesn't really exist at the present time in this niche market.

Let's fast forward to today and the new owners who have invested an enormous amount of assets and time into their new business. Let's suppose "Joe Stoves" down the street is approached by the same Chinese company and he takes the offer.

Here's my question, what do you propose the new owners of this company do when they are suddenly being undercut by a known brand that is now manufactured in China and see their business evaporating?

Old 04-04-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
PurpleLove08 let me give you an example from the real world of what US business's face and you tell me what the solution is. I personally know the former owner of a small manufacturing business that makes coal stoves. He recently sold it but that is besides the point and really has nothing to do with what I'm about to explain.

This business employs a about 20 or 30 people that make a decent wage and the make a very good product. A few years back he was approached by Chinese manufacturer that proposed making his product in China and shipping here fully assembled in a box ready for installation cheaper than what he was making them for. He could have closed up shop and ran his business from a recliner without all the hassle that goes along with doing business here and made more profit as well.

To his credit he declined but he also had that option because overseas competition doesn't really exist at the present time in this niche market.

Let's fast forward to today and the new owners who have invested an enormous amount of assets and time into their new business. Let's suppose "Joe Stoves" down the street is approached by the same Chinese company and he takes the offer.

Here's my question, what do you propose the new owners of this company do when they are suddenly being undercut by a known brand that is now manufactured in China and see their business evaporating?
I'd propose they vote for people who will do away with disastrous trade policies that favor offshoring.
In a perfect world, the Chinese would make the goods their people need, India would make the good their people need, so on and so forth. We'd only trade with companies in the event we can't make the products ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
In a global economy you either cut costs or go out of business. They have no choice if they want to remain competitive. US regulations, taxation, unions and many other things make it unprofitable to do business here. Now they are piling on more costs with health care and want to pile even more costs on with Cap and Trade... Reap what you sow.
Yeah, those HORRIBLE regulations that prevent companies from treating their employees like complete and utter crap and prevent companies from completely ruining the air and water in this country. I know, how horrible.

Do you want us to start looking like China with polluted rivers and polluted air? I'm not saying U.S. companies don't dump crap in our water but it's not as widespread as in China.

Those horrible unions for giving a voice to the working people of this country, giving them a platform to air grievances and try to work for better wages, better benefits, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies