Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:52 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why don't you look into that, and tell us how many poor women qualify, and more importantly, how many don't? There are many, many women who don't have insurance, don't qualify for Medicaid, and do without medical care.
Here you go. One state. One synopsis. While I wish every woman had coverage, i'm not crying when I read statistics like this:

Last month the state of Nebraska denied prenatal Medicaid benefits for more than 1,540 women, including about 840 who are in the country illegally.

Here is the breakdown of the other 709 women denied prenatal care under the new rules, which look at the mother's situation, not that of the unborn child.

Over income: 50

Failure to provide information, income not verified: 415 (includes 137 whose citizenship is not verified).

Sanctioned because they refused to cooperate with Employment First rules or with child support enforcement: 124.

Moved out of the state: 17

Minor teen, whose parents income is now considered: 1

No longer pregnant: 56

In jail or prison: 6

Other: 40

Around the Rotunda: Prenatal Medicaid coverage numbers

Sorry, you won't find a bleeding heart here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 09:56 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think you should look into this further. There is no real general rule. Your general rule is a national average. But in the poorest states, the cut-off point for medicaid are much lower. For instance, Alabama's cut-off point is 24% of the national poverty level. If you earn one-fourth of the income that is set as the national povery level, you earn too much to qualify.

I think you should source the 24%. I'm seeing 133% on official Alabama webpages.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 04-06-2010 at 10:13 AM..

Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Of course you'd source the lowest common denominator. I expected nothing less. Too bad averages are how resources are doled out.

I think you should source the 24%. I'm seeing 133% on official Alabama webpages.
The 24% is for single adults without children.

Pregnancy moves you into a special group where it's 133%. Current poverty level is just under $11,000/year. 133% moves you to just over $24,000. Before taxes. My statement was that many women who live in poverty don't qualify. And that's upheld by the figures. Your statement was that all pregnant women living in poverty can get medicaid. I pointed out that that is false.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:21 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Ever notice that pro abortion people have a maturity level below that of even the fetuses they abort?

They litereally are so self absorbed as to be more childish than children.

Their logic is basically "don't tell me what to do! I should be able to do whatever I want, even kill my child! oh PS, you have to pay for it! TEE HEE!"
Yes, the last line of your post displays a level of maturity that the rest of us can only ever dream of achieving.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:56 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Loss of life like this = to me.

Anyone that thinks this was NOT a life just think if your Mom did that to you at that term.

My personal beliefs:

LIFE NOT DEATH.

LOVE NOT HATE.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Loss of life like this = to me.

Anyone that thinks this was NOT a life just think if your Mom did that to you at that term.

My personal beliefs:

LIFE NOT DEATH.

LOVE NOT HATE.

And you realize that about miscarriages are common, that many fertilized eggs never attach, and that even when they do, more pregnancies end by miscarriage than by abortion? Mother nature aborts far more fetuses than doctors do.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:16 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
What a strange story. I can only imagine a woman going through a miscarriage and freaking out.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
Here is the story of a fetus found in Kentucky, less than 20 weeks, that was determined to be from a miscarriage.

Fetus found at Iroquois High was result of miscarriage - WAVE 3 - Louisville, KY

How many of you so-called pro-lifers would want their tax dollars provide prenatal care for a poor woman and lessen the chances of a miscarriage and healthy baby born. Probably not many.
wanta bet!!! I think most of us would want good care for a mother and her unborn baby, regradless of who is paying for it. Don't be so quick to judge on something you have little knowledge of.

Ceece, I do agree with you, if that was the case, I can understand someone totally freaking and not knowing what to do or where to turn.. I just take offense with those who think, because someone is pro choice they also would not want to help a mother and her child regardless of the financual circumstances. In fact, I find that pretty condradictory. If you are pro life, you will do anything to protect the unborn.

Nita

Old 04-06-2010, 01:33 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
I don't think that this was an abortion -- but to miscarry an almost 20 week fetus is not an easy thing. It would feel very much like giving birth and take quite a long time to happen. I can't imagine what that woman/girl was thinking....

Old 04-06-2010, 01:55 PM

223 posts, read 169,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I don't think that this was an abortion -- but to miscarry an almost 20 week fetus is not an easy thing. It would feel very much like giving birth and take quite a long time to happen. I can't imagine what that woman/girl was thinking....
I'll bet she was scared to death and panicked.
So would I if I were alone and didn't understand what was happening to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wanta bet!!! I think most of us would want good care for a mother and her unborn baby, regradless of who is paying for it. Don't be so quick to judge on something you have little knowledge of.

Ceece, I do agree with you, if that was the case, I can understand someone totally freaking and not knowing what to do or where to turn.. I just take offense with those who think, because someone is pro choice they also would not want to help a mother and her child regardless of the financual circumstances. In fact, I find that pretty condradictory. If you are pro life, you will do anything to protect the unborn.

Nita
Maybe because so many on "that" side believe in the right to life until birth; then they refer to anyone who gets services as a freeloader and other choice descriptors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies