Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:02 AM

131 posts, read 219,994 times

Advertisements

How many of those household are illegals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 AM

37,819 posts, read 41,130,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender1968 View Post
You know the irony in this thread?

I just looked up at what income level you start paying taxes and it is between $5 & $15.

Which basically means, for a typical family of four (the nuclear family of today), the following math is applicable:

Standard deduction: $11,400
Exemptions: $14,600
Total deductions: $26,000

This basically means that a family of 4, making an income of less than $26,000 has no tax liability. The figure is actually higher than this because of the child tax credit and assuming both children in this scenario meet the definition to qualify for the child tax credit, the result is no actual taxes would be paid until they reach an income of $36,000.

Now that is slightly higher this year due to "making work pay" tax credit.

In the end, a family of 4 will start to have an actual tax liability, somewhere in the 39-42K range.

So the true problem you have pointed out here is not covered in this thread, and it is:

How can the richest most prosperous nation in the world have 47% of it families, below such modest income levels?

If you look at it that way, it kinda takes the wind out most of the arguments on this thread in my opinion.

Memphis1979, thanks for calling like it is
You forgot the Earned Income Tax Credit, the big scam.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:

I just looked up at what income level you start paying taxes and it is between $5 & $15.

Which basically means, for a typical family of four (the nuclear family of today), the following math is applicable:

This basically means that a family of 4, making an income of less than $26,000 has no tax liability. The figure is actually higher than this because of the child tax credit and assuming both children in this scenario meet the definition to qualify for the child tax credit, the result is no actual taxes would be paid until they reach an income of $36,000.

In the end, a family of 4 will start to have an actual tax liability, somewhere in the 39-42K range.

So the true problem you have pointed out here is not covered in this thread, and it is:

How can the richest most prosperous nation in the world have 47% of it families, below such modest income levels?

If you look at it that way, it kinda takes the wind out most of the arguments on this thread in my opinion.

Richest nation on earth?
We don't have the highest standard of living that's for sure

Old 04-08-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Obama held true to his word. God bless the man. Can't wait to hear how the teaparty advocates react to this.
God bless him for what?
What has he done other than transfer huge sums of tax dollars to international bankers and push a health care bill written by insurance companies for benefit of insurance companies?

Wait until you or one of your family members cannot get the medical care, tests or treatments they need.
Just remember that when it happens.

Then you'll see how foolish your Obama worship is.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:14 AM

199 posts, read 320,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
Richest nation on earth?
We don't have the highest standard of living that's for sure

You are correct, but interestingly, the nations with the highest standard of living actually pay a substantial amount more in taxes than we do.

Be careful how you look at this and also be careful how this "standard of living" is determined.

There is a LOT of misleading propaganda out there, kind of like "Wag the Dog"

Old 04-08-2010, 07:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,922,726 times
I believe the minimum taxable income should be at the 85th percentile or around 10 times the 24 grand. The rest should be taxed on an all income from all sources ibase n a logarithmically increasing rate.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 AM

38,399 posts, read 22,357,569 times
I saw that headline on Drudge. While I think it's good that people get to keep more of their money, every American who is able to, should be paying something into the federal government, even if all it consists of is their own social security and medicare taxes.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 AM

39,922 posts, read 26,631,982 times
Quote:

Have you looked at the EITC and how it effects the calculation? I know a fellow engineer with a middle class income, modest mortgage deduction and 2 kids got more back than he put in.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,965,183 times
The top 10% of incomes pay 73% of all Federal income tax.

The bottom 40% of incomes actually pay no tax and get money back.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:36 AM

199 posts, read 320,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Have you looked at the EITC and how it effects the calculation? I know a fellow engineer with a middle class income, modest mortgage deduction and 2 kids got more back than he put in.
As an Engineer, I would expect your friend is very underpaid or has a very creative accountant

Assuming I have calculated my math correctly, a family of 5; married filing jointly with 3 children under 17 for the entire year will not pay any taxes until they earn and AGI of more than $53,650

For a family of 4, 2 adults & 2 kids it is around $42,100, and in this case EITC would give them a small return around 700 bucks.

You have to look at the math close, but most families are not going to be paying taxes till well in the 40K to 50K range.

Obviously their are variables, but that is fairly close.

Just remember this, a qualifying child for the "child tax credit" is one that has not reached the age of 17 during the tax year. That's funny, mine did not get cheaper by any stretch when they turned 17, hell I am quite positive the cost went up drastically about that time

It's been so long since I was able to do EIC I can't accurately tell you what a "qualifying child" is in its determination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies